Silverstone Raven RVZ03 and mATX

IgnisMagister

Minimal Tinkerer
Original poster
New User
Mar 5, 2019
Hello everyone !

I have a question for RVZ03 owners. Do you think that with some gentle modding (or butchering :p) you can fit a mATX motherboard (such as in my case (ahah get it ?) an Asus Maximus VIII Gene) ? And furthermore, could you still use the double PCIe slot for a graphic card (i planned a MSI 970 Gaming 4G for this) ?

Thanks in advance.

internetfreak

Cable Smoosher
Mar 3, 2019
Not recommended, please consider that the connectors to the headers and other plugs will get in the way of the GPU as well as wreck airflow. The fan grates in "gpu country" are there for airflow. I've got an MSI Armor V1 OC GTX 1060 in mine, looks different but similar in size. There is literally zero room between the GPU and the slim fans that are mounted on the side.

Better to go with the board it's designed to fit. Your GPU will thank you for the better airflow. Although it's a free country, I could be wrong, and would be interesting to see the results.

IgnisMagister

Minimal Tinkerer
Original poster
New User
Mar 5, 2019
Not recommended, please consider that the connectors to the headers and other plugs will get in the way of the GPU as well as wreck airflow. The fan grates in "gpu country" are there for airflow. I've got an MSI Armor V1 OC GTX 1060 in mine, looks different but similar in size. There is literally zero room between the GPU and the slim fans that are mounted on the side.

Better to go with the board it's designed to fit. Your GPU will thank you for the better airflow. Although it's a free country, I could be wrong, and would be interesting to see the results.

I already have these parts and do not really have the budget to buy a new motherboard. Do you think it's possible to revert the orientation of the graphics card and thus have the fans pointing directly to the exterior of the chassis (edit : to the opposite of the motherboard) ? It would sacrifice the hdd emplacements but i can deal with it by using a m2 ssd i already have.

internetfreak

Cable Smoosher
Mar 3, 2019
The bottom of the mother board would cover the fan grates unfortunately. In order to accomplish what you're looking to do, you'd need a custom bracket to accommodate a flipped GPU. Even with that, it just came to mind that mother board won't fit due to the power supply shroud / bracket. The motherboard area in the case can barely fit a mITX board, a mATX board is just too much for it.

Wish I had better news for you in this case.

I nearly went with the Lian Li PCO6 which is a slim tower that can fit your board and card with plenty of room to spare. If you're locked in with your hardware, then you'd need a case that will fit your board. Perhaps a refund on the case is in order if you can get one.

IgnisMagister

Minimal Tinkerer
Original poster
New User
Mar 5, 2019
Fortunately, I do not have bought the RVZ03. I was planning to reuse my hardware when I will replace my processor and motherboard. I do have an Asus Maximus VIII Gene, an i7 6700K, a Samsung M2 500GB SSD and a MSI 970 Gaming 4G. I have to buy a case, a cooling unit and a PSU to complete the build, but i can't find any slim case (like the RVZ03) to fit all inside ... (I want to put the computer in a backpack to carry it while riding a motorcycle)

internetfreak

Cable Smoosher
Mar 3, 2019
That case (RVZ03) is definitely portable, I tend to take that thing with me whenever I am going somewhere for more than a day. It's unfortunate that board you have wouldn't fit. Definitely worth the investment for a mITX board if you want that portability. Also despite it claiming to support a full ATX power supply, you will end up having to go with an SFX power supply.

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
Fortunately, I do not have bought the RVZ03. I was planning to reuse my hardware when I will replace my processor and motherboard. I do have an Asus Maximus VIII Gene, an i7 6700K, a Samsung M2 500GB SSD and a MSI 970 Gaming 4G. I have to buy a case, a cooling unit and a PSU to complete the build, but i can't find any slim case (like the RVZ03) to fit all inside ... (I want to put the computer in a backpack to carry it while riding a motorcycle)
Considered a Cerberus? It's not that much bigger than the RVZ03 - 18l vs 14l, thicker, but slightly smaller in other dimensions, and it'll fit all your hardware. Not cheap, but should do what you want it to.

Reactions: internetfreak

condelio

Case Bender
New User
Mar 25, 2019
hey, a Little late to answer. i agree with others, don't think it's possible to fit atx in rvz03. having said that, i happen to have both ftz01b (similar to rvz01/rvz03) as my main system and a sg13 ...ftz01/rvz01/rvz03 is a great plataform for high end systems with great airflow...but if you want to put it in a backpack i dare to suggest sugo sg-13 (the one with front mesh for better airflow) ...it's a cheap case, you can use cheaper atx psus (cheaper than sfx psus), with the money for a rvz03 maybe you can get a sg13 and a cheap itx Mobo for your 6700k. you would have to investigate wich cooler you prefer. personally i'd choose a small air cooler (if i remember correctly Silverstone ar06 barely fits) instead of aio (always thinking in backpack and motorcycle)... sg13 has 10.3" restriction in the gpu's lenght i think, but so far has been much easier to transport in a backpack for me