Log Talos - a new living room-proof computer

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
Looks gorgeous! One note about that type of PVC mesh: it can warp quite a bit when it gets hot, even when it starts out completely flat. If you can find something suitable in metal, I would definitely go that route (though at least in my case that was really hard to find - hope you have better luck!).

Reactions: robbee

REVOCCASES

Shrink Ray Wielder
REVOCCASES
Silver Supporter
Apr 2, 2020
www.revoccases.com
You can try searching for "steel mosquito / insect mesh / screen"

Here is one shop in Germany - just for example:

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
You can try searching for "steel mosquito / insect mesh / screen"

Here is one shop in Germany - just for example:

That looks pretty good! Given how thin it is it might require a rigid frame to hold it taut and flat for larger openings, but it still looks like a good alternative. I never managed to find anything black in that kind of mesh size before.

robbee

King of Cable Management
Original poster
n3rdware
Bronze Supporter
Sep 24, 2016
I actually have this piece of steel mesh ready, it's 1mm thick with .4mm steel wires so it's pretty rigid. I just haven't gotten around using it because I haven't managed to cut it without bending it too much. I may clamp it between 2 pieces of wood and then use a metal saw to cut it, still thinking about it...

If I manage to cut it properly, I will just spray paint it in black.

REVOCCASES

Shrink Ray Wielder
REVOCCASES
Silver Supporter
Apr 2, 2020
www.revoccases.com
I actually have this piece of steel mesh ready, it's 1mm thick with .4mm steel wires so it's pretty rigid. I just haven't gotten around using it because I haven't managed to cut it without bending it too much. I may clamp it between 2 pieces of wood and then use a metal saw to cut it, still thinking about it...

Yeah, it's a pain to cut if you don't have the right tools. You could use some small pliers and then cut each wire by wire. Will take a while but the result is better compared to something like metal scissors.

For mounting you could use epoxy or screws / nuts. Both work fine although I found it more easy / less messy to use screws.

NOTABLE-00098.jpg

NOTABLE-00099.jpg

BaK

King of Cable Management
Bronze Supporter
May 17, 2016

With time and being horizontal, I'm not so confident such a mesh will not sag in its center with an external frame only.

Why not apply the brass theme here also with something more sturdy like this?

That way the futur toddler will be able to put down his/her bibber and toys on it without everything crashing into the case! XD

If the openings are too big to stop dust, you can maybe combine the two meshes?

robbee

King of Cable Management
Original poster
n3rdware
Bronze Supporter
Sep 24, 2016
It's been a while, but it is now time to wrap up this build. I've been using it as HTPC for some time now but the mesh top kept bothering me. Thanks to @morj , that has now been solved! I've used his technique to 3d print a mesh by using infill without top and bottom layers. Pictures explain it better:

The top panel is 3mm thick and is more solid and stiff than the metal mesh I was considering first, so that's a double win!

The only thing missing it the power LED. I have an LED that fits the hole but it is way too bright using the power LED header on my motherboard, so I have to find a suitable resistance to dim it a bit.

aromachi

Cable-Tie Ninja
Dec 18, 2019
Really making me want a 3D printer! What exactly is causing the warping that you were seeing on the back? Is this normal for 3D printed parts?

BaK

King of Cable Management
Bronze Supporter
May 17, 2016
Really nice! Well done! :thumb:
The 3D printed mesh is a genius idea, more sturdy, more airflow and more beautiful!

Reactions: Arboreal

robbee

King of Cable Management
Original poster
n3rdware
Bronze Supporter
Sep 24, 2016
Really making me want a 3D printer! What exactly is causing the warping that you were seeing on the back? Is this normal for 3D printed parts?

Parts get printed at high temperature and the plastic solidifies as it cools down again. This puts some internal forces on the plastic which may warp the part of it doesn't happen evenly or happens too fast. The larger the part, the higher the risk it warps while cooling down. There are some counter measures like a heated bed and printing inside en enclosure to slow the cooldown but it is still something that happens often when printing parts this size.

msystems

King of Cable Management
Apr 28, 2017
Wow amazing job getting the fitment that clean between the different materials and profiles. It could practically be a streacom product.

robbee

King of Cable Management
Original poster
n3rdware
Bronze Supporter
Sep 24, 2016
So after posting this build to Reddit, I got some questions from users wanting to buy this case. The introduction of the HDPlex 250w GaN unit allows me make a version that no longer requires any custom wiring. This has got me seriously considering doing a small production run, about 10 to 15 cases should still be manageable.

Is there any interest here for a -slightly- larger version that would take the HDPlex as PSU? Pricing is hard to to get right without any numbers, but should be around 140-150 euro's riser included.