The TrashCan - 3D Printed

smee

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Apr 9, 2018
~~~~~~~~~~~~
UPDATE #5!

I called up Pops and said, "Hey, I have to figure out how to mount this piece of trash in a trashcan, can you help?" XD

Spent the whole afternoon with him today!! This is going to be a long update with LOTS of pictures and a few videos!

Discussing ideas on the back patio, taking measurements and drinking some iced tea...

This is my initial sketch the mounting plate which would be affixed to the top of the Mobo frame and further support the frame using those two extended posts (although this design changed later). The HDPlex would be mounted directly atop the plate (with holes to support both orientations).

Pops is the magician here when it comes to designing it in 3D using vCarve Pro software.

First order of business was to cut down the those posts on the Mobo frame using his Band Saw.

Video:

Excellent! PLA is easier to cut than I thought. Never had to cut a 3D print before.

Introducing my Pops and his beautiful machine. This CNC is his own creation, entirely built by him. It is the 3rd iteration of the "Xtreme CNC" as he calls it. The first iteration of the machine had to be hand cut using traditional power tools (i.e. table saw, router, skill saws, etc...). It was much smaller and had it's issues. His solution? Use it to cut ALL of the pieces for the 2nd iteration, this version was MUCH more precise and could handle larger cuts/maneuvers. Finally, he used the 2nd iteration of the machine to build a much larger and more industrial version. This has been his baby for the last 2 years and he himself has said he's never worked on a project more complex and continues to learn more every time he uses it. It's never quite been finished and he's always tweaking it. Pretty much everything in his shop was built by him over the years.

Video:

We tweaked the design a bit:

Cut out a prototype using wood to make sure we got all the measurements right (don't mind the extra holes, we had to re-adjust the placement of the wood before cutting the edges).

Video:

Holding the HDPlex and wood cut out to verify that the holes line up!

The fit was PERFECT, using the 3D frame posts as additional support.

He's always using brass for different projects and had this piece with enough space for the cut at the end.

And so it begins!

About half way through.

Here is a 5minute video, nothing exciting, but you do get to see some of the process here. He uses kerosene as a lubricant for the bit.

The entire cut took approx 30min or so. If you notice, we also changed the diameter of the hole on the extended portion of the plate, you'll see why later. ;)

A light sanding to clean it up.

Gotta clean up those edges too!

Nice and cleaned up, this is why we changed the diameter of that hole.

Tapping the holes to be used for the HDPlex.

Holes tapped!

Countersunk holes to mount the plate to the Mobo frame.

Two coats of clearcoat to protect the brass from tarnish

Drilled a few holes into the Mobo frame, decided to use pre-threaded brass dowels as a nut, they make it easy to tighten with fingers.

It's a thing of beauty when it all just fits perfectly.

HDPlex mounted without issue. Needed to cut off those small screws though, they might touch the RAM!

Back side shot.

We honestly got lucky with the clearance of the GPU here! o_O

So the idea was for the plate to not only act as a mount for the HDPlex but to further secure the Mobo frame as there was no other support other than gravity. Here is a mockup using an iron rod found in Pops' shop.

Gotta cut a hole in the base of the frame, just kinda eyeballed it straight up and down.

Pop's really enjoyed working on this little project, I let him take control and was really just the photographer for this process! I grew up in the shop working with him and always enjoy building things together.

Nice clean hole.

Happened to find a brass rod, he had the crazy idea to thread it on both ends.

Cutting down one of the bolts (there are two, one for the top and one for underneath in the base).

Threading the brass rod nearly broke through, we got lucky and IMO it looks pretty rad like this. This is also as far as we could thread it (hence cutting down the bolt).

Introducing another one of his creations, the Belt Sander. Entirely cut by his CNC. Pretty nifty! Used it to clean up the ends of the brass rod.

DAMN it fit perfect. Measure twice, cut once. (The second bolt comes through underneath in the base)

GPU side view.

Everything standing upright, very secure.

And there we have it, Folks! HDPlex is mounted and the Mobo is now secure! Thank you Pops!!! Where would I be without him?;)

Brought her home and took a few additional shots:

We used some washers to make sure the brass wasn't resting on the Mobo and to give some extra clearance/ventilation for the RAM. Not sure how hot the HDPlex gets...

It's really starting to come together!!! :cool::cool:

Next steps will be to determine the cleanest cable management... that might be tough.
I also ordered some fans off Amazon, need to make sure this thing doesn't overheat!

Let me know what you think! I'm going to relax for a bit now. XD

Cheers,
~smee

smee

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Apr 9, 2018
Damn nicely done and some nice pics/videos of the process. Man must be nice to have a Dad that is so skilled and has such a complete workshop. :thumb:

Looking good. That's a nice bracket. Certainly helpful to have a mini production workshop and foreman to help with fabrication XD

Wow i love how you detailed it with pictures. The bracket is done superbly!

Man...all of those tools...the dedication. LOVE IT. Awesome dad. Life goals right there :D

Thank you all! It's encouraging that folks are interested in the small details. I personally love seeing every detail of how a build is completed, understanding the why and how has always been fascinating to me.

As for my Pops, he's always building crazy cool stuff. Maybe I'll get some more photos of his shop for you all because I'll be working with him again soon. More custom brass to be made. ;)
Definitely couldn't do this build without him!!

I've got another update coming tonight!! I've figured out some cable management and am testing out 140mm fans for the exhaust!

~smee

BaK

King of Cable Management
Bronze Supporter
May 17, 2016
Great mods and build, well done! :thumb:

Now that you have secured the mobo, don't you want to do the same with the GPU?
It is only attached on its I/O right? Wondering if this system is sturdy enough to prevent the GPU from moving when rocking or tilting the case?

Last edited:
Reactions: smee

smee

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Apr 9, 2018
Great mods and build, well done! :thumb:

Now that you have secured the mobo, don't you want to do the same with the GPU?
It is only attached on its I/O right? Wondering if this system is sturdy enough to prevent the GPU from moving when rocking or tilting the case?

Should be I/O and the riser - but I just realized the riser isn't really mounted anywhere.

Both are correct, it's secured via the I/O at the base. It's actually quite secure, I don't feel it's necessary to secure it further. I can tilt the machine in any direction and it's all secure in there. :)
But, I might secure it anyway just to be thorough... we'll see.

Sorry for lack of update, been a busy week!

Reactions: BaK

BaK

King of Cable Management
Bronze Supporter
May 17, 2016
Thanx a lot for the feedback!
I have a concept in mind and attaching the GPU only on the I/O, without a fixed riser, can save me some space ans ease things a lot.

Still wondering though if it still will be secure with longer cards and heavy coolers, I just don't want to end up with something like that ;)

Too bad there is no standard for screws locations on GPU like there is on motherboards...

myfirstpcyay

Average Stuffer
Mar 7, 2018
Something akin to a uchannel placed "somewhere" should be enough to add that vertical stability. The blantantness of said uchannel depends on whether or not it's a visible or covered setup such as this one.

Reactions: BaK

owliwar

Master of Cramming
Lazer3D
Apr 7, 2017
I really liked the last updates! :) its really wholesome to see some family work and that brass piece complimented the case in a very nice way! cant wait to see more stuff.

also, good job on documenting it all. is really nice to see other people workflow

smee

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Apr 9, 2018
Any more updates???

I was thinking about this build the other day, so well documented at the start but haven't been any updates for quite some time.

I am alive! I apologize for such a long delay! Life got busy and then I moved to a new residence. Holy sh!t I have way too much stuff.
I DO have updates for you! First let me respond to a few of you. :)

Thanx a lot for the feedback!
I have a concept in mind and attaching the GPU only on the I/O, without a fixed riser, can save me some space ans ease things a lot.

Still wondering though if it still will be secure with longer cards and heavy coolers, I just don't want to end up with something like that ;)
<image>

Too bad there is no standard for screws locations on GPU like there is on motherboards...

You took the words out of my brain man, I wish GPU's had normal screw locations much like a motherboard. I think it would change a lot in terms of how we build PCs.

As for the weight of the card, it's pretty damn secure, I'm not concerned about it leaning or anything. If the card was much longer like the non-mini boards then we may have a problem.

Something akin to a uchannel placed "somewhere" should be enough to add that vertical stability. The blantantness of said uchannel depends on whether or not it's a visible or covered setup such as this one.

The PCIe extension cable actually does help keep it secure because of how tight the bends are. So far so good!

Amazing build! I scrolled through the latest build post with mouth agape - some damn fine workmanship right there.

I really liked the last updates! :) its really wholesome to see some family work and that brass piece complimented the case in a very nice way! cant wait to see more stuff.

also, good job on documenting it all. is really nice to see other people workflow

This has been so good to see this come together. I'm working on a 3D printed case right now too, and this gives me so much hope haha

Thank you all! I greatly enjoy working in the shop with my Pop's. He's taught me everything I know and is always continuing to tinker.

Okay, next post will have an update!

smee

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Apr 9, 2018
Alright, so these updates should have been posted back in April/May, I had taken pictures during the process but didn't make time to post online, then life got busy. :(

Time to catch up:
UPDATE #6!

Here is a shot showing the plate mounted on top:

How the hell am I going to fit all of the wiring....

I needed to make sure this thing turned on.... so I pressed the power button.
It's alive!!!

OOOhh pretty lights...

Thought that this was a cool shot.

New parts!

Tear down.

This is a problem I gotta tackle... Too many SATA Power goin' on in here.

Ryzen shot.

Really excited to try out this technology.

See these dang power connectors in my way? I'll figure out a solution shortly.
Samsung tucked away between the mobo and the MX500. ;)

Glamor shot. Cables are a mess.

Side shot.

Installing windows!

Beer for scale.

Toying with an idea for the 8pin on the GPU. The cables stick out quite a bit.

I think this will work.

~The next day~
Here is a shot of the desk at the moment.

Picked up a heatsink for the insanely hot NVME chip.

I just keep taking this thing apart....

Checking clearance without the heatsink.

Parts.

I liked the purple, but in hindsight, I probably should have gone with red to fit the theme... even though it's not visible. XD

Not sure if this will still fit??

Pretty impressed!

Wider shot

More updates coming shortly!!!

~Parker