GPU Small graphics card for 4K and DisplayPort, not necessarily fast

Sanders

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Aug 19, 2017
I am looking for a graphics card to my 7890XE+AsRock X299E-ITX/AC build and I foresee limitations in space and current input/heat output. Has anybody any suggestion? The build is not for gaming so graphic speed is not important. Maybe I will have to do with 1920x1080.

reasons4reasons

Trash Compacter
Jul 9, 2017
You might try the Quadro P400 if you have around $130 to spend. It's a single-slot low-profile card so size shouldn't be a concern, and it's a 30 watt card so it should be relatively cool. The specs say it's capable of driving a single 5K monitor at 60 Hz or three 4K monitors at 60 Hz, and it has three mini DisplayPort connectors. Not super powerful, but it should suit your needs just fine.

Sanders

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Aug 19, 2017
Thanks r-4-r. To A-K: NCASE last version, PSU and cooling not yet decided. I any case, a few extra bucks for a good slim graphics card is no problem considering the cost for 7980XE (not 7890XE as I wrote above).

Thestarkiller32

Cable-Tie Ninja
Aug 13, 2017
Thanks r-4-r. To A-K: NCASE last version, PSU and cooling not yet decided. I any case, a few extra bucks for a good slim graphics card is no problem considering the cost for 7980XE (not 7890XE as I wrote above).
if that's the case then get the Corsair SF600 and any dual-slot, Dual-Fan GPU that you want.

AleksandarK

/dev/null
May 14, 2017
Any card will do, but i have a few reccomendations.

GTX: 1050, 1050 TI
Quadro: P2000, because other models have a low profile bracket, which will not be able to screw in NCASE, but if you dont mind it, than P400 or P600 will do it.
RX:550, 560
Radeon Pro:WX 4100 or WX5100

Last edited:

reasons4reasons

Trash Compacter
Jul 9, 2017
The low-profile pascal Quadros do include a full-height PCIe bracket in the box. You'll just have to swap it out.

One other comment: Workstation cards are a really great investment if you prize DisplayPorts over graphics power. There aren't really any other cards below $200 that have more than one DisplayPort output, but you end up paying GTX 1050 TI or RX 560 money for a card with the fraction of the power. If you think you're only ever going to need one DisplayPort, a consumer card is almost always the better choice unless you have size or severe heat or power constraints. You shouldn't have either in the M1 with the kind of PSUs you should be looking at.

tl;dr: Unless you need more than one DisplayPort, you should probably get a low-end consumer card.

Last edited:
Reactions: AleksandarK

Sanders

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Aug 19, 2017
I will have a look at the Corsair SF600, which looked very solid at first read through. Regarding the graphics card, thanks for the suggestions. If cooling problems is suspected for the CPU, should one have a low wattage graphics card with a small fan or a higher wattage card with larger fan(s), a larger heat dissipation but more (positive) influence on the interior heat distribution?

Thestarkiller32

Cable-Tie Ninja
Aug 13, 2017
I will have a look at the Corsair SF600, which looked very solid at first read through. Regarding the graphics card, thanks for the suggestions. If cooling problems is suspected for the CPU, should one have a low wattage graphics card with a small fan or a higher wattage card with larger fan(s), a larger heat dissipation but more (positive) influence on the interior heat distribution?
if heat is your Problem, then stick to a Rear-exhaust style cooler or consider Water-Cooling...

Sanders

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Aug 19, 2017
Thanks T-2: The Takana seems to what I was hoping to find if space matters in addition to heat dissipation! Great!

jtd871

SFF Guru
Jun 22, 2015
The Katana does not exhaust out the PCIe I/O plate - it exhausts out the top surface of the cooler.

GuilleAcoustic

Chief Procrastination Officer
SFFn Staff
LOSIAS
Jun 29, 2015
guilleacoustic.wordpress.com
What about a GT1030 if you do not need huge 3D performance ? It is inexpensive, draws low power (30W) and supports HDMI 2.1 / DP 1.3 / DP 1.4 / HECV. It is available in low profile, single slot, active, passive, etc.

Sanders

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Aug 19, 2017
GT1030 seems to be a better match to the anticipated heat balance problem in the NCASE chassis and 7980XE . Great! Low price doesn't hurt either...