Power Supply Smallest Power brick/setup

Bshoults

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Sep 20, 2017
Hey guys,
I did a search but didn't find exactly what I needed. I'm about to pull the trigger on my first build. My goal is to create the smallest, most portable system I can. This is some of my proposed build. I would LOVE to be brickless, but that's not going to be possible with the case I've chosen. I'm going to building on the Streamcom FC1 with a i3 8100, with integrated graphics obviously. So my question is about the PSU and brick. I have a few questions...

Will the 120w setup from Streamcom be enough for what I need?

Alternately, is Mini-box a better choice?

My goal here is to get a power brick that's as small as possible while providing enough power to the system. Are there other alternatives I should consider? Laptops, etc?

Thanks and sorry for the noobish questions.

Zackmd1

Airflow Optimizer
Jun 3, 2016
I would not be surprised if your system doesn’t peak at more then 80-90 watts from the wall. A 120 watt solution should be more then enough. What you could look into is purchasing your power block like the streamcom and then pair that with an Xbox One S power supply. That would get you a completely internal power solution (ie no external power brick required).

I’m curious though, why intel integrated graphics instead of a Ryzen APU? Roughly same cpu performance but vastly superior graphics.

Reactions: SeñorDonut

Bshoults

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Sep 20, 2017
I'll answer your question before asking more of my own! This will be a hackintosh...I left that bit out as it doesn't really factor into this. I would LOVE something like that though.

Ok, so from what I can tell, the xbone one s uses an internal power supply (assuming it fits in the case)? Like this. So, to complete this build I would need the aforementioned power supply and a PicoPSU like this? This has me intrigued though...I would kill for a brickless solution this small...

Bshoults

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Sep 20, 2017
Found dimensions you posted in your build thread.
128mm length
60mm width
44mm height

With a bit of modification the housing height can be dropped to 40mm. Removing the PSU from the housing drops about 4mm from all dimensions.

Reactions: Zackmd1

Zackmd1

Airflow Optimizer
Jun 3, 2016
I'll answer your question before asking more of my own! This will be a hackintosh...I left that bit out as it doesn't really factor into this. I would LOVE something like that though.

Ok, so from what I can tell, the xbone one s uses an internal power supply (assuming it fits in the case)? Like this. So, to complete this build I would need the aforementioned power supply and a PicoPSU like this? This has me intrigued though...I would kill for a brickless solution this small...

Ok that now makes sense! I do know Ryzen hackintosh is possible. Not sure about APUs though.

That is correct that the Xbox has an internal AC/DC power supply. You can look at your power solution as two separate components. The AC/DC converter (Xbox PSU or similar) and then the Pico as the power distribution block (also creates the 5v and 3.3v needed).

This will likely be the smallest and most stable power solution you can build for this rig.

Reactions: Bshoults

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
If you're going to be low enough on your power draw, you could consider the HDPlex 80W AC-DC for your build along with either an HDPlex 160W DC-ATX or KMPKT Dynamo Mini (same unit, different aesthetics). I would personally consider holding on just a little longer for the release of the remainder of Intel's 8XXX processor line. There will likely be a 35W CPU in i5 or i7 that will outperform the i3 8100 while drawing less power. Just my two cents.

Bshoults

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Sep 20, 2017
This is very much an ongoing process. I'm agonizing on every bit of this build as it's my first pc build ever. I may hold for a bit to see what intel releases. I was surprised the 8100 was still a 65w chip.

What I don't really understand is that you're suggesting the HDPlex 80W AC-DC + KMPKT Dynamo Mini (or HDPlex 160w) as a total solution correct? How is the HDPlex 80W AC-DC different from your Dynamo Power Supply? Or would they both work?

Sorry for the questions, these all look like good solutions, but I'm also wondering about space/size constraints and mounting so the visually thinner Dynamo Power Supply looks intriguing, though I don't know the dimensions (and if it would even work).

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
Hey @Bshoults,

So the Dynamo units are simply DC-DC conversion boards. That is they convert 19V DC current to the 12V, 5V and 3.3V currents that your motherboard can actually use. You need a AC-DC unit to output a workable DC current from AC wall power to enable my boards to function - this is the role of the 80W brick. The advantage of the Dynamo Mini and HDPlex 160W DC-ATX is that they are able to fit within the footprint of your motherboard (slight overhang but minor) which means you don't really have to allow for much more space than the actual motherboard occupies to use them. The point of using one the the HDPlex AC-DC units (80W, 160W or 300W) is that they are matched for the KMPKT and HDPlex DC solutions, so there is no worry about compatibility.

Reactions: Bshoults

Bshoults

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Sep 20, 2017
Thanks so much for the kindness guys. You never know how beginners will be treated on a forum. Good people here... @Kmpkt, your builds have been my inspiration for the brickless setup. I didn't realize that it might be possible on my case the Streamcom FC1. I haven't seen anyone else attempt a brickless on this case, but going to try. I don't have any of the hardware yet, so it will be a little trial and error.

I did have one other question about power...with my build in PCPartpicker, it's saying I need from 33w-126w of power. Do you guys think the 80w brick will be sufficient? I'm assuming it will be fine. I thought about waiting for the lower power chips, but now that the build is getting more solidified, I'm getting anxious. The only thing I might add later is another 7200 HD for storage. Here's what it says:
  • Intel - Core i3-8100 3.6GHz Quad-Core Processor 8W - 65W
  • Noctua - NH-L9i 33.8 CFM CPU Cooler 5W - 10W
  • ASRock - Z370M-ITX/ac Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard 7W - 30W
  • G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory 11W - 11W
  • Samsung - 960 EVO 250GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive 2W - 10W
  • Total: 33W - 126W
Now, for my power setup, this is what it looks like:
My last question is that I can't find a 3 pronged polarized power cord. I can only find the 2 prong variety. Is a 3 prong plug necessary in this case?

Thanks again! I plan to do a build log.