Power Supply Some questions regarding PSUs

artemis

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Jun 7, 2016
So I'm running a FURY X with a 400W SFX PSU
this one: KRPW-SX400W-90+ (80plus gold)

as you can see the psu only have 1 6pin, the card requires 2x8pins

but I was confident it can run fine with an undervolt (1000/500 - -95mV), so I use an 6 => 8pins adapter, a 1 to 2 molex adapter and a 2x molex 4pins to 8pins adapter. (Yes I know, stupid me)

the computer ran fine for about a week, then this morning when I game for 20 mins the computer black screened. reset. relaunched game, still black screen. I disassemble the box and the 12V pin on the molex burnt a little bit

Q: should I continue to use the SFX PSU? if so, which is better? 6 to 2x8pins adapter vs a 2x SATA to 8pins
Using a 6 to 2x8pins adapter means 3 yellow cable
Using a 2x SATA to 8pins means 5 yellow cable (the unit have 2 sets of sata cables)

thanks alot for reading :D

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
So I'm running a FURY X with a 400W SFX PSU
this one: KRPW-SX400W-90+ (80plus gold)

as you can see the psu only have 1 6pin, the card requires 2x8pins

but I was confident it can run fine with an undervolt (1000/500 - -95mV), so I use an 6 => 8pins adapter, a 1 to 2 molex adapter and a 2x molex 4pins to 8pins adapter. (Yes I know, stupid me)

the computer ran fine for about a week, then this morning when I game for 20 mins the computer black screened. reset. relaunched game, still black screen. I disassemble the box and the 12V pin on the molex burnt a little bit

Q: should I continue to use the SFX PSU? if so, which is better? 6 to 2x8pins adapter vs a 2x SATA to 8pins
Using a 6 to 2x8pins adapter means 3 yellow cable
Using a 2x SATA to 8pins means 5 yellow cable (the unit have 2 sets of sata cables)

thanks alot for reading :D

The answer is no. Throw it in the trash or else you may burn your house. Get a quality unit, like Silverstone SX-500-G or SF450, or SF600.

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
That is exactly my feeling, the PSU gave you a warning and you got away lucky. Better off not pushing your luck.

artemis

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Jun 7, 2016
The answer is no. Throw it in the trash or else you may burn your house. Get a quality unit, like Silverstone SX-500-G or SF450, or SF600.
Honestly. I don't think the quality of the unit is a problem. This one is indeed a very good Japan made unit, quality is up there with corsair or seasonic. I'm only concerning about the total wattage.
As it's single rail. I may go the extra length and solder a set of 2x 6+2 pins cable to the pcb, replacing the original 6pins, see how it goes :D

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
Honestly. I don't think the quality of the unit is a problem. This one is indeed a very good Japan made unit, quality is up there with corsair or seasonic. I'm only concerning about the total wattage.
As it's single rail. I may go the extra length and solder a set of 2x 6+2 pins cable to the pcb, replacing the original 6pins, see how it goes :D

You don't state which video card you are using but if it has 2 x 8pin it is a high power one, I am sure it is well over 400 watt requirement. Considering the cost of the other components and the cost of a higher watt PSU I would go with the new PSU.

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com

How do you know it is good quality?

There's a reason why they didn't even put a single 8 pin.

But if you wish to solder a "400" watt psu, then what's the point of asking for advice if you're going to disregard it? We just don't want you to burn down your house.

You're lucky that all you got was a burnt connector. 120W on a single molex connector is beyond stupid.

Last edited: