Should I go for an NFC case or find something else? :)

BobGarn

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Feb 6, 2018
So I'm new here and I apologize for asking questions that has already been asked and for any dumb questions ;)

I'm looking to build a gaming rig for my teenagesons (and for myself) that is lightweigt and easy to carry around, preferably in a backpack.

I've seen the NFC Skyreach 4 Mini and it looks awesome. But how much work would I be in for?
I don't mind putting together a rig, but I don't have the time to be modding it and all that.

Should I be looking at other cases, perhaps?

I guess, I need something like the HDPLEX 400W HiFi DC-ATX and then a laptop power supply correct?

Anything else I'm missing?

I'm in Europe so does that mean delivery costs will be too high? (specifically Denmark here, so if I import from outside Europe it can only cost around €10.74 before customs add a ton of fees and whatnot)

/Henrik

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
The NFC is amazing and second to none for portability without sacrificing power. My question to you would be how powerful do you want these systems to be. If you can get away with an i5 and 1060, a brickless build would likely be the best choice. If not, then you're looking at taking a brick (likely a dell 300W) with you from place to place. Not a huge consideration, but would definitely help me advise you on what would be best to buy.

AleksandarK

/dev/null
May 14, 2017
I agree with @Kmpkt ,

NFC cases are amazing, and worth buying. When i decide to do a build, i would definitely go with it!

As far as shipping cost, i believe that cases are delivered from Taiwan, if that helps. But you should PM @Josh | NFC with details of your location. He will answer that one.

BobGarn

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Feb 6, 2018
Thank you for all your feedback and questions!

It's not going to be a powerful gaming rig, it's just going to be able to play some basic games. So an i5 or a Ryzen and a 1060 or lower should be plenty.
It sounds like there wont be any kind of modding needed if I go for basic parts?

Thanks @AleksandarK I'll get in touch with Josh from NFC :)

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
I would strongly suggest getting a 65W i5, GTX 1060 and running an HDPlex 160W AC-DC unit with your choice of the KMPKT Dynamo Mini or HDPlex 160W DC-ATX (same unit, only aesthetic differences). Provided you choose a GTX 1060 card of stock height (111.15mm), there are mounting points on the bottom of the case to screw in your plugless DC power supply of choice. This means no packing around an external brick and more than enough power to handle the bulk of games on very reasonable settings.

Reactions: Biowarejak

BobGarn

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Feb 6, 2018
Hi again folks :) Sorry for having been away for so long, just got super busy.

So, after much consideration I ended up going with the Chieftec IX-03B-OP and a 120 watt PSU they have.
It was a matter of import regulations in Denmark and I decided it would be too expensive and maybe just too much hassle to go with some of the other (and much nicer) cases out there :)

Thanks to all for your thoughts and ideas.

Best
Henrik