Shrink wrapped motherboards

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
An air-tight industrial case seems the only way around that. Then you can just dust it off.

Reactions: Phryq

EdZ

Virtual Realist
May 11, 2015
Well, a coating is easier to clean; you can wipe it with a cloth. Even a damp cloth.

Also, the dust won't harm the motherboard sitting on the coating.
If the whole thing is coated, you can set up a WC system with a sprayer head that continuously sprays the entire board, washing off any dust that is able to settle. Bonus distributed evaporative cooling!

jØrd

S̳C̳S̳I̳ ̳f̳o̳r̳ ̳l̳i̳f̳e̳
sudocide.dev
SFFn Staff
Gold Supporter
LOSIAS
Jul 19, 2015
Have you considered dust filters? Whilst you do have to clean your filters from time to time they will stop the vast majority of dust from entering your chassis and will cost a metric fuckton less money than confomally coating your board, PCIe cards, etc. Even w/ everything possible conformally coated you still dont solve the problem of dust accumulating in I/O ports and such (for example, the front USB ports one of my servers are beyond filthy)

EdZ

Virtual Realist
May 11, 2015
There are also a handful of PC case fans available now that mimic industrial dust extraction systems, and run briefly at full-speed reverse on startup to clear the filter.

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
There are also a handful of PC case fans available now that mimic industrial dust extraction systems, and run briefly at full-speed reverse on startup to clear the filter.

I would not want to sit in front of that thing. :D

Ok, the real reason.

I simply hate the idea of dust touching my computer parts. My computer is always getting dusty, and it drives me nuts.

This would solve your issue, right?

Air-tight case for components and separate, heavily filtered compartment for radiators would also work.

Phryq

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Nov 13, 2016
www.AlbertMcKay.com
Yes, I've thought of having the main section air-tight and having the cooling exterior to the air-tight case...

Most likely I'll just go with the air-filter in the air-intake hole (cut a hole in the case where the CPU-fan is and put a big dust filter there).

Reactions: Biowarejak

wiretap

Average Stuffer
Apr 25, 2017
Covering entire motherboard with plastic, I think it wont work. Shrink wrapping can be quite good when compared to plastic packing.
Nice try spam bot. Shrink wrap generates a high amount of static (which it uses to 'cling' to itself), and isn't something you want to wrap around ESD sensitive electronics.

MOD EDIT: Removed spamlink :)

Reactions: Biowarejak