The TrashCan - 3D Printed

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
Nice update! Interesting progress!

How hot was the Samsung 960 M.2 SSD when idling and when under load? From the pics, it seems it, being on the back of the motherboard, does not have any forced ventilation but relies purely on natural convection for cooling?
Now, with the EK heatsink, what temp do you get?

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017
Alright, so these updates should have been posted back in April/May, I had taken pictures during the process but didn't make time to post online, then life got busy. :(

Time to catch up:
UPDATE #6!

Here is a shot showing the plate mounted on top:

How the hell am I going to fit all of the wiring....

I needed to make sure this thing turned on.... so I pressed the power button.
It's alive!!!

OOOhh pretty lights...

Thought that this was a cool shot.

New parts!

Tear down.

This is a problem I gotta tackle... Too many SATA Power goin' on in here.

Ryzen shot.

Really excited to try out this technology.

See these dang power connectors in my way? I'll figure out a solution shortly.
Samsung tucked away between the mobo and the MX500. ;)

Glamor shot. Cables are a mess.

Side shot.

Installing windows!

Beer for scale.

Toying with an idea for the 8pin on the GPU. The cables stick out quite a bit.

I think this will work.

~The next day~
Here is a shot of the desk at the moment.

Picked up a heatsink for the insanely hot NVME chip.

I just keep taking this thing apart....

Checking clearance without the heatsink.

Parts.

I liked the purple, but in hindsight, I probably should have gone with red to fit the theme... even though it's not visible. XD

Not sure if this will still fit??

Pretty impressed!

Wider shot

More updates coming shortly!!!

~Parker

Neat! Looking forward to more! Is it gonna have a fan in the top?

smee

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Apr 9, 2018
Thanks for the update, good to see you back. :thumb:

Happy to be back! I intend to see this build through to the end. :)

More Updates!

Aright, lets deal with some GPU shenanigans.

The GPU is misaligned due to the way this 3D printed bracket was designed.

Noting the gap between the frame and the IO bracket on the bottom left.

Also note: The washers were used to move the GPU over as much as possible in order to keep the GPU from rubbing against the cases outer shell.

But as you can see, because of the crooked mount, the GPU still rubs against the cases outer shell.

I need to file the right side of this bracket down a bit so the GPU has more movement.

There we go...

Fits like a charm, lots of room.

Straightened it out...

Damn, look at that.

I am satisfied.

I always say that I want more desk space.. but more desk space just means more mess. >.<

More soon! :cool:

~Parker

Reactions: Phuncz and rfarmer

smee

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Apr 9, 2018
Nice update! Interesting progress!

How hot was the Samsung 960 M.2 SSD when idling and when under load? From the pics, it seems it, being on the back of the motherboard, does not have any forced ventilation but relies purely on natural convection for cooling?
Now, with the EK heatsink, what temp do you get?

Unfortunately, I don't think I have screenshots of the temps. I do recall idle just being way too hot (70C?) but again, I didn't record them. I will do a whole post on thermal temps soon. The cooling solution is coming up soon. ;)

Neat! Looking forward to more! Is it gonna have a fan in the top?

Yes. ;)

Reactions: tinyitx

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
I added a heatsink to my rear mounted M.2 SSD and added airflow makes a huge difference, with just the heatsink I did not see a big difference but after adding a bottom fan I saw a decrease of 15C from the original temps.

Reactions: tinyitx

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
Unfortunately, I don't think I have screenshots of the temps. I do recall idle just being way too hot (70C?) but again, I didn't record them. I will do a whole post on thermal temps soon. The cooling solution is coming up soon. ;)
If it is really idling at 70C, it is definitely too hot. I suspect you just mis-remember. IIRC, 70C is the throttle temp.

I added a heatsink to my rear mounted M.2 SSD and added airflow makes a huge difference, with just the heatsink I did not see a big difference but after adding a bottom fan I saw a decrease of 15C from the original temps.
Which heatsink you are using? EK's ?
Which case you are using? It would be nice if you have a pic to show how the bottom fan is set up relative to the position of the M.2 SSD.
I am not surprised there is little difference between no-heatsink and with-heatsink temperature when there is little airflow. Having airflow is, IMHO, more important than just having an heatsink by itself.

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
Which heatsink you are using? EK's ?
Which case you are using? It would be nice if you have a pic to show how the bottom fan is set up relative to the position of the M.2 SSD.
I am not surprised there is little difference between no-heatsink and with-heatsink temperature when there is little airflow. Having airflow is, IMHO, more important than just having an heatsink by itself.

I am using this one I got from Moddiy, this was before the EK ones were released. I had the heatsink in both my Ncase M1 and my MI-6.

I have the bottom intake fan blowing up between the motherboard and the GPU, in the Ncase I had bottom intake fan that blew air over the back of the motherboard.

Reactions: confusis