Completed SLATE-CASE AQ >>Status Update - Finalizing Order Fulfillments!

vprcre

Chassis Packer
Nov 23, 2022
Has anybody hashed out whether it's possible to do a straight run from a 3080FE block (out the top/back of the card) into an FLT80 or R160? My initial thoughts are that aligning them depth-wise will be the limiting factor, especially with the FLT80 being too thick to shift back and forth and the GPU only able to shift as much as the GPUGap mod allows.

XNine

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jan 11, 2022
Has anybody hashed out whether it's possible to do a straight run from a 3080FE block (out the top/back of the card) into an FLT80 or R160? My initial thoughts are that aligning them depth-wise will be the limiting factor, especially with the FLT80 being too thick to shift back and forth and the GPU only able to shift as much as the GPUGap mod allows.
Yes, you can, but you need to create your own mount(s) for the FLT80 as it will hang a bit below the PSU cage (where you would mount the bracket). The OEM brackets are too thick anyway and will push the res out to so you can't fit a side panel on. You could probably get away with 1 or 2 VERY thin pieces of steel and mount them on the PSU chamber, then do what I did and use 1/2 inch aluminum spacers and washers and use the stock screws. Go from inside the PSU chamber, through the mounts, place the spacers on the screws, then a washer and into the reservoir.

You will have to go with the DDC version or use the mod that was posted a page back.

vprcre

Chassis Packer
Nov 23, 2022
I have a 3D printer so that bracket CAD file might come in super handy; otherwise I don't see a point in mounting a DDC to the FLT80 when the R160 is more manageable.

I should clarify that I meant I wanted a dead-straight, completely vertical hardline run between the two without any adapters, which means that a FLT80 mounted right up against the glass needs to have its inlet/outlet ports directly above the GPU's (which in this case will need to be installed with the gap mod). No way of knowing if that lines up until I get my case which is why I wanted to ask around 🙂

Baka

Average Stuffer
Aug 5, 2022
I have a 3D printer so that bracket CAD file might come in super handy; otherwise I don't see a point in mounting a DDC to the FLT80 when the R160 is more manageable.

I should clarify that I meant I wanted a dead-straight, completely vertical hardline run between the two without any adapters, which means that a FLT80 mounted right up against the glass needs to have its inlet/outlet ports directly above the GPU's (which in this case will need to be installed with the gap mod). No way of knowing if that lines up until I get my case which is why I wanted to ask around 🙂
I think you should be okay with that setup if you use micro fittings. We have 327mm to work with and I've seen that setup in a Dan A4-H20 which is a mm shorter. 220mm for the block + 80mm for the FLT + 21mm for the fitting. But..I may be completely wrong as I also do not have a case yet either 😅

Reactions: vprcre

diegopx

Cable Smoosher
Sep 24, 2022

I had a janky attempt at something like this in my build. You can attach the FLT80 to the SSD rail mount which allows you to shift it forward and backwards in those slots.

I came out of the GPU top facing holes using a degree 90 micro adapter and up to the reservoir bottom.

It was way too tight to run a bit of tubing, but I was able to use a few extenders and a male to male rotary adapter to make the connection.

My FLT80 also had the metal DDC heatsink, so I imagine you’ll have more space to push it back with the standard housing.

EDIT: It turns out I did actually take a photo of this.

Last edited:

N9neBreak3r

Airflow Optimizer
Jul 17, 2020
Having riser cable problems! Oh boy do I love riser cables! /s Had this same problem with my 4090 strix in my temporary air cooled build I did (while waiting for my waterblock) in an o11 mini. This card is really finicky with fully seating in certain risers. Got her running with my louqe twin ax riser so at least I know what the problem is. This is why we love sff though, right? That feeling when it all finally works out makes it worth it. Gotta go finish up this open heart surgery now.

N9neBreak3r

Airflow Optimizer
Jul 17, 2020
@TaylorChiller the riser shipped with the slate case is a gen 4 right? Im pretty sure it is going by the markings on it but want to ask just to be certain.
Nvm it is for sure Gen 4, it posts no problem with my 3090.

Adding to this post:

For anyone with a 4090 strix, the riser cable that comes with the slate case will either not work or work sporadically. Ive been troubleshooting all day and I have narrowed the reason for this down to two things:
1 - The strix 4090 has too loose of a fit in the slate case riser cable. It is NOT a problem with the slate case riser! My 3090 FE fits in the riser and boots fine 100% of the time. It is a problem with the strix 4090. I had a similar problem with a lian li o11 mini gen 4 riser cable. Both that cable and the slate cable are of a similar design and style. I can successfully boot the 4090 strix with it directly in the motherboard and with the louqe twin ax gen 4 riser cable.
2 - This applies to anyone using the ekwb active backplate waterblocks. The way that the slate case riser cable is routed through its bracket makes the cable push on the base of the active backplate (directly above the pcie fingers) and prevents a perfectly straight seating of the gpu. Im not sure if this would prevent booting, since the other problem I have prevents testing this, but it is something I noticed.

Im going to attempt to build a bracket that will allow me to install my other riser cable onto the slate case.

Last edited:

N9neBreak3r

Airflow Optimizer
Jul 17, 2020
I've had zero issue with my 3080 FE with the riser, either. Does the riser work with your card OUTSIDE of the case, @N9neBreak3r ?
Doesnt work outside of the case either. I tried everything lol spent the whole day on it. I had the 4090 upside down outside of the case with the riser plugged into it and still no go. But the riser works fine on my 3090 FE. Its a very niche thing with my card I guess. I would love it if someone else with a 4090 or 4080 strix and this case could let me know if it works or not for them.

Reactions: TaylorChiller

6ixty9ine

Caliper Novice
Feb 13, 2020
Having riser cable problems! Oh boy do I love riser cables! /s Had this same problem with my 4090 strix in my temporary air cooled build I did (while waiting for my waterblock) in an o11 mini. This card is really finicky with fully seating in certain risers. Got her running with my louqe twin ax riser so at least I know what the problem is. This is why we love sff though, right? That feeling when it all finally works out makes it worth it. Gotta go finish up this open heart surgery now.

IDK how you're managing to fit stock SX-1000 cables in there - i'm resorting to doing 90 degree bends at the base of the cables to prevent it hitting the fan blades and stuffing the resulting mess into the GPU side. unfortunately that also means i don't have space to mount 92mm fans on the GPU side as originally planned.

Reactions: N9neBreak3r

N9neBreak3r

Airflow Optimizer
Jul 17, 2020
IDK how you're managing to fit stock SX-1000 cables in there - i'm resorting to doing 90 degree bends at the base of the cables to prevent it hitting the fan blades and stuffing the resulting mess into the GPU side. unfortunately that also means i don't have space to mount 92mm fans on the GPU side as originally planned.
It was hard (even harder having to tare the whole thing apart after all the work). Reason I got away with it is I have both of my rads as outs and the fans are isolated from cables by the radiators. But yeah im going to get custom cables real soon.

Reactions: NinoPecorino

XNine

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jan 11, 2022
Doesnt work outside of the case either. I tried everything lol spent the whole day on it. I had the 4090 upside down outside of the case with the riser plugged into it and still no go. But the riser works fine on my 3090 FE. Its a very niche thing with my card I guess. I would love it if someone else with a 4090 or 4080 strix and this case could let me know if it works or not for them.
Damn, was hoping it had something to do with the angle that the riser bends at. I'm sorry, that sucks. I'm pretty sure they're the good ol Linkup cables, too. Wonder if they know what the issue might be?

TaylorChiller

Super Magical Detailer
Original poster
Oct 10, 2019
Hey,

Can you send me an email through the protoylth.com support page? I'd be interested to send you another and see if the issue persists. Also these are not cheap cables. And we test every single one of them at the factory and before they get installed into the product. Even, with that though we may not account for every scenario.

Taylor

TaylorChiller

Super Magical Detailer
Original poster
Oct 10, 2019
@TaylorChiller the riser shipped with the slate case is a gen 4 right? Im pretty sure it is going by the markings on it but want to ask just to be certain.
Nvm it is for sure Gen 4, it posts no problem with my 3090.

Adding to this post:

For anyone with a 4090 strix, the riser cable that comes with the slate case will either not work or work sporadically. Ive been troubleshooting all day and I have narrowed the reason for this down to two things:
1 - The strix 4090 has too loose of a fit in the slate case riser cable. It is NOT a problem with the slate case riser! My 3090 FE fits in the riser and boots fine 100% of the time. It is a problem with the strix 4090. I had a similar problem with a lian li o11 mini gen 4 riser cable. Both that cable and the slate cable are of a similar design and style. I can successfully boot the 4090 strix with it directly in the motherboard and with the louqe twin ax gen 4 riser cable.
2 - This applies to anyone using the ekwb active backplate waterblocks. The way that the slate case riser cable is routed through its bracket makes the cable push on the base of the active backplate (directly above the pcie fingers) and prevents a perfectly straight seating of the gpu. Im not sure if this would prevent booting, since the other problem I have prevents testing this, but it is something I noticed.

Im going to attempt to build a bracket that will allow me to install my other riser cable onto the slate case.
Also, yes it is a gen 4 riser. If you bring up GPU-Z software it should show that the data is being transferred at gen 4 speeds.

N9neBreak3r

Airflow Optimizer
Jul 17, 2020
Aww yeah! We back in business!! I built a bracket out of an old HP computer chassis that will allow me to mount a different pcie riser in slate case!! My rooms a freakin mess from this lol.
Also, yes it is a gen 4 riser. If you bring up GPU-Z software it should show that the data is being transferred at gen 4 speeds.
Thanks Taylor! Yeah I realized that when I plugged my 3090 FE into it and it booted fine. The riser you shipped works perfectly at gen 4 speeds with my 3090 FE. Its just my 4090 strix that is very picky about which risers it wants to play with, unfortunately haha.

Edit:
One more pic, gonna paint my bracket I made black:

Last edited:

Helix Exton

Chassis Packer
Mar 1, 2022
Got my build up and running, performing great and nearly silent except under extreme loads. Loved building in the case, very easy to hide cables behind the GPU with the standoff setup. Hardest part was tightening fittings bc I was stupid and didn't do it before I put it all together and I didn't want to dissemble it. Might do custom cables but honestly it looks really good as is with how I was able to hide them and I don't feel like redoing everything now, likely will when I do maintenance.

Overall awesome experience, well worth the wait to build.

EDIT: Images from imgur not working, not sure why, here is the link.

N9neBreak3r

Airflow Optimizer
Jul 17, 2020
Got my build up and running, performing great and nearly silent except under extreme loads. Loved building in the case, very easy to hide cables behind the GPU with the standoff setup. Hardest part was tightening fittings bc I was stupid and didn't do it before I put it all together and I didn't want to dissemble it. Might do custom cables but honestly it looks really good as is with how I was able to hide them and I don't feel like redoing everything now, likely will when I do maintenance.

Overall awesome experience, well worth the wait to build.

EDIT: Images from imgur not working, not sure why, here is the link.
Sick build! Super clean! I love the koolance quick disconnects! Ive got a set I use on my pump/res and the in/out lines from my case. I really want to buy another 4 sets of them so that I can remove the radiators easily for maintenance without having to drain my loop.

Reactions: Helix Exton