The TrashCan - 3D Printed

smee

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Apr 9, 2018
Hey SFF Forums!

This is my first post here, I've been a LONG time lurker and decided it's time to build something new. I tend to get the build-itch once a year and part-out an old system to make room for a new one. Two years ago I built an NCase M1 (V3) which was friggin sweet, however, it wasn't much of a challenge in terms of cramming hardware in there... and I like a good challenge.

A little about me: I'm in my mid-twenties, I work from home as a Cloud Engineer (AWS) for a local tech company, I am a musician and love being creative in general. I was born and raised here in the Bay Area of CA and grew up in my Father's wood shop. I mention that because you'll see some of his handy work here later. :cool:

Down to business:
First off, I don't have a 3D printer and did not design or create this case! I was lurking eBay and came across this 3D Printed mini-ITX case that someone created as a project for his HTPC at home. His friends said, "Hey, that's pretty neat, you should make a few more and sell them online!" Here is the eBay listing:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Mini-I...e-Custom-Designed-Rugged-Stylish/112738026600
(In case that link goes bad in the future, here is a backup album of all the seller's original photos from the listing: )

Upon receiving the case I pinged the guy asking for more details about the build, asked if he had a build log somewhere (he did not). He only sent me a few more pictures of the case which aren't in the eBay listing. I let him know I'd do a build log online and give him the credit for the case.

For $99 I couldn't pass it up and bought it with the justification that, "It's about time I built a SFF computer."

For rather obvious reasons, I dub this build: The TrashCan

Parts list:

Some of these parts I already had on hand, all others have been ordered or I need to pickup at the local comp shop. I also plan to build a control box for this thing.

CPU - Ryzen 1700
GPU - Zotac GTX 1080 Mini
MB - Gigabyte AB350 Gaming Mini ITX
RAM - G.Skill DDR4 16GB 3200Mhz
PSU - HDPlex 400W + Dell 330W
SSD - Samsung NVMe 250GB M.2 + Crucial MX500GB SATA SSD

Cooling:
GPU = Stock
CPU = Cryorig C7 Low Profile
Top Exhaust Fan = 120mm (140mm??) ~ TBD ~

External Control box:
Temp Sensors
On/Off switch for computer
On/Off switch for AC-DC power
Fan Controller?

~~~~~~

Overall, this is going to be a tricky case to cram all this hardware in. Obviously, a dell brick is not going to fit in there but I've got a plan for that. More pics are coming as I've been working on this all week already, just been late to posting online. Stay tuned!!

~smee

smee

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Apr 9, 2018
Ita beautiful. More like a soda can? How exactly does it vent?

Oh snap! I haven't thought of it like that until now! It does look like a soda can...

Airflow is bottom to top: Cold air pulled from the bottom through vents in the base, heat will be exhausted with a fan at the top of the case (pulling air out).

~~~~~~~~~~~

More pics and an unfortunate mishap with USPS. :mad:

Showing the top vent and the Zotac 1080 mini peaking through...

Clear view of the mobo mount and SSD mount:

And now for the bad news... I bought a refurbished GA-AB350N-Gaming for $90, thought I'd save a few bucks. The package arrived looking quite sad:

The box inside (There was NO additional packaging or barrier to protect the mobo):

Mobo was sliding around freely, the severe scuffing of the bag were more red flags...

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: Someone either stepped on the box or it got smashed in between something during transit...

Okay so regardless, I wanted to test the fit to the case:

The mobo mount actually doesn't secure to the base as I thought it would, there are two nubs that insert into the base and it stands upright by utilizing the USB and Audio hubs on either corner of I/O.

Regarding the bent mobo: I've already returned it, ordered and received a brand new mobo. :p

More pics coming!!

loader963

King of Cable Management
Jan 21, 2017
You know, I'm surprised we dont see more 3d printed cases than we do. It is a nice design but if it was mine, I'd prefer some color. Did the parts fit pretty good or was there some tolerance issues?

As for the mobo, what a mess! Did you pick that up at the post office and did you sign a damaged paper with them? That is horrible and I hope they did not deliver it like that without you first seeing it. And I also blame the seller for not shipping it with better protection.

Reactions: smee

smee

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Apr 9, 2018
You know, I'm surprised we dont see more 3d printed cases than we do. It is a nice design but if it was mine, I'd prefer some color. Did the parts fit pretty good or was there some tolerance issues?

I totally agree! I hope to see more 3D printed cases around here, I'm considering picking up a printer for myself...
I definitely would have loved to have the case in a dark cherry red, but hey.. for $99, I'll take it. XD
No tolerance issues, thankfully. I've got some close-ups coming shortly.

As for the mobo, what a mess! Did you pick that up at the post office and did you sign a damaged paper with them? That is horrible and I hope they did not deliver it like that without you first seeing it. And I also blame the seller for not shipping it with better protection.

Unfortunately, it was delivered while I was not at home so I didn't have a choice. I got in touch with the seller, idyiashop, through Newegg and they sent me a refund. :/

XeaLouS

Cable-Tie Ninja
Dec 29, 2015
I totally agree! I hope to see more 3D printed cases around here, I'm considering picking up a printer for myself...
I definitely would have loved to have the case in a dark cherry red, but hey.. for $99, I'll take it. XD
No tolerance issues, thankfully. I've got some close-ups coming shortly.
paint it!

loader963

King of Cable Management
Jan 21, 2017
I think the red would have looked awesome. I wonder what size printer he used. And I’m glad to hear if fit right, I’ve heard some 3d printers leave a bit of leeway in that regard.

And not to be a stickler, but you should really file a complaint to your postmaster about that box. They are supposed to let you inspect it before acceptance when obvious shipping damage has occurred. Seller should have shipped better, but they should still be expected to follow their rules and standards. As a fellow seller on eBay this really irks me.

smee

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Apr 9, 2018
paint it!

Great idea! However, the white is kind of growing on me. I may just leave it. :)

Does it make me an alcoholic that the first thing I thought when I saw it was "mini-keg?"

Ahahaha, mini-keg would be a great name. Newcastle looks quite appetizing right now.

I think the red would have looked awesome. I wonder what size printer he used. And I’m glad to hear if fit right, I’ve heard some 3d printers leave a bit of leeway in that regard.

And not to be a stickler, but you should really file a complaint to your postmaster about that box. They are supposed to let you inspect it before acceptance when obvious shipping damage has occurred. Seller should have shipped better, but they should still be expected to follow their rules and standards. As a fellow seller on eBay this really irks me.

I found out that he used a Creality CR 10S printer: https://3dprinting.com/pricewatch/3d-printer/creality-cr-10-s/

I should have filed a complaint, you are right, but now it's long gone and I'm too busy building this thing to care anymore. Especially since I've already got the new mobo working..... see below. ;)

~~~~~~~~~~~~
UPDATE #2!

Alright, a LOT has happened. The timeline of this whole thread vs the timeline of all progress I've made is a bit off, so I am going to catch you all up here with a lot of photos!

First: I built myself a new desk, this is where the computer will reside and my music equipment will be ready for recording on a whim! Built from an Oak IKEA Countertop. Using 2x4's bolted into studs, this thing is solid.

Glamor shot of some parts that I already had in hand!

One of the reasons I chose this board was due to the fact that it has wifi (Green) and I liked the location of the ATX power connection (Blue). Please also note the (Red) nubs on the mobo mount. The mobo simply sits atop the base of the case. This design is NOT my favorite, however, I've got some plans... 8)

One of the important aspects of this board is the USB/PS2 and Audio connections being on opposite corners. This will help support the board due to the design I mentioned above.

Here we see the board standing tall, albeit not incredibly secure, I'll tackle this issue in a bit.

Another angle, RAM installed.

I swear I spend 75% of my time taking pictures...

OKAY, I wasn't sure how long of a PCIe extender I'd need, so I bought the Thermaltake 200mm (left) and the EZDIY 250mm (right) on Amazon.

Testing the 200mm fit first....

Not long enough :(

The EZDIY 250mm was the winner!

It's absolutely a perfect fit, it was an incredibly satisfying moment....

Alright, I will have more to add here later today!

Cheers,
~smee

smee

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Apr 9, 2018
Bravo! Yes...Newcastle paint job...comon....COMON ;)

Ahaha, I mean honestly it'd be pretty cool to build a computer using a mini-keg as the case. Sounds like your next project. ;)

~~~~~~~~~~~~
UPDATE #3!

Alright, I gotta make sure this thing posts... But I at the time of this photo I was waiting for Cryorig to ship me a free AM4 mounting kit so in the meantime I used an extra AM4 cpu cooler (from a previous gen APU)... thought I'd show a comparison to the Cryorig C7.

Pretty impressive how low profile they made this thing.

Picked up a Ryzen from someone over at [H] forums! $200, great deal.

Babamn.

Woo, pretty lights, it posts!

Used a spare PSU XD

NEXT issue to tackle.... The case was around a slightly shorter mini GPU. The screws for a 120mm fan are too short to hold the fan up above the Zotac. XD

Local hardware store pickup:

Perrrfect!

Trying the top enclosure....

DAMN. So close.

I bet if I cut down the four corners of the fan I would be able to close the case completely. But I also wonder if I could fit a 140mm fan in here......

Lastly, HDPlex 400W has arrived!!

More coming this weekend! How the hell am I going to fit this thing in there??

~smee

jmarin

Airflow Optimizer
Mar 8, 2018
I like the ports all being on the bottom, hidden and out of the way. Certainly makes it more sleek. Should definitely smooth the case out, even if you don't paint it, you could sand and polish it to make it look real nice.

smee

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Apr 9, 2018
I like the ports all being on the bottom, hidden and out of the way. Certainly makes it more sleek. Should definitely smooth the case out, even if you don't paint it, you could sand and polish it to make it look real nice.

That is definitely my favorite part of the case, no ugly ports, just sleekness all around. I will definitely sand, polish/or paint once I'm done with the modifications. :D

That'll light up real nice...

I am debating on LED's. I'm not a huge fan of LED's to be honest. BUT I will try it out and show ya'll!

It does look like you'd be able to fit a round 140mm in there :D Thing's looking great!

You may want to look into one of these:

<Notcua NF-P14R>

You both are right. I've measured it out, a 140mm fan is most definitely getting shoved up there.
Thank you for the recommendation, @Phuncz I'm going to order one of those right now, that may be perfect!

~~~~~~~~~~~~
UPDATE #4!

Package time!

The Cryorig AM4 mounting plate came! Free, courtesy of Cryorig's awesome customer service.

Love the clean cable line with the CPU mounted, very easy to mount this thing.

Another package!

Dell 330W, this thing is huge!! HDPlex for comparison. Definitely not fitting the Dell inside the case. XD

Now to figure out how the hell I'm going to fit the HDPlex inside...

Trying...

It gets pressed up to close to the CPU cooler methinks...

Thinking of some other possibilities.

Mounting it in the center of the case seems to be the only way.

Time to go to Dad's shop, we need to do some modding. :cool:

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
This is the coolest build, really looking forward to seeing it complete. Good luck on the mounting location for the HDPlex, I agree that in front of the Cryorig was probably not a good idea.

smee

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Apr 9, 2018
This is the coolest build, really looking forward to seeing it complete. Good luck on the mounting location for the HDPlex, I agree that in front of the Cryorig was probably not a good idea.

Thank you!! I have never been so obsessed with a project, this is all I am doing in my spare time at this point. XD
One of my biggest concerns is heat from the 1700... once I've mounted the HDPlex I'll be doing lots of stress testing.

Could also just put a small ring around the base that would project light up.

I have thought about this, the Mobo has two RGB headers so I may give this a try.

@smee I think it'll light up nicely just with the LEDs on your gpu, and what I think is your mobo?

Good point. I can also change the LED color on the mobo to match the GPU.... hmmmm. I will ponder this.

~~~~~~~~
My pops and I are in the shop right now. Will update you tonight. ;)

Reactions: Mtthwmths