Log SMALLEST ATX CASE : CERBERUS-X (Complete build log)

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Apr 1, 2016

Smallest case I could come up with, just for shiggles. 161mm H x 317mm W x 313 D, 15.97L. Only downside is you'd have no choice but to watercool the CPU or use a low TDP one.
Wouah that make too much wc vs components to cool...:) and i guess you can go for sfx psu instead of atx..:) but it's the same layout of cerberus-x, just smaller one..:)

WOW THATS SMALL, Ive been in contact with them to get a case :/

Ill most likely be moving to Taiwan to start a start up need something small like this
Cerberus-x should become serial before end of year
or ryzen 7...yes this is also a viable option...with a rx vega..:)

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Good to finally see the build log ! That red color really pops ! Can't wait !

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Apr 1, 2016
For psu, i've finally chosen to stay on sf600 vs sx700lpt/sx800lti. Sf600 could be loud while placed in hot area, but thanks to superior cooling of cerberus-x and sf600 smaller size (thus better cable management), i decided to use it..:)

Mar 6, 2017
Wouah that make too much wc vs components to cool...:) and i guess you can go for sfx psu instead of atx..

Air cooled (Cryorig C7), SFX PSU, and a lot of SSDs. 9.16L. I need to find something better to do.

Reactions: cmyk78
Mar 6, 2017
For psu, i've finally chosen to stay on sf600 vs sx700lpt/sx800lti. Sf600 could be loud while placed in hot area, but thanks to superior cooling of cerberus-x and sf600 smaller size (thus better cable management), i decided to use it..:)

Nice choice! I have an SF600, it's very quiet in my Node 202.

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Apr 1, 2016
Nice choice! I have an SF600, it's very quiet in my Node 202.
Me too..but sf600 in node 202 became quiet only when i put a 120mm exhaust fan on top on motherboard...this fan is used for cpu cooling and also to remove all ambient hot air in node 202...damn effective..:)
Without this fan i needed to underclock far more my hot core i7 4770k (3.0ghz vs 3.5ghz)...and even sf600 was really loud after 1h gaming session (especially in horizontal stand)

Reactions: SeñorDonut

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Apr 1, 2016
Well i've just finished to build a working r7 1700x setup.
However not everything went well as my pump simply died without any warning and i've almost fried all y system..:( Hopefully thanks to crosshair vi am3 mounting points i was able to use one noctua u9s.

Clearly assembly in cerberus-x was pretty straight forward..:) and it's still a prototype build..:)

Stay tuned when i will have more time..:)

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Apr 1, 2016
Well...yes...I'll simply ignore watercooling from now...especially I'm already at 3.8Ghz OC (1.375v) on U9S with no big deal..:)

Currently I'm unable to reach 3200Mhz ram speed...but I need to tweak more..:)

Clearly out of the box OC 3.8Ghz, 2933Mhz was super easy on air..:)

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Apr 1, 2016
Well my prototype build went alive this week-end after lost battle versus a dead pump/not working customed WC build..:)

This build is 100% functionnal, not perfect, but still great...and here is the summary.

So here is the setup :
  • Motherboard : Asus Crosshair VI Hero
  • CPU : AMD Ryzen R7 1700X (I had a good deal, buying it at same price as R7 1700)
  • RAM : G.Skill Flare-X 3200Mhz C14 (Samsung b-dies)
  • Storage : M.2 nvme Samsung 950 Pro
  • PSU : SFX Corsair SF600
  • CPU cooler : noctua U9S (using AM3) + dual NF-B9 redux-1600 PWM
  • Bottom fans (Intake) : dual fractal design venturi HP-12 PWM
  • Rear fan (exhaust) : Noctua NF-A9 PWM
Building inside Cerberus-X is pretty easy and straight forward, however I noted several minor small issues :
  • I was unable to fit motherboard back i/o shield. This one is specific to high end asus and includes some foam...even on classical cases I struggle to put it in place with motherboard.
  • except if you have a long and thin philips screw driver, you have to dismount SFX psu bracket to screw PSU. The same is true to plug AC extension
  • my AC plug with 90° elbow is to too tall for the case so top panel cannot be in position
  • So I'm eager to receive SFX AC extension and also USB 3.0 front panel cable..:)
  • Definitely labeling power button cables (led and power) is a must do for serial release..:D

Speaking of performances :
  • I managed to reach easily 3.9Ghz on 8 cores (@1.375v), RAM 2933Mhz C14. I reached a whoppy 1694 under cinebench R15.
  • During gaming, the whole setup is cool and dead quiet at the exception of PSU (damn SF600 with its too agressive fan curve...:))
  • I managed to boot at 4ghz but it was not really stable...I need to give more vcore.
  • I'll play also with bclk
  • Speaking of gaming performance? Well to be simple : using GTX 1070 in in Rise of the tomb raider (DX12, 1440p, ultra, geothermal valley) is completely fluid and stable @60hz..:D
  • Bios post is a little bit longer than on my intel setup (4770K or 6700K), however windows 10 pro starts quicker...and programs are loading faster at start up...GREAT! Windows 10 experience is noticeably better on 8 cores ryzen than on my intel 4 cores...:)
Conclusion :
Even if it's still a prototype build (cpu cooler, psu and gpu are meant to be updated), Cerberus-X is truly a kick ass product! I love it and didn't regret to buy it from Pre Serial #1 run..:)
A lot needs to be done on my setup, but current build is already impressive and effective!
Long live KI Cerberus-X!

Here are photos of the build:

here is the issue of top panel :

And here is the complete build :

Photos of performance achieved

TheHig

King of Cable Management
Oct 13, 2016
Nice job! Thanks for all the details also. I said this before but that red really looks good. :thumb:

Kwirek

Cable-Tie Ninja
Nov 19, 2016
Nice, doesn't look big at all! But too bad about the power-plug, but if it hadn't been for the power-button and usb-cut outs I might have thought it was part of a radical design to improve airflow. :-P

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Apr 1, 2016
Nice, doesn't look big at all! But too bad about the power-plug, but if it hadn't been for the power-button and usb-cut outs I might have thought it was part of a radical design to improve airflow. :-P
Like sport cars...roof opened..:)

I need this caseeee
O yes..this case is changing everything for me...same size of mini itx but with full atx boards....amazing..:)