Production Sliger SM550/560/570/580 (2 and 3 slot riser layouts, with air and liquid cooling variants)

devinkato

Average Stuffer
Oct 17, 2016
Already planning out mods for this case - can you provide any insight as to how the acrylic is attached to the steel frame? Is it easily removable/replaceable?

LegendsofMace

Average Stuffer
Oct 7, 2018
@KSliger Got another CPU cooler for you to look into for the SM550/560. It's the recently released Id cooling IS-30. Same kind of size as l9a/l9i, so would be interesting to see that comparison. Maybe even with a 25MM fan vs. The Cryorig C7. My interest with it mainly comes with the 100W TDP limit as opposed to 65W. Looks like I could only find Aliexpress and ebay links so far.
https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/fyM56Q4
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/292961863011

wsgroves

Airflow Optimizer
Mar 20, 2019
Very interested in how temps would be with the window/unvented panels and the 2080ti ftw3. Patiently waiting for some more thermal testing but I think I’ll be adding this next to my cerberus

As am I lol. Still trying to find time to build mine. I will be putting in a Strix 2080 Ti. I will be surprised if it is able to be cooled only with the case fans. May need to be undervolted a good bit.

tuanster1119

Caliper Novice
Mar 14, 2019
@KSliger Got another CPU cooler for you to look into for the SM550/560. It's the recently released Id cooling IS-30. Same kind of size as l9a/l9i, so would be interesting to see that comparison. Maybe even with a 25MM fan vs. The Cryorig C7. My interest with it mainly comes with the 100W TDP limit as opposed to 65W. Looks like I could only find Aliexpress and ebay links so far.
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/292961863011

There also seems to be a cooler, made by the same company, that has six heatpipes. The page says it's a 55mm height including the fan.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-ID-COO...C-System-LP-CPU-Cooler-120mm-Fan/292207722957

Allhopeforhumanity

Master of Cramming
May 1, 2017
Got another CPU cooler for you to look into for the SM550/560. It's the recently released Id cooling IS-30. Same kind of size as l9a/l9i, so would be interesting to see that comparison. Maybe even with a 25MM fan vs. The Cryorig C7. My interest with it mainly comes with the 100W TDP limit as opposed to 65W. Looks like I could only find Aliexpress and ebay links so far.

I'm pretty apprehensive that such a small cooler with only 4 heat pipes could adequately dissipate 100W of heat. A lot of those dissipation calculations use really unreasonable assumptions like a delta-T of 80 C between the CPU and ambient and zero contact resistance between heat-pipes and the base/fins.

There also seems to be a cooler, made by the same company, that has six heatpipes. The page says it's a 55mm height including the fan.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-ID-COO...C-System-LP-CPU-Cooler-120mm-Fan/292207722957

The IS-60 looks a lot more reasonable but once again I don't think even it is going to get anywhere near 130 W dissipation at less than an 80 C delta. If I had to guess, I'd estimate that the IS-60 is probably closer to 100W and the IS-30 likely around 65.

Sahaj

Average Stuffer
Dec 10, 2017
FYI, @CantingSoup and @KSliger, I wanted to return to the Alpenföhn Black Ridge topic and type in a little more detail (not on a phone this time!), because I realize there are few threads about it, but what is there is sort of shared information from the same folks on the same few forums. This is too much of a "stupid, sexy component" situation for me to let it go, much like with the case itself, so hopefully this helps without adding confusion. :)

What we already know
New information

CantingSoup

Cable-Tie Ninja
Sep 2, 2018
FYI, @CantingSoup and @KSliger, I wanted to return to the Alpenföhn Black Ridge topic and type in a little more detail (not on a phone this time!), because I realize there are few threads about it, but what is there is sort of shared information from the same folks on the same few forums. This is too much of a "stupid, sexy component" situation for me to let it go, much like with the case itself, so hopefully this helps without adding confusion. :)

What we already know
New information
Hmm... Seems to be a bit of a wildcard since they haven’t made any alterations. Appreciate the update.

Reactions: Sahaj

SaperPL

Master of Cramming
DR ZĄBER
Oct 17, 2017

I talked with Alpenföhn representative over the mail as soon as I got the cooler and started testing and got to the point where I figured out it's not ATX compliant. I urged them to talk with the retailers and update info to tell people it's designed strictly for A4-SFX and such, and also when they informed people about recall I talked with them again about updating the brackets for AM4 to not collide with asrock/msi boards at least and possibility of solving issues for other cases, including talking about sending them a prototype of our 2.0 iirc.

I lost contact with the rep after he randomly asked to call me on my phone, where I refused saying I'm not proficient enough in English/German to talk over the phone (and I'd rather discuss complex issues like this through a text where I can go back and forth to make sure I understand the other side, and have a paper trail).

Anyway I really don't get why won't they reiterate their mounting. It's a potentially great all-around low-profile cooler.

Last edited:

KSliger

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Sliger Designs
May 8, 2015
Already planning out mods for this case - can you provide any insight as to how the acrylic is attached to the steel frame? Is it easily removable/replaceable?

Small holes in the acrylic for threaded studs in the steel ring / window frame to pass through, and the ballstuds thread onto those studs on the outside and hold the acrylic to the window ring.

Good find, I will reach out to my ID Cooling guy and see if he can get us a sample to test. Looks like it might perform around same as C7 non-CU.

I really want to use the Silverstone fanless 450W SFX-L power supply in the updated build. How much of a gap is there between a normal SFX PSU and the bottom fans?

60mm.

160mm total for PSU + cables.

Oh, something I forgot to ask, especially considering the window has a bezel, what are the dimensions of the window as I may want to build a snowblind window clone in this case. (580)

@KSliger

https://i.imgur.com/oEohfa9.png

@KSliger can you advise on what is your most recommended 280mm AIO's for the SM580 as far as compatibility/performance etc?

Any 280mm AIO will fit, except the EK Phoenix, some of the larger radiators for custom loops won't make the cut either.

Hello SLiger,

If I want to buy the Z390 Asrock, are there any coolers sans fan that will fit with that board properly? Or do I have to buy a heatsink that uses a fan such as the L9i you recommended or the Cryorig C7?

I would honestly say go L9i, it's able to run a stock 9900k without any thermal throttle due to the fans in bottom. If you're trying to OC I would get the LP53 and put a 92mm Noctua fan on it.

Tazpr

Master of Cramming
Aug 7, 2018
Any 280mm AIO will fit, except the EK Phoenix, some of the larger radiators for custom loops won't make the cut either.

I'm going to start planning a loop using the 240mm Phoenix I reckon as that will likely perform a bit better than a 280mm AIO which the better pump, radiator and CPU block.

Do you have plans to get hold of and do a comparison between compatible AIO/LC options down the line as I think this is the biggest drawing card to the 580.

Luminair

Chassis Packer
Mar 7, 2018
My fluid dynamics knowledge is pretty limited, but in general am I going to see better temperatures with a window with high static pressure intake fans, or with the vented panels? I'm eyeing the 560 with pigtail since I have a 2.5 slot MSI 1080 ti, and I'd ideally like to have double windows. Temperatures are important, though!

Tazpr

Master of Cramming
Aug 7, 2018
My fluid dynamics knowledge is pretty limited, but in general am I going to see better temperatures with a window with high static pressure intake fans, or with the vented panels? I'm eyeing the 560 with pigtail since I have a 2.5 slot MSI 1080 ti, and I'd ideally like to have double windows. Temperatures are important, though!

With bottom fans and the 20mm-ish gap you probably won't see massive temperature increases with the windowed panel as it's an open card that will allow the bottom fans to push the hot air through and out the top, generally vented sides are more beneficial with blower style cards as they exhaust the air out the back, where as the open style card exhaust the air around them and rely on case airflow to move that air away from the card.

Vented panels might grant a small temperature gain, but not much, and the windowed panels will at least ensure the cool air being taken in through the bottom is forced to continue to the top of the case instead of just exiting out the sides straight away.

IMO, go for the windowed panels since it'll look sweet and you'll still have plenty of airflow to keep the card cool as their is a gap between the fans and the side to allow air in.

KSliger

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Sliger Designs
May 8, 2015
a spreadsheet with tests results in a similar fashion of those done by Louqe would be awesome!

Working on it. Test will compare C7, C7 CU, LP53, Intel Stock cooler and the Shadow Rock LP with LL120 and high static pressure fans on various panels. Will also compare GPU temps between panels, fans, and 550 vs 560 for dual slot card,

Reviewers should have stuff in the next 3-4 weeks as well!

Tazpr

Master of Cramming
Aug 7, 2018
As a curiosity, was there any reason the 560 does not support 140mm fans in the bottom?
Is it mainly due to the reduced length of the chassis compared to the 580, as it's only 1mm narrower?

raulnorry

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Sep 17, 2018
As a curiosity, was there any reason the 560 does not support 140mm fans in the bottom?
Is it mainly due to the reduced length of the chassis compared to the 580, as it's only 1mm narrower?
He talked about it before, but basically 140mm fans would have left screws underneath the feet of the case, causing it to be lopsided, and the fans themselves were pretty difficult to install.

KSliger

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Sliger Designs
May 8, 2015

It's the length, impossible to squeeze the 140mm fan in the gap between front of case and the cutout below the PSU. Well not impossible, but you're not getting a working fan back out. It also makes the fan mount screws sit under the rubber feet which makes them sit crooked.

SM580 addresses these by being a bit longer.

Reactions: Tazpr

wsgroves

Airflow Optimizer
Mar 20, 2019
Just a quick update with pix tomorrow.
The newest Pallas 120 doesn't fit right on the Strix B450-i Gaming with vertical fin placement. It sticks over the edge of the motherboard just enough that you can't get it to fit. If I turn it around then it will hit my gskill memory. It would work with ulp memory probably. It may take even a lower heatsink than the Corsair lpx.

E0000B6FAF25838

Caliper Novice
Mar 28, 2019
If I turn it around then it will hit my gskill memory. It would work with ulp memory probably. It may take even a lower heatsink than the Corsair lpx.

What kit do you have? Trident Z? I've got a kit that's about 37mm tall on the way, as well as a PALLAS 120. Curious to know how picky I need to be with the mobo, or if I'll need to grab a different cooler altogether.

Any chance we could get a number for RAM clearance?