Log SMALLEST ATX CASE : CERBERUS-X (Complete build log)

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Apr 1, 2016
I have a Maine Coon too, or should i say a Mini / SFF Coon ? 2 years old now and "only" 6kg.

Ahah beautiful baby. Our biggest main coon (we have 7 main coon and 1 Siberian) is 12kg...after it drops to 9kg..:) Most of them are between 6-8 kg..:)

I love SFF and big cats..:)

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Apr 1, 2016
Last step of my setup with Asetek 645LT : pump speed regulation. (don't forget all below numbers needs to be divided by 2 to get real rpm)
Unfortunately Asus Motherboard (Fan Xpert 4) is unable to drive pump below 3600 rpm (approx 7v). I tested again my Corsair Commander Mini and I'm able to reach 2700rpm (approx 5v) on Asetek 645LT pump.

Due to small size of AIO (92mm radiator, shorter tubes), 2700rpm is enough to passtrough everything. At 2700rpm pump is becoming acceptable in terms of noise, even at low load/idle.
Bad news is that Asus Motherboard is not able to reach this threshold (I saw reports Asrock MB were able to to reach this voltage).

Edit : Just figured out what's wrong. In fact Asetek 645LT pump is not liking between 7v-5v..;)
For example : on Asus board : When I go at 52% (DC mode), pump is cutting itself...however at 43% it's back to life at 2700rpm...:D

Last edited:

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Apr 1, 2016
Finally I went back to Corsair commander mini. Asus motherboard struggled to power properly asetek 645LT at 5v...:(
I got best results using Corsair commander mini but also, all mighty Zalman fan mate 2...back 10 years ago lol..:)

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Apr 1, 2016
At last got it sorted using Fan Xpert 4...but definitely there is some issues at 5v on Crosshair VI Hero :

threestripevida

Airflow Optimizer
Mar 28, 2017
Where did you download Fan xpert? I have an asus x470-f in my build, and none of the links on the asus website give me the option to download it,

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Apr 1, 2016
It’s part of AI suite.
Generally I download one from latest motherboard...to get latest version..:)

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Apr 1, 2016
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Advanced testing on Watercooling 92mm inside Cerberus-X
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As I was impressed by cooling efficiency of Asetek 645LT, using rear 92mm slot inside my Cerberus-X, I decide to build customed loop using best 92mm radiator (Hardware labs Nemesis M92 GTX)

In terms of waterblock/pump I used my old (from late 2015)
Here it is, in my bitfenix Phenom, full watercooled...that was not successful with that pump. Now I know it was related to my quick connect/disconnect (from Koolance) that were way too restrictive for this pump. (it worked like a charm with DDC..:))

I've chosen this pump as it's small enough (radiator is quite thick with 54mm), and quite easy to fill (but air bubbles draining was not..;))

For once I used Mayhems 10/16mm transparent tube to try to minimize evaporation. I always recommend using transparent tubing in customed AIO to easily check liquid level.

As usual I used barbed fitting with hose clamps...cheaper and safest choice as you always see where is tube...:D
I also replace all ring seal on G1/4" fittins (white one to see them well)

In terms of fluid, I used distilled/demineralized water + EK red cryofuel (concentrated coolant)

Filling the loop was quite easy :
  • Clean radiator with distilled water (2-3 times)
  • Fill radiator with one tube put in place
  • Connect tubes to pump (beware Nemesis M92 GTX has a specific IN/OUT. Please note outlet of Alphacool/Fractal design waterblock pump is on the right, same side of Fractal design logo)
  • Fill the loop using fillport of waterblock/pump using external PSU (almost mandatory with all customed loop..;))
  • Drain loop of air bubbles using up/down movement...please note fillport from pump is NOT a very effective airtrap (like all fillport option)...:D I spent 20 minutes to remove as much air as possible. I've still air bubbles...but at least I can't hear them...so I'm fine..;)
  • Check for potential leaks & Clean waterblock with paper towel to make sure no liquid drop will come to motherboard
  • Job's done
  • For info, I've almost used as much liquid to fill the loop than with my Apogee drive II + MCR 220 (240mm radiator) : 250ml vs 175ml. Asetek 645Lt is using 86ml
Here is my setup to drain airbubbles (i love my small G1/4" funnel to fill..:))

Strangely enough, hardest part of this assembly was to dismount "glued" AM4 backplate to mount AM3 backplate (I'm still in prototype mode)

And tada, here it is in the all-mighty Cerberus-X :

I found final result gorgeous!

Now it's time to pump noise test, as you know, I'm pretty sensitive to noise, especially from pumps..:D

From start I was a little bit sad as I was expecting near silent operation, like my Apogee drive II @1200rpm.
However, to be honest, while at 5v (1100rpm) Alphacool DC-LT is not distractive. I will qualify as very quiet at idle/low load.
While gaming, GPU is taking the lead on noise (fans & coil whine) leading to Quiet area (I can play with speakers with no issue. Headphones are far from being mandatory)

In terms of performance, my Ryzen 7 3800X overclocked at 4.3Ghz all cores at 1.3125v is reaching :
  • 82°C under stress test
  • 80°C on video encoding (Da Vinci encodern using all cores)
  • 50°C-60°C on gaming load

ps : I returned to RAM at 3200MTS with CAS 14-14-14-14-34...I'm reaching better numbers than may overclocking to 3800MTS

I'm planning to continue trial for several weeks/months to see how customed AIO will behave (evaporation, noise, etc..)

For now, I'm pleased with level reached.

TheHig

King of Cable Management
Oct 13, 2016
Digging the small custom loop! Those are some very decent results for just one 92mm rad.

So much to like here really but what I love the most is with this setup you can easily access all the components in the build by keeping the PSU mounted in the front position. Ram, GPU,CPU, Fans all easily serviced, swapped or upgraded. I wasn't a fan of removing the PSU all the time to mess with stuff when I had a full loop or even a 240mm CLC with the PSU on the rear mount. Personal preference of course but still the front mount is the best place for it IMO for flexibility.

Reactions: MarcParis

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Apr 1, 2016
Digging the small custom loop! Those are some very decent results for just one 92mm rad.

So much to like here really but what I love the most is with this setup you can easily access all the components in the build by keeping the PSU mounted in the front position. Ram, GPU,CPU, Fans all easily serviced, swapped or upgraded. I wasn't a fan of removing the PSU all the time to mess with stuff when I had a full loop or even a 240mm CLC with the PSU on the rear mount. Personal preference of course but still the front mount is the best place for it IMO for flexibility.
We fully agree then..:)
On top of that small custom loop is not hurting gpu cooling..:)

I find cpu cooling very interesting in fact.

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Apr 1, 2016
Well, after all this content on Cerberus-X I decided to rework a lot my first message in order to make it fit (limits of 100 images and 50k words are true constraints in this specific case).

https://smallformfactor.net/forum/t...cerberus-x-complete-build-log.2007/post-43877

I really enjoyed revising it...and it became obvious that I will need to make a clear & clean summary of Cerberus-X cooling setups in the near future...;)

Once again thanks again for all the readers & supporters on this thread!

sn0man

Trash Compacter
Jan 10, 2020
I looked at your initial post a few days ago and the rework is wonderful. Bravo! I'll echo what TheHig said: this latest setup allows for quick and easy reach of all the relevant memory and CPU for swapping. Maybe a new Mobo with an M.2 slot. I went with the Intel 660p as it was pretty cheap at microcenter often. That probably doesn't matter as the area below the 1080 is probably kind of stagnet. You might be able to put in a rear mounted fan on the exapnsion slots and have a channel of air from bottom/front to rear for the video card that way.

(I've got so many fan ideas for my build (all Noctua), if you have time for advice sometime, plz feel free to ping me directly on here or to respond to my post in the Cerberus-X thread.)

Reactions: MarcParis

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Apr 1, 2016
I looked at your initial post a few days ago and the rework is wonderful. Bravo! I'll echo what TheHig said: this latest setup allows for quick and easy reach of all the relevant memory and CPU for swapping. Maybe a new Mobo with an M.2 slot. I went with the Intel 660p as it was pretty cheap at microcenter often. That probably doesn't matter as the area below the 1080 is probably kind of stagnet. You might be able to put in a rear mounted fan on the exapnsion slots and have a channel of air from bottom/front to rear for the video card that way.

(I've got so many fan ideas for my build (all Noctua), if you have time for advice sometime, plz feel free to ping me directly on here or to respond to my post in the Cerberus-X thread.)
Sorry I completely forgot to answer you..:)
Will do asap

Reactions: sn0man

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Apr 1, 2016

Will you test 645LT with your r9 3900x?..;)

TheHig

King of Cable Management
Oct 13, 2016
Believe me the temptation is there!

I really like your custom built 92mm liquid cooler though. My CerberusX setup seems perfectly balanced for my needs right now and I’m not looking to tear it down.

However I have an itx system- Ryzen 1600, Asrock b450, GTX 1660 that needs a nice case and will likely go into a SM550 in the near future.

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Apr 1, 2016
Believe me the temptation is there!

I really like your custom built 92mm liquid cooler though. My CerberusX setup seems perfectly balanced for my needs right now and I’m not looking to tear it down.

However I have an itx system- Ryzen 1600, Asrock b450, GTX 1660 that needs a nice case and will likely go into a SM550 in the near future.
Ahah I understand....maybe for your build inside Cerberus-x..:)
Good choice for sm550, great case!

Reactions: rfarmer

threestripevida

Airflow Optimizer
Mar 28, 2017
I got my 645lt in today and got it installed already. Don’t have much time to run a lot of benchmarks, but I did two runs of Cinebench r20 and I got max 72c between both runs. I’m using a 2700 overclocked to 4ghz at 1.3v. I am using the thicker 92mm fan and not the slim one the 645lt came with. Pretty happy with it so far and I think my build looks better as well.

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Apr 1, 2016
I got my 645lt in today and got it installed already. Don’t have much time to run a lot of benchmarks, but I did two runs of Cinebench r20 and I got max 72c between both runs. I’m using a 2700 overclocked to 4ghz at 1.3v. I am using the thicker 92mm fan and not the slim one the 645lt came with. Pretty happy with it so far and I think my build looks better as well.

Welcome to 92mm watercooling owners!

I'm pleased you got good cpu temperature. What about GPU (noise) temperature with this new setup? This should the big improvement..:)
What type of side panel are you using?

Also please make sure that 645LT tubing are not touching gpu backplate. Let's call it : improve tubing management..:D

threestripevida

Airflow Optimizer
Mar 28, 2017
The tubing is touching the very edge of the backplate, but I’ll make sure to fix it so that it isn’t after I get out of class. I was expecting a bit more flexibility with the tubing and was cautious about putting too much strain on them. I am using a window panel. No GPU testing yet since I did not have time yesterday, but I will be playing tonight and will keep an eye on thermals and let you know how it goes.

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Apr 1, 2016
The tubing is touching the very edge of the backplate, but I’ll make sure to fix it so that it isn’t after I get out of class. I was expecting a bit more flexibility with the tubing and was cautious about putting too much strain on them. I am using a window panel. No GPU testing yet since I did not have time yesterday, but I will be playing tonight and will keep an eye on thermals and let you know how it goes.
You can definitely play with 645LT tubing, pretty flexible, compared to customed watercooling (AIO fittings are stronger).
As long you are NOT heating too much tubing, it's fine.

Eager to see your GPU thermals & noise feedback..:D