[STALLED] Watercooled SNES!

ChairmanDev

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Jul 11, 2017
@ejectbutton Thanks! I think that routing the pcie ribbon will be one of the harder challenges. I could go up through the cartridge slot, but that'll require a couple of awkward 90* folds. I think that the 3M ribbon can handle that just fine though. The other option is to just have a small flip open cover above the pcie slot and have the ribbon cable go straight up to the GPU box. I'll have to play around with it.

@rfarmer Yeah, definitely. I'm planning to accommodate for a something like the Gigabyte 1080 mini at the very least. The 1080ti mini that Zotac makes is a bit longer so that may require some tricky positioning.

@Craiga35 I think I have to go with the Fractal block now. Got some more exact measurements that include the height of the fittings from an Apogee owner and it looks like it won't fit. A Kelvin T12 is on Amazon for about the same price including shipping as the eBay one that you found. I'll make the changes for the fill port as well. Thanks a bunch for the help man! :thumb:

@GuilleAcoustic Haha thanks! Gunbound was my jam back then, shame to see how it has turned out. The music will always be in my top 5 for best video game music LOL.

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
I think that Kelvin T12 is a smart move for this case. Much lower profile than the Apogee with swivel barbs, G1/4 fittings and fill port. I have an Apogee Drive II that I had used in my Ncase and while it is a good performing pump/block it can be an absolute PITA to prime the pump.

Reactions: ChairmanDev

EdZ

Virtual Realist
May 11, 2015
I drew up a preliminary reservoir last night to slot in next to the mobo. I'm not too sure if it's the best design for the job, but there's not many other configurations I can do given the space restrictions.
To save space, you could omit the reservoir entirely: add a T-piece at a part of the loop where you can position it as the highest point. Add a tall 'pipe' to the the T-piece. Fill the loop, then run it with the pipe in place and open at the top to allow for de-gassing. Once done, tip out the contents of the 'pipe' into a container, remove the pipe (unscrew from T-piece, this is where the T-piece being at the top is important) and screw in a blanking cap in its place. If placement does not allow for the T-piece to be quite at the top, you can just cut the 'pipe' down and leave a small segment attached, and plug that off.

ChairmanDev

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Jul 11, 2017
To save space, you could omit the reservoir entirely: add a T-piece at a part of the loop where you can position it as the highest point. Add a tall 'pipe' to the the T-piece. Fill the loop, then run it with the pipe in place and open at the top to allow for de-gassing. Once done, tip out the contents of the 'pipe' into a container, remove the pipe (unscrew from T-piece, this is where the T-piece being at the top is important) and screw in a blanking cap in its place. If placement does not allow for the T-piece to be quite at the top, you can just cut the 'pipe' down and leave a small segment attached, and plug that off.

Yeah, my original plan was to use a T-fitting. It'd definitely make the internals a hell of a lot simpler, but I've grown to like how the res looks in there LOL. I just think it looks cool, and would look even crazier filled with coolant.

Craiga35

Trash Compacter
Dec 17, 2017
Yeah, my original plan was to use a T-fitting. It'd definitely make the internals a hell of a lot simpler, but I've grown to like how the res looks in there LOL. I just think it looks cool, and would look even crazier filled with coolant.

The fillport on the side of the Kelvin block kind of removes the need for a t-fitting if you wanted to run with no reservoir. The only thing a t-fitting would accomplish is being able to fill the loop after it's installed, but seeing as how your loop would only be two components anyway that advantage is negligible. I'd just fill it outside the case and install it filled and remove it for maintenance.

GamersNexus on YT did a video recently on refilling an AIO with a fillport (Enermax tr4) and the process would be the same for the Kelvin block if you wanted a good reference guide.

Also, I just checked out the Kelvin T12 on Amazon. It also comes from Israel, so probably the same seller. But, at least you get some support from Amazon if you buy through them. Shipping might still take a little though.

Last edited:

wywywywy

Airflow Optimizer
Aug 12, 2016
Hi.

I have a Fractal Kelvin and like the Apogee Drive, it too is much thicker than the EK.

Also, the tube connectors come out of the side not the top, so make sure you have enough space.

One last thing, it is very very very difficult to fill with that little fill port. Almost impossible if you want to fill in place.

Another thing you could do is to use one of these little flow meters as a tiny reservoir. I use one as a drain port.

aquelito

King of Cable Management
Piccolo PC
Feb 16, 2016
Great project !

You could also use an EK Annihilator instead, and place a custom res on top of it (with a conveniently placed fill port) ?
From my measurement, you should have around 12 mm between the top of the block and the top edge of the IO shield.
I do not know how much extra-clearance above the CPU offers the particular Snes shape though.

Then use a small DC-LT Pump with its plexi top (49 x 49 x 24), placed between the CPU block and the radiator ?

ChairmanDev

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Jul 11, 2017
@wywywywy I'd like to just use the Apogee, but unfortunately the fittings will interfere with the top of the case. I found a Corsair block/pump model on grabcad that I've modified a bit to substitute a Kelvin block model (just moved the fitting ports). I think it should fit with plenty of room to spare. I will probably be incorporating that custom reservoir into the build anyways. It'll make filling a little easier and it looks cool as hell.

@aquelito Thanks! That Annihilator block is interesting, super low profile. The pico psu and the ram are already blocking the fans so I'm not sure if I want to stick anything else in front of them.

@Craiga35 Apparently the be quiet silent loop also has a block with standard fittings. Would you happen to know anything about those? Stray forum posts here and there seem to show that it does support standard fittings, but I find it strange that be quiet doesn't mention this or the ability to expand at all on their website.

I've found a 120 mm kit for just $66 on aquatuning. If this block also has standard fittings, I think it'd be a better option than the Kelvin, not only because it's a shit ton cheaper, but because the ports are on top rather than on the side. This would make it a hell of a lot easier to clear stuff on the mobo like VRM heatsinks and whatnot.

Last edited:

Craiga35

Trash Compacter
Dec 17, 2017
@Craiga35 Apparently the be quiet silent loop also has a block with standard fittings. Would you happen to know anything about those? Stray forum posts here and there seem to show that it does support standard fittings, but I find it strange that be quiet doesn't mention this or the ability to expand at all on their website.

I've found a 120 mm kit for just $66 on aquatuning. If this block also has standard fittings, I think it'd be a better option than the Kelvin, not only because it's a shit ton cheaper, but because the ports are on top rather than on the side. This would make it a hell of a lot easier to clear stuff on the mobo like VRM heatsinks and whatnot.

So it appears the BeQuiet! also uses removable fittings, but I can't find any info on their size (other than a German review site which alluded to g1/4 fittings). I did find that the cooler is in the same boat as the Kelvin block, not available in the US outside of imports. (Thanks Asetek!...)

I would assume that they're using g1/4 fittings, they just don't want you opening it. Possibly voids your warranty by doing so, which is why they wouldn't advertise it.

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
@wywywywy I'd like to just use the Apogee, but unfortunately the fittings will interfere with the top of the case. I found a Corsair block/pump model on grabcad that I've modified a bit to substitute a Kelvin block model (just moved the fitting ports). I think it should fit with plenty of room to spare. I will probably be incorporating that custom reservoir into the build anyways. It'll make filling a little easier and it looks cool as hell.

@aquelito Thanks! That Annihilator block is interesting, super low profile. The pico psu and the ram are already blocking the fans so I'm not sure if I want to stick anything else in front of them.

This image shows 2 X G1/4. So odds are if they are using standard G1/4 on the radiator same will be true of the block.

ChairmanDev

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Jul 11, 2017
@Craiga35 Sounds good, looks like I'm going for this one.

@rfarmer Yeah, I was just worried that it'd be something like the Celsius where there's only standard fittings on the rad side and not the pump. But it's looking like that isn't the case here. :thumb:

Craiga35

Trash Compacter
Dec 17, 2017
This image shows 2 X G1/4. So odds are if they are using standard G1/4 on the radiator same will be true of the block.

Good find, but I wouldn't be 100% sure about that. That Fractal Design Celcius (the NA variant of the Kelvin) uses 2 g1/4 fittings on the radiator, but the fittings on the block are fixed in place. So you can expand it, but you have to keep the tubing/ fittings that's already on there.

EDIT: NInja'ed^^