Advice Splitting a fan header

Florens

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Jan 9, 2019
My R5 3600 hasn't been having a very good time under it's stock cooler (in a Dan A4 v4), going 90+ degrees in a synthetic benchmark. I was hoping to upgrade to an Asetek 645LT to resolve this heat issue and maybe get a bit of an OC in.

I did some digging and this AIO setup needs a 3-pin header for the pump and a 4-pin for the Noctua fan. My case has two 4-pin headers but only the CPU one works sadly. Now I found out that Noctua fans come with a Y-splitter but I'm unsure if that has any negative side effects.
  • Is it bad to mix a 3-pin pump and a 4-pin PWM fan on a y-splitter?
  • Would I have to set my motherboard fan control to voltage mode instead of PWM?
  • Also are motherboards able to give enough current to both a fan and a pump on just a single header?

NimuronX

Case Bender
New User
Mar 9, 2018
1. No, it's completely fine to mix 3 and 4 pin, it doesn't matter.
2. I don't think so.
3. Yes, it will be more than enough.

Now, if you still haven't bought the noctua fan - only the brown ones come with splitters - black chromax ones do not.

Florens

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Jan 9, 2019
Now, if you still haven't bought the noctua fan - only the brown ones come with splitters - black chromax ones do not.
I was going to get the 645LT bundle on Caseking with the brown fan instead of the black chromax one that's selected by default (because it's a bit cheaper and I kinda like it for brand recognition lol).