Power Supply The Pico Thread

Biowarejak

Maker of Awesome | User 1615
Original poster
Platinum Supporter
Mar 6, 2017
The use of Pico PSU's seems worthy of discussion for use in future projects and such. I figure this is the best place to kick off the conversation. I don't have much to ad myself, But I would love to hear more from you all before I go that route with an internal AC-DC solution. :)

InfernoZeus

SFF Lingo Aficionado
May 23, 2017
I've been reading a bunch about these recently. This thread in particular was very useful.

Could someone summarize the trade-offs between using an internal AC-DC vs an external AC-DS? (both using an internal PDCB)

Reactions: Biowarejak

CXH4

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Apr 18, 2016
I've been reading a bunch about these recently. This thread in particular was very useful.

Could someone summarize the trade-offs between using an internal AC-DC vs an external AC-DS? (both using an internal PDCB)

I think the main trade off is that your PSU is on the outside, and more than likely passively cooled when you switch from ATX/SFX PSU to a Pico PSU. Depending on which manufacturer you get it from you may have power restrictions. You gain more space and remove a source of heat from your chassis. That's most of what I can think of at least lol

AleksandarK

/dev/null
May 14, 2017
Pico PSUs have lot more benefits than drawbacks, as it dumps less heat into the the case( especially in the super tiny cases). I dont personally mind external brick, as long as there are not more than two(for monitor and for PC).

And not to be promoting myself, but i think that this may be good guide.

Elerek

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jul 17, 2017
In my case I'm looking at maybe using a pico or similar dc-dc psu because it lets me put the 1u power supplies I have on hand to good use in my next build. They're slot in redundant psus that only output 12v. The pico branded psu's use 19v, but GUnique's take 12v.

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
The only downside to pico is power capabilities and the lack of a standard ac-dc system to complement it.

If you could have a single AC DC solution to complement your PDCB and a 6 pin pcie kit then it'd be a lot more accessible.

This I believe should be a more focused area as we have hit a plateau with SFX power supplies, especially when considering internal options.