Completed SLATE-CASE AQ >>Status Update - Finalizing Order Fulfillments!

CH40TIC

Efficiency Noob
Jan 19, 2023
Really Loving this case already. I did, however, scratch it up a little bit. If someone could give me some tips on clearing them up or buffing them out, it would be highly appreciated.

N9neBreak3r

Airflow Optimizer
Jul 17, 2020
Really Loving this case already. I did, however, scratch it up a little bit. If someone could give me some tips on clearing them up or buffing them out, it would be highly appreciated.
AFAIK you cant buff out scratches in anodized aluminum. What I would do is try and find some model making paint that matches the color of the case as closely as possible and lightly cover the scratches if theyre small. If the scratches are really big and deep, you could sandblast, paint and clear coat it or have an automotive body shop do it. Or get it re-anodized or cerakoted.
Again this is just what I would do, if someone else has a better idea and more experience with this please comment.
A little battle damage isnt the end of the world either, it gives your case character. If its not real bad, just leave it as is.

Reactions: XNine

TaylorChiller

Super Magical Detailer
Original poster
Oct 10, 2019
Hey Everyone!

The replacement parts arrives today. So far they look good. We should expect the rest of orders fulfilled next week.

Taylor

diegopx

Cable Smoosher
Sep 24, 2022
AFAIK you cant buff out scratches in anodized aluminum. What I would do is try and find some model making paint that matches the color of the case as closely as possible and lightly cover the scratches if theyre small. If the scratches are really big and deep, you could sandblast, paint and clear coat it or have an automotive body shop do it. Or get it re-anodized or cerakoted.
Again this is just what I would do, if someone else has a better idea and more experience with this please comment.
A little battle damage isnt the end of the world either, it gives your case character. If its not real bad, just leave it as is.

Can confirm that model or automotive paint works wonders. I put in some small scuffs in the top/bottom panels from inserting the front/back radiator panels and used some spare Audi paint that was pretty much a perfect match once buffed in.

The color was Daytona Gray Pearl (LZ7S/6Y) in case it’s useful as reference.

Baka

Average Stuffer
Aug 5, 2022
Oh man. Been waiting for this week for like weeks. Stoked!
excited finding nemo GIF

• Love
Reactions: Pudg333 and vprcre

NRG

Airflow Optimizer
Oct 30, 2015
Is it possible to invert the inner frame? I prefer having the DDC bracket on the bottom for better access and to have the pump facing upright.

NRG

Airflow Optimizer
Oct 30, 2015
Aww yeah! We back in business!! I built a bracket out of an old HP computer chassis that will allow me to mount a different pcie riser in slate case!! My rooms a freakin mess from this lol.

Thanks Taylor! Yeah I realized that when I plugged my 3090 FE into it and it booted fine. The riser you shipped works perfectly at gen 4 speeds with my 3090 FE. Its just my 4090 strix that is very picky about which risers it wants to play with, unfortunately haha.

Edit:
One more pic, gonna paint my bracket I made black:
Is this the only way to use an alternative riser? The stock bracket can’t be moved to accommodate others? Tried searching for the answer but seems like I’m stuck with the stock type riser/mounting yes?

TaylorChiller

Super Magical Detailer
Original poster
Oct 10, 2019
Is this the only way to use an alternative riser? The stock bracket can’t be moved to accommodate others? Tried searching for the answer but seems like I’m stuck with the stock type riser/mounting yes?
I can help answer your question better if you can explain what you would like to accomplish. If you're asking if there are alternative riser cables you can use, there are some from Linkup Cables, but it needs to be one that is angled like the stock one.

N9neBreak3r made his own bracket becuase he wanted to use a cable that didn't have the same angled connector.

Reactions: N9neBreak3r

NRG

Airflow Optimizer
Oct 30, 2015
I can help answer your question better if you can explain what you would like to accomplish. If you're asking if there are alternative riser cables you can use, there are some from Linkup Cables, but it needs to be one that is angled like the stock one.

N9neBreak3r made his own bracket becuase he wanted to use a cable that didn't have the same angled connector.
I have the same cobalt riser that I wanted to use as I’ve found it to be the most reliable riser out of all that’s I’ve used. It would appear that I’m in a similar predicament with the riser not working with my 4090 that was working just hours before on the cobalt riser on my T1. Looks like I’m draining everything and testing to see if it’s the riser, RIP.

Edit: I just janked in my cobalt riser and it works just fine. So the supplied riser is not compatible for whatever reason.

Edit2: Would you mind sharing the CAD of the adjustable tray with PCIE bracket so I can model an adapter to 3D print?

Last edited:

TaylorChiller

Super Magical Detailer
Original poster
Oct 10, 2019
I have the same cobalt riser that I wanted to use as I’ve found it to be the most reliable riser out of all that’s I’ve used. It would appear that I’m in a similar predicament with the riser not working with my 4090 that was working just hours before on the cobalt riser on my T1. Looks like I’m draining everything and testing to see if it’s the riser, RIP.

Edit: I just janked in my cobalt riser and it works just fine. So the supplied riser is not compatible for whatever reason.

Edit2: Would you mind sharing the CAD of the adjustable tray with PCIE bracket so I can model an adapter to 3D print?
Yeah I can help you with this. Can you email the support email from Protolyth.com?

Also, which model of the 4090 do you have?

N9neBreak3r

Airflow Optimizer
Jul 17, 2020
Any chance you could share your bracket file with me after you design it? 😇
So your 4090 doesnt want to work with the stock riser either? Mine also wouldnt work with the riser that comes with the lianli o11 mini (which mounts the same way as the slate case riser). My guess is that any riser that mounts in that style wont be compatible. I think it comes down to the thickness of the pcie fingers on our 4090s. The louqe riser has a real tight fit and allows good connection.
If you need any help with making your bracket just lmk. The biggest challenge for me was getting the z height correct. Took a few attempts but I got it right and its been working great!

Reactions: XNine

NRG

Airflow Optimizer
Oct 30, 2015
Any chance you could share your bracket file with me after you design it? 😇
So your 4090 doesnt want to work with the stock riser either? Mine also wouldnt work with the riser that comes with the lianli o11 mini (which mounts the same way as the slate case riser). My guess is that any riser that mounts in that style wont be compatible. I think it comes down to the thickness of the pcie fingers on our 4090s. The louqe riser has a real tight fit and allows good connection.
If you need any help with making your bracket just lmk. The biggest challenge for me was getting the z height correct. Took a few attempts but I got it right and its been working great!

Definitely! Nope, wouldn't give me anything. Cleared CMOS, Set it to Gen4 and Gen3 respectively, triple checked it was seated correctly. Nothing.

Should be an exact drop in replacement. I've modelled it from the CAD (my riser cable CAD was off so revision 2 is printing atm) so it's going to be at the exact height as the stock riser. I'll pull stuff apart tomorrow and test fit it once I have validated the dimensional accuracy of the rev2. I'll keep you posted.

Edit: Rev2 aligns properly. Should have it in tomorrow.

Edit2: Rev2 didn't align properly :/ Rev3 printing now.

Last edited:

TaylorChiller

Super Magical Detailer
Original poster
Oct 10, 2019
Hey Everyone,

Quick update and notice here. Unfortunately one of our workers was ill this week and we fell behind schedule. Some of us are going to work over this weekend so the remaining orders can ship next Monday.

On another note, even though we had to re-order parts for the delayed orders and they came out much better than the first batch, the factory made a slight mistake when securing the perforated panels during anodization. There may be a minor mark on the edge of the panel. We won't make any more delays. Instead, we will issue a 10% refund to any of the affected orders, (the refund will be placed the same time we send out the tracking number).

We are sorry for the inconvenience this may cause for some of you.

Best Regards,

Taylor, Protolyth LLC

Edit/update photo:
Screenshot_20230127-184929.png
Screenshot_20230127-184853.png

Last edited:

N9neBreak3r

Airflow Optimizer
Jul 17, 2020
Animated GIF

Fits and pc is happily working :)

Just uploading .stl's to my etsy store.

JK

Hell yeah! Great work! Much more elegant looking than my approach lol.
Im sure youve noticed that using this style of riser takes away some space that could be devoted to radiator or fan placement. Its probably why @TaylorChiller went with the angled style that ships stock.

NRG

Airflow Optimizer
Oct 30, 2015
Hell yeah! Great work! Much more elegant looking than my approach lol.
Im sure youve noticed that using this style of riser takes away some space that could be devoted to radiator or fan placement. Its probably why @TaylorChiller went with the angled style that ships stock.
Yeah look, love the jank but ain’t not cut side panel going in my case 😂

assuming you use 20mm 280’s and 25mm fans you don’t really lose anything. I had to shift it 2mm left to accommodate the change but still have clearance either side.