Specification Creep

Urgannagru

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Sep 28, 2017
Hi,
Sorry if this post is a little unfocused just found this forum a couple of days ago and after having a bit of a lurk I've seen some pretty inspiring builds, the down side to this is it's making me rethink a project that I've started (if only Id found these forums first. So looking for a little and advice and feedback on the options I have come up with.

The initial plan was to build an AM4 system in a streacom FC8 case using a bristol ridge a12 9800, the purpose of this device to be used as a HTPC to "feed" a little 720p pico projector we have that can also be used as a bluetooth speaker for music (jmgo view) and to also allow some gaming using both the projector or steam streaming service to my laptop (a 1600X900 screen). Two modifications I've wished to make to the case are a touch screen on the case to allow music to be played with out the projector being used and for screen mirroring to be used so it can be wirelessly linked to the projector, and a USB volume control knob. The volume control knob went fairly successfully even if it is poorly cobble together and I couldn't find the exact style of knob I was hoping for (looking for a plain black aluminium knob around 50-60mm in diameter, making do with a 30mm one but it looks a little out of proportion), the screen has been less successful however as I forgot that the internal width of the case is smaller than the external so there isn't enough clearance for the hdmi cable (even when using a right angled adapter) so I've butcher the case and currently have the screen mounted externally on stand off which looks awful but will at least function if I can't figure out a solution.

The rethink has come about with seeing the impressive builds where people have managed to passively cool a 1030 in the case along with hearing about the fabled low profile single slot 1050ti which offer far more punch to the pc with the a12 9800 only really functioning at low on most games at 720p, and while its hard to say for certain with the leaks so far on raven ridge I'm not sure it will allow me to push games at native resolution streamed to my laptop (interested in hearing peoples gut feelings on what would be reasonable to expect of raven ridge as thats my main reason for considering AM4).

So having so far just obtained and butchered the case (got lucky with a 2nd hand one on ebay), the volume control and screen these are options I see so far:

1) Stick with the original plan of a12 9800/raven ridge upgrade path and try find an alternative screen. (I'd like a usb powered on to keep all cables internal but cant find one above 800x480 and I believe windows 10 need 800x600 for a primary display, also would need to be bezeless around the thickness of the waveshare)

2) Copy cat Hulksters amazing build with a 35w intel cpu and a 1030 for slight improvement in performance.

3) Go partially passive and either get a 1030 or take a risk with taobao and try get an asl 1050ti, and make a vent in the side of the case and hope that will do the trick.

4) Most expensive but easiest way to get the power, sleekness and passive cooling, shop in the FC8 for the FC9 the extra width should be enough to mount the waveshare screen in the lid, got for a 35w tdp intel then heres the risky bit that I need thoughts on, the opposing wall appears to be a heat sink as well complete with identical mounting holes, being as the heat sink walls are slightly larger than the FC8 and that they can deal with 65-95w it seems possible to use it to cool a 75w 1050ti, though through either a regular or flat heat pipe assembly.

Sorry for the length but interested in hearing folks thoughts as these forums seem to be an impressive resource.

Cheers!

PS. On of chance anyone is familiar with modifying kodi for windows, are there any addons or modifications that can be made to allow you to access bluetooth or screen mirroring with outgoing through windows desktop? In an ideal world once set up I'd like to get it to boot to kodi and have everything accessed from there via the touchscreen or controller so keyboard is only needed for administration.