SpaceX finally nails a droneship landing!

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
Just finished the stream, those IR shots were indeed quite lovely to look at. A little disappointing that there wasn't any footage of the satellites being actually deployed, but that's really the only bad thing I can say.

jtd871

SFF Guru
Jun 22, 2015
Watching them bullseye the first stage landing (even recorded) hasn't gotten old to me yet. Gotta second @iFreilicht - would've been amazing to actually watch the payload deploying. Maybe they'll film it onboard next time and then download the video when they get within range of a suitable ground station.

One more thing: not that I've done any research, but what happens to the 2nd stage once the payload is deployed? Does it actively brake (as opposed to just letting the orbit degrade by friction) and fall back into the atmosphere to burn up?

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Apparently Elon Musk was totally serious about starting a boring company:
So I guess progress will start as soon as next month on his secret lair tunnels to ease surface road congestion in LA.

3lfk1ng

King of Cable Management
SFFn Staff
Bronze Supporter
Jun 3, 2016
www.reihengaming.com
Haha, he was smart to add the words "or so".

That basically means "as early as next month" aka, sometime in the future.

I'm eager to see what Tony Stark Elon Musk will do next.

LocoMoto

DEVOURER OF BAKED POTATOES
Jul 19, 2015
Apparently Elon Musk was totally serious about starting a boring company:
So I guess progress will start as soon as next month on his secret lair tunnels to ease surface road congestion in LA.

Doubt they'll hire a Swedish international drilling company but I bet me and the foreman will have fun dreaming they will :'D

EdZ

Virtual Realist
May 11, 2015
It's a rather more boring project: the SpaceX campuses are separated by a few large roads with no crossing points nearby. Worse, their main parking structure is on the opposite side to their head offices, so they've had a shuttle bus operating between them for the past few years due to several accidents with employees trying to cross the road. They've been trying for years to get approval to build a pedestrian overpass, but it seems they've now given up and started on a more expensive (but less disruptive to traffic, which is why the overpass kept getting rejected) tunnel instead.

jtd871

SFF Guru
Jun 22, 2015
Knowing Musk, he'll tell them to just keep going until they join the HQ to both NY and Tokyo, and then he'll build a Hyperloop in it. :D

jeshikat

Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
It's a rather more boring project:[...]

So it's the Falcon 1 of the Boring Company? Can't wait to see what their Falcon 9, Falcon heavy, and MCT look like :)

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
Maybe that boring project would only boring from a billionaire's perspective, and that it will literally involve boring through a lot of rock and dirt underground. It's still crazy to know that he has enough money to say, "oh I think I will buy a huge tunnel boring machine today" and that's like a pet project to him, as casually as any of us walking to a hardware store to buy a few power tools XD

INB4 he announces that they'll make it a hyperloop prototype.

That's my thoughts on it too.

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
SpaceX coming in with the announcement to fly two people around the moon. HOLY COW.

I was expecting the announcement to be a planned launch date for Falcon Heavy, or the first Crew Dragon test flight, but this really builds upon those two things in a big way.

And I have a hunch that it will take place in the 50th anniversary of Apollo 8 (first manned flight beyond LEO).

Reactions: Cohesive Reality

jeshikat

Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
The ultra-wealthy one-upping each other with ever more expensive supercars, mansions, yachts, etc. is such a waste of resources to me.

If we could get a billionaire version of the "keeping up with the Joneses" but with the side effect of pushing the envelope of manned spaceflight, now that's something I could get behind :D

EdZ

Virtual Realist
May 11, 2015
It's going to be interesting to see how far the collaboration with NASA can go. No NASA astronauts under the Commercial Crew programme will fly on Dragon 2 until Falcon 9 Block 5 has been flown multiple times and man-rated (recent launches are still Block 3), with no announced plans to ever rate Falcon 9 Heavy for human spaceflight. Even if the commercial passengers are not NASA employees, they will still likely need NASA to train them, assist with long-term PLSS, assist with long-range telemetry (long-duration priority time the on already crowded Deep Space Network), allow pad operations at LC-39A, etc. These are not capabilities SpaceX can reasonably replicate in a two year timespan. Some of these duties could be performed by Roscosmos (who have experience training supernumerary crew for flights to the ISS, and have a limited deep-space tracking network) but that has logistical issues when not launching on a Soyuz from Baikonur (e.g. ITAR issues with sending a Dragon 2 simulator to Star City).

jeshikat

Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Weird seeing consumer marketing techniques applied to large utility projects:

For context, south Australia is having issues with intermittent power outages, and someone at Tesla suggested they could install a 100MWh battery storage facility within 100 days of signing the contract.

Mr Cannon-Brookes, co-founder of Atlassian, called Tesla out on it and Elon (in typical fashion) upped the ante, I'm sure much to the chagrin of the managers who would be responsible for actually making this happen :p

Reactions: Phuncz

BirdofPrey

Standards Guru
Sep 3, 2015
To be fair, they have hyped the usefulness of their batteries for ppwer infrastructure before, though I think the main method thry suggested was using parked cars for thst when they weren't otherwise in use.

EdZ

Virtual Realist
May 11, 2015
Look at it this way: Even if Tesla 'fail' to do it within the 100 day timeframe, for the cost of a system install they get the most valuable training possible in rapidly rolling out a grid-level buffering system: a live trail in a production environment. Plus, if they can even come close to that sort of timeframe, they can add that both as a selling point, and use it as a stick to beat clients with (because projects dragging on means employees tied up pointlessly).

jeshikat

Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015

Another successful launch! Now they just need to keep it up for the rest of the year to work through the backlog.