The best set of case fans for DAN A4-SFX

ladyalchemist

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Nov 29, 2018
Hi,

I would like to provide the best set of case fans for my A4-SFX. Could you help me?

These are my components:

ASUS ROG STRIX x470-i

Ryzen 2700 + Noctua L9a-AM4 cooler (during the gaming = about 65 °C, so I am happy with it)

GIGABYTE WINDFORCE RTX 2080 (during the gaming with ultra settings = max 80-82 °C, I would like to reduce it)

M2 nvme ssd Samsung 970 evo 500 gb under Asus M2 radiator (about 53 degrees, it would be good to reduce it)

2,5" SSD Samsung 860 evo 1TB (If I remember correctly about 46°C)

G.Skill 3200 Mhz 2x16 gb

Corsair SF600

The whole PC is very quiet, until the intense gaming. Then it's audible, but it does not bother me (under load It's still quieter than my old gaming laptop :) ) . I would like to reduce the temperature of the graphics card (without losing performance) and possibly m2 ssd.

In the m2 ssd case, I know that I can use one or two Noctua NF-A4X20 40mm (?) but I do not know if I can mount at least one without modding or 3d printing.

My other options for better cooling of the case are:
-a fan below motherboard (which one? - I heard that small fans at the bottom don't do anything.. ) ,
- below PSU (Noctua NF-A9x14 PWM or Akasa 80x10? ) now I have 2,5" ssd in this place, but I know that I can move it to the front of the case.
- a fan above the PSU (which one?
Noctua NF-A9x14 PWM, Akasa 80x10? )
- above the mobo [Noctua NF-A4X10-FLX 5V (12V is better ?)?]

I have also found anidees AI HALO RGB 80mm LED Case Fans (8 x 8 x 2,5 cm). It would be nice to mount at least one of them on the top of the case, but probably they are too thick?)

I also have AMD Wraith Spire cooler from Ryzen 2700. Theoretically probably I could mount it below the psu, but in this case, I could only benefit from RGB by mounting Wraith on the cpu (or on the top but it is probably impossible). Maybe someday I will do it, if I widen the housing by adding custom Window plexi. But by then it would be nice to have a rgb fan for example on the top of the case.

First of all, I would like to lower the temperature of the RTX 2080. Secondly, lower the temp of m2 ssd.
In addition, the aluminum case is hot when touched, but probably I can't do anything about it.

I would like to lower these temperatures by some sensible value, and not just spend money, that's why I'm asking you for advice :)

Last edited:

dondan

Shrink Ray Wielder
DAN Cases
Feb 23, 2015
For under the motherboard use the Noctua A9x14.
For under the PSU you can use Noctua NF-A9. Just install the drive behind the front.
Above the PSU and motherboard I would not install a fan.

You can't lower the GPU temps without water cooling because if you give the card more airflow it will just clock higher until it reached the temp limit of 82°C. Only with water cooling you get better temps because there is a point where the card can't clock higher because it will hit power limit.

Also your M.2 temps are very good. Far away from beeing too hot.

ladyalchemist

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Nov 29, 2018
Thanks for reply dondan.

Why?

You can't lower the GPU temps without water cooling because if you give the card more airflow it will just clock higher until it reached the temp limit of 82°C. Only with water cooling you get better temps because there is a point where the card can't clock higher because it will hit power limit.

Ok, I understand. So playing with the open side of the case will not help too?

Probably I can't use water cooling in A4-SFX for GPU, only for CPU?

I've done more accurate temperature measurements, during playing demanding (90% gpu usage) and less demanding (max 70%) VR game (someone else was playing then).

GPU on idle:
56°C 300mhz
CPU 50-51-53°C

Drives:

Crystal disk info

After turning on the computer:

M2 Samsung 970 - 35°C

2,5" Samsung 860 - 26°C

Later on Windows desktop:

44-47 degrees (970) degrees and 31-36 degrees (860)

And then yellow alert in Cristal Disk Mark - 50 degrees (970) and 39 degrees (860).

During playing demanding VR game (on ultra settings) :

Gpu clock
1830MHz 82-83 degrees, max 84 usage 90%
Fan speed 2723rpm

Memory clock
7000Mhz
Used 4,5gb free 3,5gb total 8gb

CPU :68-69 degrees

Used 12gb ram free 20gb

Crystal disk info:
Red alert
61-62°C M2 970
56°C 860

And the aluminium case is hot.

After 30min of playing:

GPU: 84 degrees
CPU: 70 degrees
M2 970 - 62 degrees

860 - 56 degrees

During less demanding VR game at high settings PC is quieter and:

GPU: 70 degrees (1875mhz) (50% used)
CPU: 65-66 degrees

Drives:
63 degrees m2 970- status is red in the Crystal disk info
860- 53 degrees - status is yellow

But I read that the dangerous temperature of m2 is from 70 degrees.. 63 is quite close, but maybe not close enough to be afraid...?

Reactions: renecop545

dondan

Shrink Ray Wielder
DAN Cases
Feb 23, 2015
I know this is a v4 picture but it will also work on v1, v2, v3

maurimo

Minimal Tinkerer
Aug 3, 2019
For under the PSU you can use Noctua NF-A9. Just install the drive behind the front.

I am planning a build with A4-sfx and I think I will follow your suggestion of A9 + A9x14 for case ventilation.
The GPU will be a 2080 ti FE, do you recommend to place case fans in exhaust mode? Thanks!

MrPickles

Efficiency Noob
Oct 26, 2019
About placing a fan below the mobo, which works better for you, intake or exhaust? I keep bumping on contradicting information. I'm under the impression that intake fan has a negative impact on the 1080 blower cooler. Any thoughts supporting either option? Been following this forum since mid 2018 only. I'm running i5-8600, 16GB, MSI 1080 Aero, Corsair SF600 in A4 v3.

Fan7asy

Efficiency Noob
Nov 8, 2019

Hi dondan, just got my dan case v4.1 today!!!
For the two case fans at the bottom of the case, should I use them to pull the air in or push the air out?

charlie_86

What's an ITX?
Dec 5, 2019
are there any other places I can get those dan a4 case diagrams? I just got one in a trade and want to "build it" in my head before putting in the actual work.

thanks!

keyboard_cat

Caliper Novice
Sep 30, 2019
I would think you would want intake for a fan at the bottom of the case since heat rises.

I bought a third fan, the chromax a9 14mm, to use to exhaust "over" the CPU on the side of the case (not the top of the case - people aren't clear enough when discussing the locations) because while gaming, the motherboard gets pretty warm. Haven't installed it yet to see if helps

Ranker

Average Stuffer
Dec 20, 2018
I would think you would want intake for a fan at the bottom of the case since heat rises.

I bought a third fan, the chromax a9 14mm, to use to exhaust "over" the CPU on the side of the case (not the top of the case - people aren't clear enough when discussing the locations) because while gaming, the motherboard gets pretty warm. Haven't installed it yet to see if helps

Thermals improve if bottom fans are set to exhaust for aircooled setups in the Dan. With watercooling or AIO, intake is better.

Reactions: BlackSpec

Bowspin

Caliper Novice
Oct 16, 2019
Hello ! I just ordered a dan a4 v4.1 and I apologize for stealing this thread, this is what I plan to buy for the fan case :

Is that all fine? I will not have any 2.5". Also, I found out on noctua's website thtat the chromax is louder but turns faster? Anyone can confirm? Is it a big deal or no real differences? thank you in advance !