Standing/Adjustable Desks?

Reldey

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Feb 14, 2017
Would anyone here have any experience with a standing/adjustable desk? How much do you like yours? I have been looking around for one but there are a billion companies, most with reviews only on their own store pages. Any help would be great, looking to spend under $1000.

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
I am a physiotherapist by trade and routinely recommend my clients go for sit to stand desks. My two cents are as follows:

- Ikea sit to stand desks are of Ikea quality. The physician I rent my clinic space from bought a few Ikea sit to stands for the clinic and several of them have already had issues with dead motors. While warranty was still on the desks at the time of failure, my feeling is that they will likely fail again once out of warranty. I would suggest staying away from their products given my experiences.

- If you're going to get a sit-to-stand desk DEFINITELY spend the extra money to get memory presets. A manual hydraulic system will be the cheapest you can buy, with a manual electric being significantly more in most cases. With both of these solutions you will run into two problems:

1.) You will not have the exact same working height at sit or stand each time you move positions. While you wouldn't think being an inch higher or lower would make a big difference, in my experience it will likely have negative influences on your posture which in turn will lead to postural fatigue and soreness. A memory based electric table will make sure you get the exact same height every single time.

2.) As soon as you have to sit there for 30 seconds pushing a button or manually lift/lower you will likely use the sit/stand functions of your desk far less. The whole point of having a sit to stand desk is you will use it to change position frequently (ideally once every 45 minutes to an hour) so that you are never overusing your stabilizing musculature in one specific posture for too long. If the process of changing positions is a nuisance and you don't use it on a reasonable schedule, you'd might as well save your money and not even bother. If you go for a memory preset you can simply push a button and go to the washroom/check your phone/etc. while the adjustment takes care of itself

I personally use and will vouch for the Jarvis standing desk from Fully.com.

https://www.fully.com/standing-desks/jarvis.html

The reviews on this unit are excellent, the build quality is solid, and the warranty is great. You are also able to order the base without their tops for a fair bit less money/shipping than ordering a complete unit. What I did (since shipping to Canada was horrendous) is I ordered the base frame (389.00 USD) and memory unit and then upon receipt just had a custom top done. If you're looking to save money now, you can also just go to Home Depot and buy a 8' or 6' prefab countertop for less than 100 bucks which will likely serve your needs well.

Reldey

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Feb 14, 2017
I am a physiotherapist by trade and routinely recommend my clients go for sit to stand desks. My two cents are as follows:

- Ikea sit to stand desks are of Ikea quality. The physician I rent my clinic space from bought a few Ikea sit to stands for the clinic and several of them have already had issues with dead motors. While warranty was still on the desks at the time of failure, my feeling is that they will likely fail again once out of warranty. I would suggest staying away from their products given my experiences.

- If you're going to get a sit-to-stand desk DEFINITELY spend the extra money to get memory presets. A manual hydraulic system will be the cheapest you can buy, with a manual electric being significantly more in most cases. With both of these solutions you will run into two problems:

1.) You will not have the exact same working height at sit or stand each time you move positions. While you wouldn't think being an inch higher or lower would make a big difference, in my experience it will likely have negative influences on your posture which in turn will lead to postural fatigue and soreness. A memory based electric table will make sure you get the exact same height every single time.

2.) As soon as you have to sit there for 30 seconds pushing a button or manually lift/lower you will likely use the sit/stand functions of your desk far less. The whole point of having a sit to stand desk is you will use it to change position frequently (ideally once every 45 minutes to an hour) so that you are never overusing your stabilizing musculature in one specific posture for too long. If the process of changing positions is a nuisance and you don't use it on a reasonable schedule, you'd might as well save your money and not even bother. If you go for a memory preset you can simply push a button and go to the washroom/check your phone/etc. while the adjustment takes care of itself

I personally use and will vouch for the Jarvis standing desk from Fully.com.

https://www.fully.com/standing-desks/jarvis.html

The reviews on this unit are excellent, the build quality is solid, and the warranty is great. You are also able to order the base without their tops for a fair bit less money/shipping than ordering a complete unit. What I did (since shipping to Canada was horrendous) is I ordered the base frame (389.00 USD) and memory unit and then upon receipt just had a custom top done. If you're looking to save money now, you can also just go to Home Depot and buy a 8' or 6' prefab countertop for less than 100 bucks which will likely serve your needs well.

Perfect, just the info I was looking for. Thank you for the write up, I hope it is useful to more people here than just me. Maybe this could be its own article on the SFF-Network?

Kmpkt

KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
I'd love to do an ergonomics piece for SmallFormFactor if there were adequate interest.

Reactions: dealda

Dstrm

Chassis Packer
Feb 8, 2019
I have a plain old workbench as a desk. Keep it in a standing position and have modified my computer chair to be tall enough to sit at the desk when I want. Better quality wheels, taller drafting chair piston ( it's funny how tall it can go now ) and a foot ring.

Best decision I ever made.

Kmpkt

KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
What about the UPLIFT Desk frame?

Looks pretty much identical to the Jarvis (wouldn't be surprised if it was as the Jarvis was also formerly rated best in class by Wirecutter). I see no reason not to go with it, but like I mentioned above, don't forget to upgrade the control panel to the memory-enabled one.

Reactions: vanbeveren

vanbeveren

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Mar 21, 2019
Looks pretty much identical to the Jarvis (wouldn't be surprised if it was as the Jarvis was also formerly rated best in class by Wirecutter). I see no reason not to go with it, but like I mentioned above, don't forget to upgrade the control panel to the memory-enabled one.

Bad to have one on casters?

My space has concrete floors and variable lightning throughout the day and it would be really ideal to be able to move the workstation around.

Kmpkt

KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
Casters are fine, you just need to set the sit and stand height with them on is all. I have casters on mine and they make life a lot easier in an open workspace.

ywori

Trash Compacter
Jul 6, 2018
@Kmpkt

While we are on this topic, could you give a guideline for a good posture to be in while using standing and using the desk, and a good posture to be in while sitting and using the desk? For eg, when seated, should your feet be planted firmly on the floor and your elbows to be above the table level?

And any good ergonomic chairs to recommend?

vanbeveren

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Mar 21, 2019
@Kmpkt

While we are on this topic, could you give a guideline for a good posture to be in while using standing and using the desk, and a good posture to be in while sitting and using the desk? For eg, when seated, should your feet be planted firmly on the floor and your elbows to be above the table level?

And any good ergonomic chairs to recommend?

Agreed - I'm struggling mightily on these points and have been for 2 years+ now.
Ridiculously and somewhat oddly, I actually find great comfort with my laptop in a variety of formations throughout the day.

It seems clear to me that "mixing it up" is becoming critical as I get older.

Kandirma

Trash Compacter
Sep 13, 2017
@Kmpkt

While we are on this topic, could you give a guideline for a good posture to be in while using standing and using the desk, and a good posture to be in while sitting and using the desk?

Mayo clinic has a brief description of that info, both for sitting and for standing. Getting everything perfect takes a decent amount of effort, and having the save presets helps with that a ton.

Beardedswede

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jun 9, 2018
Ikea is great. At work we bought the stand and they put our own boards on them in the dtyöe and thick was we wanted . Either way . They work very well.