Silverstone FX350-G fan replacement

MOTHMAN

Cable Smoosher
Jan 7, 2020
Thank you Exanders. The fan polarity is reversed for sure, since it won't work plugged straight in the PSU.

I'm just not sure exactly "how" to reverse the polarity via the cable. Can't find any good videos.

MOTHMAN

Cable Smoosher
Jan 7, 2020
Actually, I managed to reverse the polarity!

But the fan seems to be way too slow, considering the speed I can get by plugging it into the motherboard. So I'm worried that it isen't responding correctly to the PSU temp/load.

drifter93

Case Bender
New User
Apr 5, 2020
Hi guys!

Has anyone tried this fan?

Delta AFB0412LB-F00 40mm x 15mm with TAC Sensor

It's specs are the following:

18.5 dba noise
5000 rpm
6.5 cfm air flow
3pin

OEM Specs:

With a 3pin to 2pin connector and by reversing the polarity of the adaptor, it could actually work. The only thing is if the specs are realistic and not some marketing b***s**t.

drifter93

Case Bender
New User
Apr 5, 2020
Also it's has a static pressure of 3.66 mm H20. I think it's exactly between the Noctua and the OEM fan, but only if the advertised specs are correct. I don't find a reason not to be correct though

GDX

Cable Smoosher
New User
Apr 10, 2020
Actually, I managed to reverse the polarity!

But the fan seems to be way too slow, considering the speed I can get by plugging it into the motherboard. So I'm worried that it isen't responding correctly to the PSU temp/load.

Did you manage to fix this or does the PSU remain cool enough? Also how did you reverse the polarity? I guess just swap the wires around on the connector right

enzymey

Case Bender
New User
May 6, 2020
I'm considering buying this PSU but in all reviews i've seen complains about the noise of the fan. How loud is really the fan? Is it louder than a gaming laptop on full load(50dB)?

Jace

Chassis Packer
Jan 28, 2017
I'm considering buying this PSU but in all reviews i've seen complains about the noise of the fan. How loud is really the fan? Is it louder than a gaming laptop on full load(50dB)?
It is insanely loud. And I use my pc 2,5 m away from me. I can't say for sure about the decibels, but I would say that it felt like 55dB. And the speed it runs is locked. To be honest I wouldn't recommend this power supply because of this. I only bought it because I didn't have any other options, or at least reasonably priced other options. I can't recommend you any other PSU either, because I don't have any experiences with any other FLEX ATX PSUs. I have read good things about FSP's FLEX power supplies though.

enzymey

Case Bender
New User
May 6, 2020
It is insanely loud. And I use my pc 2,5 m away from me. I can't say for sure about the decibels, but I would say that it felt like 55dB. And the speed it runs is locked. To be honest I wouldn't recommend this power supply because of this. I only bought it because I didn't have any other options, or at least reasonably priced other options. I can't recommend you any other PSU either, because I don't have any experiences with any other FLEX ATX PSUs. I have read good things about FSP's FLEX power supplies though.
I'm in the same boat. It's either this one on new condition, 2 years warranty and cheaper, or a used one from ebay which costs more and has less power(Seasonic ssp-300sug 300W).
Can you do me a favor? Can you measure noise levels with a sound meter app from your phone? Just to have an idea of the noise range i should expect from this PSU.

dnpp123

Trash Compacter
Jun 6, 2019
Do you guys know a decent alternative to the FX350-G? I planed to buy it but it would suck for the fan to be too loud. Need Flex ATX with at least 300W

GDX

Cable Smoosher
New User
Apr 10, 2020
I'm in the same boat. It's either this one on new condition, 2 years warranty and cheaper, or a used one from ebay which costs more and has less power(Seasonic ssp-300sug 300W).
Can you do me a favor? Can you measure noise levels with a sound meter app from your phone? Just to have an idea of the noise range i should expect from this PSU.
Can confirm its insanely loud. Definitely above 50 db. Would not recommend without a fan replacement.

Reactions: Jace

Jace

Chassis Packer
Jan 28, 2017
Unfortunately I have already swapped the fan with Noctua 40mm so I can't really measure the dB anymore, sorry. But as I said the original fan is insanely loud, really unbearable even from a distance. My estimated 55dB is based on comparing with another build that produced 55dB. Flex ATX was, to my understanding, designed originally as a rackmount server PSU and this Silverstone sure does sound like it too.

If you still decide to go with this power supply you probably want to do the fan swap. It's pretty easy, really straight forward. Only thing you have to "mod" is switching the polarity on the Noctua 3 to 2 pin connector that plugs to the PSU's internal connector. That is really easy to do too, just push the 2 pins inside the connector down (I used a needle) to get the actual connector off, then just bend the pins back up again and put them back to the connector, now just on the different sides than originally. Doing this obviously voids warranty on the PSU. The Noctua 40mm fan is also too slim and leaves a gap between it and the PSU casing. And lastly the Noctua 40mm fan doesn't move that much air compared to the original fan. So the PSU gets noticeably warmer than before. This makes me a little bit skeptical about the longevity of the PSU now.

Considering all this I can't recommend the Silverstone FX350-G.

GDX

Cable Smoosher
New User
Apr 10, 2020
Just as a warning, I attempted the fan swap exactly as you have described above. Not sure what happened but as I plugged in the noctua fan, a huge spark went off tripping the circuit breaker for the entire house. Now both the PSU and the fan are broken. (tested the noctua fan again with another pc, no life and the PSU does not switch on even with the original stock fan)

Anyone has any idea what could have gone wrong? Either the PSU has still on somehow as I plugged in the new noctua fan or I touched another component accidentally which caused the spark.

Jace

Chassis Packer
Jan 28, 2017
Just as a warning, I attempted the fan swap exactly as you have described above. Not sure what happened but as I plugged in the noctua fan, a huge spark went off tripping the circuit breaker for the entire house. Now both the PSU and the fan are broken. (tested the noctua fan again with another pc, no life and the PSU does not switch on even with the original stock fan)

Anyone has any idea what could have gone wrong? Either the PSU has still on somehow as I plugged in the new noctua fan or I touched another component accidentally which caused the spark.
I'm sorry to hear that :/ I actually had to do this thing twice because on the first time I didn't know about the reverse polarity thing in the connector. And I still had no problems. I just did everything really carefully. I ask this just to be sure, but did you connect the Noctua fan to the exact same place from where you removed the original fan? Because inside the PSU there is actually a second similar connector, but that should be occupied by default. There was though one user here in this thread that had that connector unconnected and asked if it was that way on purpose, which it shouldn't. Another thing that came to my mind is that is your Noctua 40mm fan 12v? Because if it's the 5v model than that could explain the spark. (I'm by no means any expert, but I think that the resistor inside the fan will overheat and burn if connected to too high current. And that causes short circuit.)

GDX

Cable Smoosher
New User
Apr 10, 2020
I'm sorry to hear that :/ I actually had to do this thing twice because on the first time I didn't know about the reverse polarity thing in the connector. And I still had no problems. I just did everything really carefully. I ask this just to be sure, but did you connect the Noctua fan to the exact same place from where you removed the original fan? Because inside the PSU there is actually a second similar connector, but that should be occupied by default. There was though one user here in this thread that had that connector unconnected and asked if it was that way on purpose, which it shouldn't. Another thing that came to my mind is that is your Noctua 40mm fan 12v? Because if it's the 5v model than that could explain the spark. (I'm by no means any expert, but I think that the resistor inside the fan will overheat and burn if connected to too high current. And that causes short circuit.)
Its a mystery for me as well. I though i did every thing as mentioned by others in this forum. My fan was indeed the a4x10 FlX 12V version. I also connected to the same connector. What was strange was that initially, I reversed the wire of the 3 to 2 pin adaptor and switched on the psu (the correct step). I saw the fan twitch but didnt spin. Any idea how thats possible? The spark only happened when I tried connected it again after removing it (but maybe while i forgot to switch off the PSU first)

tobise

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Jul 7, 2020
enhanced 7660b which is a 600w flex psu will be the goal to go. all 4015 fan size model psu are not recommended.
Do you guys know a decent alternative to the FX350-G? I planed to buy it but it would suck for the fan to be too loud. Need Flex ATX with at least 300W

tobise

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Jul 7, 2020
noctua also is not recomended here, cuz cfm is too low. U are at risk overheating psu. SUNON maglev fan is a much better option. Cheaper and more powerful.

Snerual

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jul 3, 2020
What was strange was that initially, I reversed the wire of the 3 to 2 pin adaptor and switched on the psu (the correct step). I saw the fan twitch but didnt spin. Any idea how thats possible?
The exact same thing happened to mine. Did everything correctly, then just a tiny wiggle but no spin. It seems like the PSU does not deliver enough power for the Noctua to spin... Though apparently this is not the case for other people that did the swap so who knows... I ended up plugging the fan into my motherboard and run it at constant 85% speed in a build with a 3600 and 1650 so very low power. Important tip though: put some electrical tape or similar over the 5mm gap that forms when you install the 10mm Noctua.

Honestly I think quality control on these things must be a total joke. Inconsistent fan power delivery, PSUs shipping with connectors unplugged... Mine also has this big piece of transparent plastic that almost completely blocks the top vent except for a small hole...

Then again there's absolutely no good alternatives on the European market. Only the seasonic 300sug but that doesn't come with a GPU connector and I believe the fan has some weird connector that makes fan swaps hard. Plus, it's quite ugly

Last edited:

Snerual

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jul 3, 2020
noctua also is not recomended here, cuz cfm is too low. U are at risk overheating psu. SUNON maglev fan is a much better option. Cheaper and more powerful.
I took this advice and purchased this Sunon Maglev
Compared to the Noctua it has 60% more static pressure, 70% more airflow, and a 2,6dB higher noise rating. It is dirt cheap (I picked it up for 6.30 EUR shipped on eBay) but it didn't come with any fan connector or sleeving, just 2 bare wires you have to DIY.

Putting them side by side however, the Sunon is noticeably thinner than the Noctua, I would say by at least 1mm.

While it is definitely noticeably louder than the Noctua, it also pushes noticeably more air, and it is way, way better than the stock fan or the 40x15 Delta I also tried. I would not be afraid to use the 6 pin GPU connector with this fan installed. If only Sunon made a 40x15mm Maglev...

Overall I still would not recommend anyone to buy this PSU though.
- The fan curve seems broken. It just slowly ramps up to max over 10 minutes independent of load, and it never goes down again
- There is nowhere for air to enter the PSU, there's a piece of transparent plastic blocking 80% of the metal vent on the side. However this seems by design and I'm afraid of removing it. (Though maybe I'll do it anyway, I have nothing to loose at this point)

Reactions: exanders

tobise

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Jul 7, 2020
Overall I still would not recommend anyone to buy this PSU though.
- The fan curve seems broken. It just slowly ramps up to max over 10 minutes independent of load, and it never goes down again
- There is nowhere for air to enter the PSU, there's a piece of transparent plastic blocking 80% of the metal vent on the side. However this seems by design and I'm afraid of removing it. (Though maybe I'll do it anyway, I have nothing to loose at this point)
1. for a 2 wired pin, the fan speed should be control by voltage. I replaced the original fan in my 7660b for a sunon model, it acts normal. Did it act diffently when u used your original fan?
2. most air come in the PSU from the front vent, so it is normal to have a transparent plastic there. Besides, if u have a case layout like velka3, u probably should not remove this, as the hot air produce by cpu and graphic card will be suck into the PSU which will cause the PSU overheats.

Snerual

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jul 3, 2020
1. for a 2 wired pin, the fan speed should be control by voltage. I replaced the original fan in my 7660b for a sunon model, it acts normal. Did it act diffently when u used your original fan?
2. most air come in the PSU from the front vent, so it is normal to have a transparent plastic there. Besides, if u have a case layout like velka3, u probably should not remove this, as the hot air produce by cpu and graphic card will be suck into the PSU which will cause the PSU overheats.
1. Yes, the original fan had the exact same behaviour. Though I now think it might actually be the case that the PSU gets hotter and hotter (even though load is low) because my case has very poor airflow and heat from CPU and GPU is also heating up the PSU case from the outside. I have a project planned for autumn with custom acrylic panels that should improve airflow.
2. I don't know what you mean with "front" vent in this case. The side where the cables come out? There is barely any venting there + this is also where hot air from CPU circulates. In my case (SKTC A02) that PSU side vent is facing the outside so it would be a good place to get fresh air...