Production Sliger SM550/560/570/580 (2 and 3 slot riser layouts, with air and liquid cooling variants)

KSliger

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Sliger Designs
May 8, 2015
@KSliger Is the handle attached to the frame with a mechanism that would remove the 280 mm rad option in the sm580, like the cerberus, only leaving a 120mm fan option?

The SM570/580 both have a radiator/fan/HDD mount bracket that is included by default. This bracket has the standoffs for the handle - in turn the handle kit is just the handle and screws, and the base chassis without the handle does not have any less cooling functionality.

I understand, I will say personally I don't care about window panel's I never build my systems for display just for functionality and as compact as I can. Given the option especially if it is cheaper I will always pick vented side panels for both sides. Possibly even solid panel for the CPU side if testing proves that to be more effective.

I think personally the best setup for cooling will be solid panel on the CPU side with a 280 mm rad on top exhausting and two 140mm fans on the bottom exhusting with a vented side panel on the GPU side pulling in air.

My only concern with this setup is the RAM and VRAM not having enough air flow to remain cool, which may ruin the idea of a solid panel on the CPU side.

I can see this being a decent setup, RAM and VRMs should be fine as there will be air moving over them, just not as much as if the fans were all facing to blow out top. Will give it a test!

arjan2856

Cable Smoosher
Jul 16, 2018
I understand, I will say personally I don't care about window panel's I never build my systems for display just for functionality and as compact as I can. Given the option especially if it is cheaper I will always pick vented side panels for both sides. Possibly even solid panel for the CPU side if testing proves that to be more effective.

I think personally the best setup for cooling will be solid panel on the CPU side with a 280 mm rad on top exhausting and two 140mm fans on the bottom exhusting with a vented side panel on the GPU side pulling in air.

My only concern with this setup is the RAM and VRAM not having enough air flow to remain cool, which may ruin the idea of a solid panel on the CPU side.

With 4x140mm fans all exhausting air, this is going to suck in a huge air volume and a **** load of dust via that vented side panel. I would prefer the bottom to top airflow with a dust filter at the bottom as i live in a dusty environment. Could a dust filter be mounted to the vented side panel?

The main issue Optimum tech discovered is that the bottom fans blowing air direct against the side exhaust of the vertical graphics card is not efficient. Could the graphics card maybe be moved higher up in the case closer to the top radiator? So the top fans actually assist in pulling air out of the top side of the card, and the bottom fans don't blow directly in the bottom? Might be an issue with the AIO tubes though.

KSliger

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Sliger Designs
May 8, 2015
With 4x140mm fans all exhausting air, this is going to suck in a huge air volume and a **** load of dust via that vented side panel. I would prefer the bottom to top airflow with a dust filter at the bottom as i live in a dusty environment. Could a dust filter be mounted to the vented side panel?

The main issue Optimum tech discovered is that the bottom fans blowing air direct against the side exhaust of the vertical graphics card is not efficient. Could the graphics card maybe be moved higher up in the case closer to the top radiator? So the top fans actually assist in pulling air out of the top side of the card, and the bottom fans don't blow directly in the bottom? Might be an issue with the AIO tubes though.

Will be working with Demcifilter for filter for bottom.

GPU will have to stay where it is at, would require a ton of changes to move it up. Will see how well it cools though with the 4x fans feeding it.

Reactions: cmill

WGD118

Cable Smoosher
May 21, 2019

I see no need to move the GPU, but I did plan on installing a side dust filter, the nice thing about having the top and bottom exhaust is that in theory I won't need a dust filter on them.

But from a testing methodology we don't need to introduce the dust filter as that doesn't come with the case and not everyone will use it.

Reactions: Bioforce

GerryMz

Average Stuffer
Apr 23, 2019
so i'm incredibly amazed by these cases! i'm looking to cool a R5 2600x left on stock in the SM560, out of these 3 options.
which one would be the best and how would they affect GPU temps?
i'm looking at the Alpenfohn Black Ridge , cryorig c7 cu and Asetek 645LT.

thank you in advance and i'd like to say i'm a beginner at SFF cases which i've been so intersted!

E0000B6FAF25838

Caliper Novice
Mar 28, 2019
so i'm incredibly amazed by these cases! i'm looking to cool a R5 2600x left on stock in the SM560, out of these 3 options.

thank you in advance and i'd like to say i'm a beginner at SFF cases which i've been so intersted!
I did the 645lt for my 2600, and it'll work, but it's $100 more and will be a more tedious build. I get the impression that a vented CPU side panel with the C7 Cu with a Noctua fan replacement and the bottom fans set to intake would be the way to go.

Right now it sounds like the way to get the best temps overall is to get two vented side panels and set the bottom fans to exhaust, but that'll be a real dust trap, so filters for the side panels would be recommended.

I want to flip my fans in mine and see how my temps are affected. I think I'm going to order a filter for my vented GPU side panel from DEMCifilter and set my fans to exhaust to see how that affects things. I'm happy with my CPU temps, but the 645lt set to intake really does a number on the GPU temps.

Reactions: GerryMz

Jibbajabbawockers

Average Stuffer
May 2, 2019
Hmmm.... so just to be clear, there would be no way to somehow have 1 x 240mm AIO and 1 x 120mm AIO in either the 570 or 580?

Specifically, I was just thinking of doing something like the Corsair H100i 240mm AIO plus the EVGA Hybrid 2080ti with its 120mm radiator. Even in the 580, putting the Corsair 240mm AIO on the top and the EVGA 120mm on one of the bottom fan slots wouldn't work? Maybe in this use case, the Cerberus would be more suitable for a 240mm AIO plus a 120mm AIO on the GPU?

KSliger

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Sliger Designs
May 8, 2015

Black ridge is IMO the better choice, particularly since it's your first SFF build. Set the bottom fans to exhaust and the black ridge fan to blow towards motherboard, and you should be running really cool. Welcome to SFF =]

Hmmm.... so just to be clear, there would be no way to somehow have 1 x 240mm AIO and 1 x 120mm AIO in either the 570 or 580?

Specifically, I was just thinking of doing something like the Corsair H100i 240mm AIO plus the EVGA Hybrid 2080ti with its 120mm radiator. Even in the 580, putting the Corsair 240mm AIO on the top and the EVGA 120mm on one of the bottom fan slots wouldn't work? Maybe in this use case, the Cerberus would be more suitable for a 240mm AIO plus a 120mm AIO on the GPU?

The 580 can fit a 120mm radiator in the bottom front, but it's going to be tough to put an AIO down there, custom loop would be easy.

I would strongly lean towards a Cerberus for 240mm + 120mm, ran that on my personal computer for a long time.

GerryMz

Average Stuffer
Apr 23, 2019
Black ridge is IMO the better choice, particularly since it's your first SFF build. Set the bottom fans to exhaust and the black ridge fan to blow towards motherboard, and you should be running really cool. Welcome to SFF =]

The 580 can fit a 120mm radiator in the bottom front, but it's going to be tough to put an AIO down there, custom loop would be easy.

I would strongly lean towards a Cerberus for 240mm + 120mm, ran that on my personal computer for a long time.

thank you for the response !, would you be able to help me out pick out RAM size that doesn''t cause any problems with the Black Ridge V2?
i'm looking for 16gb 3200mhz

Bioforce

Airflow Optimizer
Aug 31, 2018
thank you for the response !, would you be able to help me out pick out RAM size that doesn''t cause any problems with the Black Ridge V2?
i'm looking for 16gb 3200mhz

I concur with Tuanster. Corsair LPX is some of the smallest "high performance" RAM you can get, and the price for 3200 MHz is reasonable. Also, comes in various colors so you're bound to find a set that will match your color scheme.

wsgroves

Airflow Optimizer
Mar 20, 2019
As is always the case it seems with computer parts, I would not buy ram atm. Ryzen 3 is supposed to support much higher frequencies than 3200. Should give a nice infinity fabric boost.

Bioforce

Airflow Optimizer
Aug 31, 2018
As is always the case it seems with computer parts, I would not buy ram atm. Ryzen 3 is supposed to support much higher frequencies than 3200. Should give a nice infinity fabric boost.

Do we know for sure that the new Zen 2 architecture is still sensitive to RAM speeds like the previous iterations? I haven't seen much information on whether the Infinity Fabric has been redesigned in any way.

wsgroves

Airflow Optimizer
Mar 20, 2019
It should still work about the same as it does now. The main difference being, ddr4 speeds up to 4000 and higher. I would assume it would be a pretty decent jump from 3200 to 4000.
Will just have to see I guess. I still would not buy ram right this second though unless mine died or I needed it right this second.

Mango

Trash Compacter
Apr 10, 2016
@KSliger It's of course too early in the production for any revisions of the current design, especially with work still to be done on SM570/580, but has there been any consideration for a future SM560 revision that uses the extra width for the CPU side? (i.e. more avaiable CPU heatsink height with dual slot GPU)
Would there be too much overlap with the SM550 or just not be worth the re-tooling for a change like that?

Reactions: Secret-Misthios

ermac318

King of Cable Management
Mar 10, 2019
@KSliger It's of course too early in the production for any revisions of the current design, especially with work still to be done on SM570/580, but has there been any consideration for a future SM560 revision that uses the extra width for the CPU side? (i.e. more avaiable CPU heatsink height with dual slot GPU)
Would there be too much overlap with the SM550 or just not be worth the re-tooling for a change like that?
Not Sliger but that case already exists, it's called the NCase M1. ? Supports much taller CPU coolers and 2.5-slot GPUs.