Completed SLATE-CASE AQ >>Status Update - Finalizing Order Fulfillments!

vprcre

Chassis Packer
Nov 23, 2022
Nice work! Is the temp sensor mounted to anything?

I also realized that an unforeseen benefit of my delayed case is that I get to see how the 7800X3D performs before buying parts 🙂

TaylorChiller

Super Magical Detailer
Original poster
Oct 10, 2019
Adding some in progress shots of my own here. As others have noted micro 90 degree fittings are your friend here, and every millimeter counts.

After a ton of trial and error, and almost settling on a loop with an FLT80 reservoir at the top, I ended up going with a compact bottom mounted DDC combo. Draining and filling with the FLT was way too involved and the degree of tilting the case around felt like an accident waiting to happen.

Some other notes:

The GPU top seemed to sag outwards in my build, this started happening after I changed the layout to reduce the size of the motherboard half of the case. I ended up fixing this by using a screw to lock the GPU IO plate at the bottom, and a few washers to slightly tilt the PCIe extender bracket to account for the sag.

The space between the radiators and the PSU bracket is very tight once fittings are added, both with the 20mm slims that I ended up with and the original 30mm thick ones that I started off with.

I‘m much happier overall changing my pump res combo and going with the thinner 20mm rads, those two changes made a huge difference and gave me loads of space to work with for tubing and cable management.

Please don’t judge the random clear piece of tubing, I ran out of thick fittings in time for the leak test 😅
Hey so I noticed above your GPU, there is now some open space to potentially use the accessory bracket for additional SSDs? (since you put the pump on the lower location.
1673395193246.png

XNine

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jan 11, 2022
Nice work! Is the temp sensor mounted to anything?

I also realized that an unforeseen benefit of my delayed case is that I get to see how the 7800X3D performs before buying parts 🙂
Nah, just the tubing, though the side panel will push it back just a tiny bit and it'll be sorted by the GPU if there's any sag in it... Unfortunately I worked 13+ hours today, so it's gonna have to wait to get finished up. As the Brits say: " I'm bluh-y knackered"

diegopx

Cable Smoosher
Sep 24, 2022
Hey so I noticed above your GPU, there is now some open space to potentially use the accessory bracket for additional SSDs? (since you put the pump on the lower location.
View attachment 2256
Totally! My build is currently running off M.2 SSDs on the motherboard, mainly for the amount of wiring space that saves. I figured I could use that space for a 4TB SSD down the line if I need more storage.

In the meantime, I think I’ll 3D print a black cover to install on the bracket to hide the rat‘s nest of wires that have accumulated there after completing my build, likely putting in a fan and RGB hub in there.

Stonen

Cable Smoosher
May 13, 2022
Bykski D5 pump/res fits perfectly in 4 slot gpu mode. Unfortunately for me though, if I want to fit it with my strix 4090 EKWB block, Ill have to either take the RGB section off the waterblock, or use a 140mm radiator in place of my 280mm radiator. The waterblock is just too damn long. I might just do an external pump. But for anyone using a founders edition waterblock, or there about that size, this pump would work out:

Is it ok to have a loop with a D5 and DDC? Or will the higher flow rate and pressure from the D5 cause damage to the DDC?
Does this pump fit next to the gpu? Where the ddc pump mount is?

shaggy

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Apr 2, 2020
https://grabcad.com/library/protolyth-slate-case-rail-flt80-1

Made this replacement rail if anyone else can use it feel free. Uses heat set inserts for ends. Fits the FLT80 with D5 pump if you take the bottom off and cut a notch to run the wires out the side of the pump. I have it in with a 4090 (Gigabite Gamming OC) using Bykski block all ekwb fittings everything is fitting so far even with GPU Mod Installed.

diegopx

Cable Smoosher
Sep 24, 2022

Made this replacement rail if anyone else can use it feel free. Uses heat set inserts for ends. Fits the FLT80 with D5 pump if you take the bottom off and cut a notch to run the wires out the side of the pump. I have it in with a 4090 (Gigabite Gamming OC) using Bykski block all ekwb fittings everything is fitting so far even with GPU Mod Installed.

You got a D5 in??? Dang, respect.

On another note, an issue I've found is around MX keycap compatibility in the front IO. I've tried a few so far and found that the round corners of the power button slot interfere with the keycaps. At least with the DSA caps I've tried, they tend to bottom out and get stuck unless I file away a bit of the corners.

I'm got some fancy titanium keys from Zaprisco that have the same issue, and am def not taking a file to those. So, it looks like the plastic IO plate is coming out to create some more room.

Last edited:
Reactions: N9neBreak3r

TaylorChiller

Super Magical Detailer
Original poster
Oct 10, 2019

Always fun to see people make stuff for their builds. Be sure to post pictures when youre done!

N9neBreak3r

Airflow Optimizer
Jul 17, 2020

You gotta post a picture of this!! Are you still able to run dual 280 radiators?

vprcre

Chassis Packer
Nov 23, 2022
Love seeing all the unique builds people are coming up with...having some breathing room in the case does wonders for creativity! What fans are those?

Baka

Average Stuffer
Aug 5, 2022
Love seeing all the unique builds people are coming up with...having some breathing room in the case does wonders for creativity! What fans are those?
Lian Li Uni SL140s. I hear the new versions are better with the wiring being more recessed, but this is what happens when I start hoarding parts 8 months prior to delivery 🤦‍♂️

Reactions: vprcre

XNine

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jan 11, 2022
You gotta post a picture of this!! Are you still able to run dual 280 radiators?
Looks like a couple of photos are posted on the project site for it. It's an awesome little mod. Looks like it limits the space for any SSDs to be used, but lots of people don't use those anyway. Unfortunately I do, but it's all good. Different strokes for different folks.

N9neBreak3r

Airflow Optimizer
Jul 17, 2020
Looks like a couple of photos are posted on the project site for it. It's an awesome little mod. Looks like it limits the space for any SSDs to be used, but lots of people don't use those anyway. Unfortunately I do, but it's all good. Different strokes for different folks.
Good call, just checked em out! Even with this mod It still wouldnt fit with my strix block unfortunately 😞. The block hes using is 233mm long and mine is 260mm. Im still thinking about taking the rgb off my block to make mounting a pump viable.

XNine

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jan 11, 2022
Good call, just checked em out! Even with this mod It still wouldnt fit with my strix block unfortunately 😞. The block hes using is 233mm long and mine is 260mm. Im still thinking about taking the rgb off my block to make mounting a pump viable.
Hmmmm, have you looked at the Lobo pump/block combos? Dunno how you feel about that, but it's a possible answer. Damn, that's a pretty big block. my 3080FE is something like 205mm....

6ixty9ine

Caliper Novice
Feb 13, 2020
Hmmmm, have you looked at the Lobo pump/block combos? Dunno how you feel about that, but it's a possible answer. Damn, that's a pretty big block. my 3080FE is something like 205mm....
I'm using the Lobo with a Barrow DDC copy, works great.

Cody K

Cable Smoosher
Nov 10, 2022
Oh man can't wait! Longest 2 weeks ever for sures...I've been sitting on this monstrosity for days hoping it'll fit

What bracket is attached to those Lian Li's? It's giving me an idea for an extra SSD mount in the extra space by the GPU.