The Blackbox, i7 7820x X299E-ITX/AC

pacmanwa

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Aug 1, 2017
I'm a software engineer by trade and wanted to build a somewhat mobile workstation class + gaming PC. The name of the build should tell you what industry I work in :)

This started out as a new computer I was building with my bonus. This was in March, my wife asked me to wait several times, it started as a microAtx 7700k then went to a mini-itx Ryzen7, when I was told to wait again... resulting in using the i7 7820x for the CPU. The build has a few basic goals:
  • Workstation (compile linux kernel, virtualization research)
  • Gaming (Doom & VR)
  • Small
  • Light
  • NO DISK DRIVES (2.5" 3.5") SSDs only.
Without further delay I present the parts list: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/pacmanwa/saved/#view=BqnZLk

Everything is on order except: RAM/Motherboard/CPU Cooler
WARNING RANT FOLLOWS
<RANT>
As much as I want to do an AIO, traveling with this PC will be more difficult one.
I've contacted Asrock for assistance on RAM and Cooler specifically available space for the cooler. The answer I got back as discouraging, not surprising, and honestly expected. Here is a synopsis: "Wait for the motherboard to come out."

Now, for the maths. Per some research (thank you VegtableStu) I found that the LGA2066 square ILM is the same size as the LGA2011-3 square ILM: 80x80mm. I then confirmed the size of the LGA2011-3 ILM here: https://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/public/us/en/documents/guides/core-i7-lga2011-3-tmsdg.pdf on page 56.

Using Gimp and some pictures of the board I was able to make some measurements. It should be 80 mm from screw hole to screw hole.

I found the distance from the screw hole to the daughter boards are about 15mm. This is to center of the slot. The M.2 slot in the left daugher board looks to be about 7mm high. So I have about 6mm on the left and ~ 13mm on the right.
For the RAM slots about 20mm to the center of the slots from both top & bottom of the socket. Guessing 15mm of space top and bottom to be safe. The safe bet is I'll have an area ~95mm x 110mm to work with. (ON NO MY CHOSEN COOLER IS 80x120mm!)

Talking vertically... an M.2 drive is 22mm wide, meaning the slot is about 25mm. The daughterboard containing the M.2 slot should be about 35-40mm tall. An SODIMM is also 30-35mm tall. Limiting factor is the case which will allow a cooler up to 130mm tall.
</RANT>
Stay tuned... parts are still arriving.

Everything but the motherboard, ram and cpu cooler obtained.
Tuesday came and went in Taiwan, no new information on when I can get the motherboard.

Edit: Full parts list finalized, link unchanged.

Last edited:

VegetableStu

Shrink Ray Wielder
Aug 18, 2016

pacmanwa

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Aug 1, 2017
Then order it from Silicon Lottery.
Just checked, they are sold out of the pre-delided 7820x. Looks like they want $70 for the delid if I send it in.

Edit: Also not enough time till I need my system for nearly two weeks straight of gaming. Quakecon then PAX Prime back to back weekends.

Last edited:
Reactions: AleksandarK

pacmanwa

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Aug 1, 2017
This is on like Donkey Kong! RAM arrived yesterday, motherboard arrives today, CPU cooler arrives on Thursday. I will be live streaming the build on Twitch on Saturday 11am CST, 9am PST.

Parts left to obtain: custom length power cables... but that may take some time.

pacmanwa

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Aug 1, 2017
Of course i will be kind. If you are not sure about something. We will help!!!
My biggest fear is getting the PCI-E and ATX 12V Rail mixed up, could burn up the board, graphics card, or both. Though I understand they are keyed differently.

More self plugging, I'll have one webcam on a tripod, as well as a POV camera strapped to some glasses, provided I can get it to focus properly.