Advice Sliger SM560 or SM620 for 5800X3D

schubdog

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
May 22, 2022
Hello Lads,

this is the newbie speaking. After years of building always Fractal Define it's time for my first SFF rig. First i wanted to go with the LianLi Q58 but as i prefer air cooling i finally decided to move over to Sliger. I already got most of the components, only case and CPU are missing. For the PSU i want to order custom cables at BigRay

At the moment this is my build config:

• Asus Rog Strix B550-I Gaming
  • AMD Radeon 6800 XT Reference
  • Corsair Vengeance RGB RT Gunmetal DIMM Kit 32GB DDR 4-3600
  • HP EX900 NVMe 500 GB
  • Kingston KC2500 NVMe 2 TB
  • Sandisk Ultra 500 GB SSD
  • Cooler Master V850 SFX Black
  • CPU
    • AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D
    • AMD Ryzen 7 5700X
  • Case
    • Sliger SM560 White
      • Cooling: Noctua NH-L9a with FanDuct
    • Sliger SM620 White
      • Noctua NH-U14S
      • Noctua NH-D15S

Personally i prefer the SM560 over the SM620, but im worried in terms of temperatures and noise if th SM560 can handle the 5800X3D. My plan would be to UV the 5800X3D and work with the Noctua Fan duct or even going for the smaller CPU.

So what do you think ? Will the SM560 config work out or should i play it save and go for the SM620 ? I've already checked @MarcParis Build logs and the SM620 should be fine, but how about the SM560 ?

Appreciate every idea and suggestion. Will then later if wanted post the build log :-)

br

Schubdog

Arboreal

King of Cable Management
Silver Supporter
Oct 11, 2015
Have a look at the undervolting work going on for the R7 5800X3D, that may help tame it.

You'll definitely need vented sides not a window on the 560 IMHO.

I don't know the 560 and 620 in detail, but have been really pleased with my S610 (narrower 620) having moved from an NCase M1.
The 610 works well with the handle for me, but is heavier and chunkier than the M1 in build

Reactions: schubdog and Mark13

schubdog

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
May 22, 2022
Have a look at the undervolting work going on for the R7 5800X3D, that may help tame it.

You'll definitely need vented sides not a window on the 560 IMHO.

I don't know the 560 and 620 in detail, but have been really pleased with my S610 (narrower 620) having moved from an NCase M1.
The 610 works well with the handle for me, but is heavier and chunkier than the M1 in build
Just from the look with the 560 i would definitly go with the vented sides. Also thought about going with the 5600X as the gaming performance is egal to the normal 5800X, but still in fear of high fan noise levels and nasty temps. WIth the 620 i know it will work but the size of 560 ist just soooo nice

Reactions: Arboreal

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
Thanks for the summon..:)

Regarding your setup, I'll definitely support SM620 case.
SM560 has 2000 main issues (knowing I enjoy a lot my experience on SM550) :
  • Reason 1 : Lack of compatibility with passthrough GPU
  • Reasons from 2 to 2000 : GPU Riser!
Personnaly I've made up my mind to get rid of all riser due to lack of compatibility, instability, convenience in general.

Personnally SM620 represents currently the best compromise on ITX world.

My only concern on SM620 is about ITX MB themselves as Z690 ITX MBs were simply terrible. I'm even wondering to move away from ITX MB if Z690 situation is also happening on AM5 ITX MB.

thelaughingman

SFF Guru
Jul 14, 2018
Personnaly I've made up my mind to get rid of all riser due to lack of compatibility, instability, convenience in general.
Truth!

Right now it's just PCIE gen 3 vs. gen 4. Imagine in 1-2 GPU gens from now everyone will move to PCIE gen 5... and the trouble starts to multiply like bunnies LOL

Reactions: MarcParis

schubdog

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
May 22, 2022
Hey Guys,

still undecided what to do. In reddit i see a lot of ppl having high temps on the GPU with the S620 while the CPU get's hot in the SM560.

Also i see for the S620 the majority goes for rear intake with beefy Noctua NH12A or D15S. WIth the 620 i would go with no rear fan, Deepcool AS500 Plus as CPU Fan exhaust and then 1x Side intake or 1X Top Fan intake and two slim ones bottom intake. But not sure if this will cause A. turbulence at the GPU and B. if it will be really cool and quite.

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
Hey Guys,

still undecided what to do. In reddit i see a lot of ppl having high temps on the GPU with the S620 while the CPU get's hot in the SM560.

Also i see for the S620 the majority goes for rear intake with beefy Noctua NH12A or D15S. WIth the 620 i would go with no rear fan, Deepcool AS500 Plus as CPU Fan exhaust and then 1x Side intake or 1X Top Fan intake and two slim ones bottom intake. But not sure if this will cause A. turbulence at the GPU and B. if it will be really cool and quite.
Well, based on my S620 & Cerberus-X, no issue on GPU thermals...you can cool it very efficiently.
Key to cool GPU is to focus your airflow on exhausting GPU hot air.
  • With passthrough GPU (ie my RTX 3090), rear intake with tower cpu cooler and side exhaust (1000rpm in load) is really effective on both components
  • With plain gpu backplate type (like my GTX 1080Ti)...well same setup is working well also..:)
My only advice is to not mount rear fan on case. It tends to vibrate and create unpleasant noise. Thus NH-U12A should be best overall cpu cooler for S620...if needed..:)

At last, SM560, like SM550 are very good with 65W CPU. CPU cooling, even with 645LT 92mm watercooling remains limited. On top of that SM560 is bad with passthrough GPU.

To conclude :
  • S620 : Best SFF case to fit almost all very power hungry components in very efficient & cool way, but tends to be on bigger side of SFF world. (no riser issue). Can stand vertically or horizontally (top panel could be put on bottom)
  • SM560 : Very good cooling on GPU (with plain backplate), but mediocre CPU cooling. Rely on unfuture proof riser and is only slightly smaller than S620
To be honest, except if you have a very specific need for SM560, S620 is vastly superior to it.

Please let's keep us posted!

Reactions: Mark13 and rfarmer

Draco25240

Efficiency Noob
Apr 26, 2022
I'm running my 5800X3D in a Sliger SM550 under a fan-swapped Black Ridge (47mm, slightly better than L9a) using the same Asus B550-I motherboard as you, and it's doing just fine temperature-wise after a bit of tweaking the PBO settings in BIOS (possible on Asus and Gigabyte boards), so CPU thermals shouldn't be an issue in an SM560 if you play a bit with the PBO.

On Asus boards, PBO settings in BIOS for 5800X3D can be found under Advanced > AMD CBS > NBIO Common Options > XFR Enhancement > Precision Boost Overdrive, then set it to Manual.

I made two comments detailing my testing with it here and here. In a nutshell, you can make it run fairly well even with low-profile coolers.
  • Match the settings of a 5600X (88W PPT, 60A TDC, 90A EDC), and it doesn't even break 75 C in multicore Cinebench, but you're looking at about 90.5% of stock score there (although I don't think Cinebench benefits from extra cache, so actual performance hit is probably less)
  • Best I could manage with comfortable temps was 120W PPT, 70 TDC, 105 EDC, which maxed out at 82 C with 95.5% of stock score
  • Using the PBO2 Tuner tool from overclock.net, I'm now getting 99% of stock score and maxing out at 82.5 C when setting it to -20 on all cores and using PBO values of 120 PPT, 75 TDC and 110 EDC. Not bad at all for a 47mm cooler. Might be able to hit stock score with a bit of raising the values, but I haven't bothered with that yet.
Someone else on the thread also ran it under a Noctua L9a like you're looking at, and got about the same results, but 2-4 C hotter; it's the comment above the second one I linked.

I'm happy to answer any question you might have.

-----

Also, just a heads up if you end up deciding to go with the SM560. Make sure you either get the PCIE 4.0 riser, or do your first boot outside the case with the GPU slotted directly into the motherboard. The default PCIE 3.0 riser won't work unless you change PCIE version to 3.0 in BIOS first, and since 5800X3D doesn't have an integrated graphics, you'll have to boot with the GPU slotted once first to change that.

Reactions: m.trix

schubdog

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
May 22, 2022
OMG...was just about to order the case when i saw your post. Looks very promising. I still tend to the Noctua, as i hope the fan duct will hopefully be as effective as i read in reddit. How about the noise ? i guess in Idle it will be dead silent but while gaming what would you say ?

Reactions: m.trix

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
OMG...was just about to order the case when i saw your post. Looks very promising. I still tend to the Noctua, as i hope the fan duct will hopefully be as effective as i read in reddit. How about the noise ? i guess in Idle it will be dead silent but while gaming what would you say ?
Based on my IS-60 EVO (close design to black ridge) experience in CL-530, having a slim 92mm (noctua) below heatsink (intake) is simply horrible in terms of acoustics.
While using SM550, it is way better to use (for acoustics) NH-L9a with fanduct or IS-60 with 120mm slim fan/flat screw/panel offset mod.
If not already done, please check my log for SM550, you will find good examples how to cool cpu in it :
https://smallformfactor.net/forum/threads/sliger-sm550-compact-quiet-gaming-htpc.11928/

Last edited:

Draco25240

Efficiency Noob
Apr 26, 2022
L9a with a fan duct should serve you well, at worst you'll be just a few degrees warmer. I'd say go for that :)

Noise on the Black Ridge is... Hm... It's not enough to bother me, but I use headphones most of the time anyways. Without it, I'm definitely noticing some sounds, a slowly pulsating hum even in idle. Considering it happens even with the side panel off, it's probably caused by turbulence from having the fan underneath the heat sink rather than above it. I'd stick to the L9a if you want dead silent, like MarcParis suggests.

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
L9a with a fan duct should serve you well, at worst you'll be just a few degrees warmer. I'd say go for that :)

Noise on the Black Ridge is... Hm... It's not enough to bother me, but I use headphones most of the time anyways. Without it, I'm definitely noticing some sounds, a slowly pulsating hum even in idle. Considering it happens even with the side panel off, it's probably caused by turbulence from having the fan underneath the heat sink rather than above it. I'd stick to the L9a if you want dead silent, like MarcParis suggests.
Lol I guess we are little help @schubdog as we are debating between 2 good cases..;)
Only personal use & inspiration could help to pick up best suited one..:)

Draco25240

Efficiency Noob
Apr 26, 2022
Yeah. SM560 and S620 are both solid cases with their own pros and cons, and either will serve you well. Go with whichever you'd prefer :)
I just wanted to throw in my personal experience to confirm that the SM560 with L9a can in fact handle the 5800X3D with a bit of PBO or/and CO via PBO2 Tuner.

Last edited:

schubdog

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
May 22, 2022
Hey Guys,

your coments help me a lot ! As said before i tend to the SM560 and don't mind undervolting etc. I really love the look and the size, but it will be on my desk and i do not like to work or play with headsets, so i also want to have a very silent build. From what i've heard and read the SM560 will be dead silent while gaming but under load it could get pretty noise. So i've checked the S620. The size is still okay, but i don't like to you rear intake etc.. because of aestatics. As both cases are only on backorder it's difficult as i cannot order both and then return the unwanted case. This is why i need as much input as possible :-)

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
Hey Guys,

your coments help me a lot ! As said before i tend to the SM560 and don't mind undervolting etc. I really love the look and the size, but it will be on my desk and i do not like to work or play with headsets, so i also want to have a very silent build. From what i've heard and read the SM560 will be dead silent while gaming but under load it could get pretty noise. So i've checked the S620. The size is still okay, but i don't like to you rear intake etc.. because of aestatics. As both cases are only on backorder it's difficult as i cannot order both and then return the unwanted case. This is why i need as much input as possible :-)
Well I would add that SM560 (as S620) on GPU cooling is really good. In any case, you can tame GPU by undervolting it (without any performance loss).
To be honest, no issue to have quiet SM560 even in load..:)

schubdog

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
May 22, 2022
Finally, decision is taken. Ordered all the needed parts and it will be the SM560. Yesterday i was able to get a hand on a 5800X for 249,00 € in new condition so i decided to go with this CPU.

Final Build will be:

• HP EX900 NVMe 500 GB
  • Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 2 TB
  • Cooler Master V850 SFX Black with Noctua FAN Mod + Custom Cables by BigRay
  • AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
  • Sliger SM 560 White with Black Handle and both sides Vented
    • Nocuta NH L9a with FanDuct and Noctua NF-A9 25mm cooler
    • 2x Noctua NF-A12x25 PWM
Now it's time to wait...will be harsh 6 weeks :-)

Reactions: MarcParis

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
Finally, decision is taken. Ordered all the needed parts and it will be the SM560. Yesterday i was able to get a hand on a 5800X for 249,00 € in new condition so i decided to go with this CPU.

Final Build will be:

• HP EX900 NVMe 500 GB
  • Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 2 TB
  • Cooler Master V850 SFX Black with Noctua FAN Mod + Custom Cables by BigRay
  • AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
  • Sliger SM 560 White with Black Handle and both sides Vented
    • Nocuta NH L9a with FanDuct and Noctua NF-A9 25mm cooler
    • 2x Noctua NF-A12x25 PWM
Now it's time to wait...will be harsh 6 weeks :-)
Great choice..:) Keep us posted! It should be all good!

One last S620 setup (My pinnacle setup : rear intake, U12A, side exhaust) for the fun :