Sheet Metal Prototypes and Production [no longer available]

Prototype and volume manufacturing are available. Please submit your files in STEP, IGS, IGES, SLDPRT, SLDASM, or STL. I cannot accept SKP (Sketchup) files.

If you are using Protocase designer to design your enclosure, you can export the project as a STEP file.

Materials
  • Steel: 0.5-0.8-1.0-1.2-1.5 mm
  • Aluminum: 0.5-0.8-1.0-1.2-1.5-2.0-2.5-3.0-4.0-5.0 mm
Processing
  • Laser cutting
  • Bending
  • Fastener inserts
  • De-burring
Finishes
  • Powder coating
  • Anodizing
Components
  • Risers
  • Case fans
  • Power buttons
  • Case feet

Last edited:

VELKASE Michael

King of Cable Management
Original poster
VELKASE
Gold Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
It can be done in aluminum.

I think you have the right idea about the graphics card I/O bracket support. Perhaps it may be replaced by a separate metal piece with self clinching nuts acting as spacers. They're like regular machine screw nuts but are fixed permanently in sheet metal.

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017
Thanks for the responses - I’m beginning to get excited that this is a possibility. Also, I’d like this in aluminum...

Apologies in advance, I don’t know my way around flat metal machining. I’ll contact josh at nfc for s4m solidworks files.

I don’t believe any of the highlighted pieces are a requirement. The only requirement is the threaded holes for connecting it to the rest of the case, the motherboard stand-offs and backplate cutout, and the the gpu standoffs.

I think the piece that has the z elbow could easily be accomplished by an additional piece of flat metal overlapping and screwed to the motherboard support plate.

For the gpu pinched piece, open to other alternatives that support it sideways. An easy way to accomplish the goal would be another flat piece screw over the top of the gpu support instead of slotting it in.

I have already tried to get Solid files from Josh.

HE DOESN'T HAVE THEM.

Don't bother asking.

I quote what he told me:

The reason [for not giving solid CAD files] is my CAD is not reflective of the final product. Keep in mind I don't produce the chassis myself anymore so the factory has their engineering documents. For the most part they are vverrrrryyyy closely similar to my drawings, but small things can be moved around. I don't want people making the mistake of assuming they can use my CAD to machine around.

Vaderator

Average Stuffer
Bronze Supporter
Aug 7, 2017
Ok I was struggling with even producing a sketch up reflecting exactly where the gpu should be placed.

Michael - how should I proceed? What is easiest a sketch up file where I’ve checked the dimensions against the case. Alternatively, I could mail the part to be replicated with the alteration.

It would be really good to have a path to get this done. I’m fairly sure there are others who would be interested in this particular mod. Basically, anyone with the g-unique power supply who runs the s4m in console mode (ie sideways) would get a significant temperature benefit - especially in the 1080 ti mini.

VELKASE Michael

King of Cable Management
Original poster
VELKASE
Gold Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Ok I was struggling with even producing a sketch up reflecting exactly where the gpu should be placed.

Michael - how should I proceed? What is easiest a sketch up file where I’ve checked the dimensions against the case. Alternatively, I could mail the part to be replicated with the alteration.

It would be really good to have a path to get this done. I’m fairly sure there are others who would be interested in this particular mod. Basically, anyone with the g-unique power supply who runs the s4m in console mode (ie sideways) would get a significant temperature benefit - especially in the 1080 ti mini.

If you could mail the original part, it would be much easier to make a new one based on that. We can discuss that privately.

Does a different mount need to be made for the G-unique power supply that is not present on the original?

Vaderator

Average Stuffer
Bronze Supporter
Aug 7, 2017
Cool.

Also, G-unique power supply connects in the rectangular cutout to the right of the pci cutouts.

officialbs

What's an ITX?
Feb 2, 2019
If you want a case that fits your needs perfectly, then you're in luck! More affordable custom case design and manufacturing services are now available. Having 2D or 3D files helps but you can also pay to have the files made for you.

High volume manufacturing is also available.

How it works:
Tell me about your project and any relevant drawings, pictures, etc.
You will receive a quote on the project.
I will make a 3D model along with some renders to give you an idea of what it will look like.
The model is revised to your liking.
You will receive an invoice and we can proceed with manufacturing after payment.

Materials
  • Steel
  • Aluminum
Processing
  • Laser cutting
  • Bending
  • Fastener inserts
  • Deburring
Finishes
  • Powder coating
  • Anodizing
Components
  • Risers
  • Case fans
  • Power buttons
  • Case feet
Precision: 0.2 mm
Preferred file types
  • Sheet metal: STEP, IGS
  • 3D printing: G-code, STEP, IGS

Capabilities may increase over time according to demand.

I'm currently in the RVZ02 with an ITX motherboard and a reference 1070. It just feels really big, could you do a custom case that would fit all of what I currently have in something more the size of an xbox?

VELKASE Michael

King of Cable Management
Original poster
VELKASE
Gold Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
I'm currently in the RVZ02 with an ITX motherboard and a reference 1070. It just feels really big, could you do a custom case that would fit all of what I currently have in something more the size of an xbox?

Sure. Contact me privately with some information on your parts list and I'll see what can be done.

Damascus

Master of Cramming
Feb 27, 2018
How much would it run me to get a slightly oversized v3 with 2x92mm cutouts (for my rad) and how long would production take?

VELKASE Michael

King of Cable Management
Original poster
VELKASE
Gold Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
How much would it run me to get a slightly oversized v3 with 2x92mm cutouts (for my rad) and how long would production take?

It would take about 2-3 months after deciding on specifications and sending payment. If you wait to order until July after the stock case is released, then the result will be more refined. Could you please message me the model names of the radiator, fans, and reservoir you wish to use, as well as any other features needed such as fill ports? This will help determine the cost.

Reactions: Damascus

Damascus

Master of Cramming
Feb 27, 2018
It would take about 2-3 months after deciding on specifications and sending payment. If you wait to order until July after the stock case is released, then the result will be more refined. Could you please message me the model names of the radiator, fans, and reservoir you wish to use, as well as any other features needed such as fill ports? This will help determine the cost.
Yeah, I'll send some general specifications your way. I'm looking into potentially doing a commercial run of my manually made case and trying to find the best option for a (possibly less) 10-20ish case run.

fabslab

Case Bender
May 23, 2019
Would you be able to make something like the EKWB Vulture case but supporting mATX motherboard and without the optical and storage drive mounts?

VELKASE Michael

King of Cable Management
Original poster
VELKASE
Gold Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Would you be able to make something like the EKWB Vulture case but supporting mATX motherboard and without the optical and storage drive mounts?

Sorry, I do not work with acrylic yet. The side panel window would be a problem.

Sean Crees

Airflow Optimizer
Jan 1, 2017
I know this is a thread about sheet metal, but i noticed you also have one about 3d printing. I'm curious if you also have the ability to cnc route a prototype from plywood. I have a concept for a SFF pc case made from plywood i'm trying to get made. I already have the 3d model created in flat form.