Shrink wrapped motherboards

Runamok81

Runner of Moks
Jul 27, 2015
troywitthoeft.com
sidebar - wealth of heatsink and passive cooling info in the antimemetic thread.

Dust filters - I have that on my MC600. They are nice, but are also a maintenance point. Must be cleaned every 3-4 months or they will start to clog, starving the case of air.

Phryq

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Nov 13, 2016
www.AlbertMcKay.com
This guy is covering his motherboard in Vaseline, because he's using liquid nitrogen cooling. But why not do this to just protect the motherboard from dust; then have a case with lots of air-vents?

Reactions: SeñorDonut

jØrd

S̳C̳S̳I̳ ̳f̳o̳r̳ ̳l̳i̳f̳e̳
sudocide.dev
SFFn Staff
Gold Supporter
LOSIAS
Jul 19, 2015
Think about what you say before you say it. Like any grease / oil / lube it will get fucking filthy. Dont get me wrong the stuff is super versatile, you can use it for everything from mommy & me time to rebuilding a kitchen faucet to condensation proofing a motherboard but its straight up the wrong tool for the job if your looking to dustproof anything.

Phryq

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Nov 13, 2016
www.AlbertMcKay.com
Ya, I saw that aquarium PC. It's cool, but not for me.

I'm just a little over-the-top paranoid about dust, but my computers always seem to end up dusty. Watching him blow-dry the Vaseline made me think it somehow hardened. I don't really have much experience with Vaseline.

Biowarejak

Maker of Awesome | User 1615
Platinum Supporter
Mar 6, 2017
You can get conformal coating on Amazon. Then just go ham dusting the damn thing with whatever.

Reactions: Phryq

VegetableStu

Shrink Ray Wielder
Aug 18, 2016
Sorry, had to post to get this thought out of my head

Biowarejak

Platinum Supporter
Mar 6, 2017
I was under the impression that wifi has a hard time penetrating water. Could be wrong though!

|||

King of Cable Management
Sep 26, 2015
Only if you pot the entire thing including cables. Boards, contacts, anything exposed needs to be coated. That rules out any USB, audio or video connections as those connectors are not sealed.

Not necessarily...you could seal on adapters that take that I/O to rugged connectors

Reactions: SeñorDonut

EdZ

Virtual Realist
May 11, 2015
Not necessarily...you could seal on adapters that take that I/O to rugged connectors
You'd need to be very careful sealing the non-rugged ends into the board connectors. You can't put adhesive on most of the connector mating surfaces (because those surface have the conductors on them) so it would be very easy to shift the connector after coating and fracture the coat.

Reactions: Biowarejak

wiretap

Average Stuffer
Apr 25, 2017
I have purchased quite a few computers that use conformal coating on the circuit cards and motherboards. (for HELB/LOCA nuclear applications where a humid environment could be possible) All I/O connectors go through weatherproof seals and mil-spec Amphenol connectors. For the boards, it's a pain in the ass to perform component-level repairs, since the conformal coating needs to be removed and reapplied after for something as simple as replacing a surface mount component. (I recommend taking IPC 7711/7721 training at a minimum if you plan to do so) For our upcoming plant process computer replacement project, I ordered the Neousys Nuvo-5100VTC rugged models for all our workstations -- with i7 6700's, SSD's, and dust seals on all unused ports. (this is for mild control room environments only) It's quite hard to schedule taking equipment out of service for preventative maintenance for cleaning and fan replacement since it needs to stay running for several years straight. I figured fanless and solid state would make a nice upgrade. I'm also powering them via auctioneered external Phoenix DC power supplies, so they can stay running in divisional power outages, or when a UPS needs to be swapped.

Last edited:

Biowarejak

Platinum Supporter
Mar 6, 2017
I have purchased quite a few computers that use conformal coating on the circuit cards and motherboards. (for HELB/LOCA nuclear applications where a humid environment could be possible) All I/O connectors go through weatherproof seals and mil-spec Amphenol connectors. For the boards, it's a pain in the ass to perform component-level repairs, since the conformal coating needs to be removed and reapplied after for something as simple as replacing a surface mount component. (I recommend taking IPC 7711/7721 training at a minimum if you plan to do so) For our upcoming plant process computer replacement project, I ordered the Neousys Nuvo-5100VTC rugged models for all our workstations -- with i7 6700's, SSD's, and dust seals on all unused ports. (this is for mild control room environments only) It's quite hard to schedule taking equipment out of service for preventative maintenance for cleaning and fan replacement since it needs to stay running for several years straight. I figured fanless and solid state would make a nice upgrade. I'm also powering them via auctioneered external Phoenix DC power supplies, so they can stay running in divisional power outages, or when a UPS needs to be swapped.
I suppose for Surface Mount Components it's a pain, but the one I'm thinking of doesn't nessesarily have to be removed prior to desoldering. Worth noting there are MANY kinds of conformal coatings