Production The Redesign of the Smol X1 is done! Here are the changes:

Joonst

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Dec 26, 2020
smolsff.com

Hi everyone!

Instagram and Twitter: SmolSFF

I'm currently completely redesigning the Smol X1. If you've anything to add after reading this post, please tell us! We're going to order the next prototype soon and would love to include your suggestions. A quick introduction to the Smol X1: The X1 is a tiny (6.9L) pc case that supports a huge amount of components; Gpu's up to 183mm, mini ITX or DTX motherboards, aircoolers up to 126mm, or aio's up to 140mm. The cooling configurating differentiates on what psu you're choosing: Flex Atx or SFX. With Flex Atx, there's room for aircoolers up to 126mm, and 120mm or 140mm aio's. With SFX, there's room up to 60mm for aircooling, and there's room for a 120mm aio on top. We're working on 2.5'' drive support. It's also very high-quality because it's made of 1mm thick steel. Our first prototype doesn't bend anywhere, and this will only be improved in the next. As you can read, it has increadible component compatibility for it's size, and it's only 6.9L. That's crazy, right?

redesign includes:
- 1cm added height (from 6.65L to 6.9L) for 120mm aio support
- 2.5'' drive support
- new look, thanks to the new sidepannel pattern
- more airflow due to new place for exhaust fan
- + your suggestions! I need them.

We hope to sell the X1 for €80.
Thank you for reading, and I hope you could comment some suggestions.

Cheers,
Joost

Tute

Average Stuffer
Sep 16, 2018
I do like the look of this. A couple of questions.

1. Any room for some front IO? Maybe a USB port or two?
2. Any option on the side vent pattern?

Thanks.

Reactions: Joonst

Joonst

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Dec 26, 2020
smolsff.com
I do like the look of this. A couple of questions.

1. Any room for some front IO? Maybe a USB port or two?
2. Any option on the side vent pattern?

Thanks.
Thanks for the question!

1: I can design a sidepanel that has mounting holes for a usb extender, I'll see how that looks.
2: As for now, I am planning for multiple options indeed. on this post there are the current two options, but more can be added.

I hope I answered your question with this, if you have more questions, please don't hesitate to ask me.

Joonst

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Dec 26, 2020
smolsff.com

After redesign:

Before redesign:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi everyone!

Instagram and Twitter: SmolSFF

The redesign is done! A lot of changes on the inside and outside. This redesign is based on all suggestions you gave in our emails, on reddit, here and on other platforms. Thank you for that!. A quick introduction to the Smol X1: The X1 is a tiny (6.9L) pc case that supports a huge amount of components; Gpu's up to 183mm (thickness 45mm), mini ITX or DTX motherboards, aircoolers up to 126mm, or aio's up to 120mm. The cooling configurating differentiates on what psu you're choosing: Flex Atx or SFX. With Flex Atx, there's room for aircoolers up to 126mm, and 120mm aio's. With SFX, there's room up to 60mm for aircooling, and there's room for a 120mm aio on top. There's also 2.5'' ssd support now! The implementation isn't final, and will be improved. It's also very high-quality because it's made of 1mm thick steel. It will be powder coated with sand texture powder coating. This is really hard to scratch, and looks absolutely amazing. Our first prototype doesn't bend anywhere, and this will only be improved in the next. As you can read, it has increadible component compatibility for it's size, and it's only 6.9L. That's crazy, right?

There's also a stand now! In general, it's not really visible on your desk, and it looks very minimal. More information on the layout at SmolSFF.com/.

For the people who asked about it, this is what an all black X1 looks like.

Thanks for reading! If you habe any suggestions I can include before ordering the prototype, please tell me. The price will be €100 (including shipping to most countries hopefully).