Sheet Metal Prototypes and Production [no longer available]

Prototype and volume manufacturing are available. Please submit your files in STEP, IGS, IGES, SLDPRT, SLDASM, or STL. I cannot accept SKP (Sketchup) files.

If you are using Protocase designer to design your enclosure, you can export the project as a STEP file.

Materials
  • Steel: 0.5-0.8-1.0-1.2-1.5 mm
  • Aluminum: 0.5-0.8-1.0-1.2-1.5-2.0-2.5-3.0-4.0-5.0 mm
Processing
  • Laser cutting
  • Bending
  • Fastener inserts
  • De-burring
Finishes
  • Powder coating
  • Anodizing
Components
  • Risers
  • Case fans
  • Power buttons
  • Case feet

Last edited:

bledha

Airflow Optimizer
Feb 22, 2017
If you want a case that fits your needs perfectly, then you're in luck! More affordable custom case design and manufacturing services are now available. Whether you already have 2D and 3D files or just an idea in your head, you won't pay anything until it's ready to be manufactured.

Here is a sample of what can be done. To put things into perspective, a one-off case like that would cost only $300. Compare that to other options :)

How it works:
Tell me about your project and any relevant drawings, pictures, etc.
You will receive a quote on the project.
I will make a 3D model along with some renders to give you an idea of what it will look like for free.
The model is revised to your liking.
You will receive an invoice and we can proceed with manufacturing after payment.

----------------
Sheet metal capabilities:

Materials
  • Steel
  • Aluminum
Processing
  • Laser cutting
  • Bending
  • Fastener inserts
Finishes
  • Powder coating
  • Anodizing
Components
  • Risers
  • Case fans
  • Power buttons
  • Case feet
Capabilities may increase over time according to demand.

Um, where have you been all my life?!

Reactions: el01

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017
If you want a case that fits your needs perfectly, then you're in luck! More affordable custom case design and manufacturing services are now available. Whether you already have 2D and 3D files or just an idea in your head, you won't pay anything until it's ready to be manufactured.

Here is a sample of what can be done. To put things into perspective, a one-off case like that would cost only $300. Compare that to other options :)

How it works:
I will make a 3D model along with some renders to give you an idea of what it will look like for free.
You will receive an invoice and we can proceed with manufacturing after payment.

----------------
Sheet metal capabilities:

Materials
  • Steel
  • Aluminum
Processing
  • Laser cutting
  • Bending
  • Fastener inserts
Finishes
  • Powder coating
  • Anodizing
Components
  • Risers
  • Case fans
  • Power buttons
  • Case feet

Cheaper if I do all the design and make the 3D model?
If so, this DESTROYS protocase big time!

Let me know!

VELKASE Michael

King of Cable Management
Original poster
VELKASE
Gold Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Cheaper if I do all the design and make the 3D model?
If so, this DESTROYS protocase big time!

Let me know!

My response will be posted here so that others can see as well.
It will not be necessarily cheaper to make an order based on a ready-for-manufacture 3D model because design services are free, at least until I have too much work to handle. However, it is highly advisable to make a 3D model yourself to save time. It will be much less expensive than Protocase.

Feel free to send me a private message to discuss a potential project.

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017

Here is a sample of what can be done. To put things into perspective, a one-off case like that would cost only around $300. Compare that to other options :)

How it works:

Materials
  • Steel
  • Aluminum
Processing
  • Laser cutting
  • Bending
  • Fastener inserts
  • Deburring
Finishes
  • Powder coating
  • Anodizing
Components
  • Risers
  • Case fans
  • Power buttons
  • Case feet
Precision: 0.2 mm
Preferred file types for 3D models: STEP, IGS

Can you do countersinking?
For flathead screws?

SumGhai

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jun 14, 2016
While the title and OP feature fully custom cases, would you be willing to do custom parts as well? Like, custom brackets or panels?

VELKASE Michael

King of Cable Management
Original poster
VELKASE
Gold Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
While the title and OP feature fully custom cases, would you be willing to do custom parts as well? Like, custom brackets or panels?

Yeah, easily. However, do note that the price may not scale linearly with the size of the job as there are fixed setup and shipping expenses involved.

AURMEND

Destroyer of PCs
A&M Solutions and Design LLC
Jul 30, 2018
Now my question is, when will you be designing a case for the Zotac 1080ti Mini, 215mm car length? Will be done seeing you would design it.

VELKASE Michael

King of Cable Management
Original poster
VELKASE
Gold Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Now my question is, when will you be designing a case for the Zotac 1080ti Mini, 215mm car length? Will be done seeing you would design it.

I don't currently have plans to design and stock a case for 215 mm cards.

VELKASE Michael

King of Cable Management
Original poster
VELKASE
Gold Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Looks like I forgot to include some information on manufacturing capabilities. 3D printed parts are also available, made on a MakerGear M2.

sard

Cable Smoosher
Dec 14, 2018
Question: what is the absolute bottom-of-the-barrel dirt cheapest you can go on price for a case?

I have an ITX board that will run headless, boot off a usb stick, and uses a picoPSU (which I already have). I don't care about PCI slots or SSD mounts or PSU mounts or fan mounts or basically anything. All I need is literally a generic metal box with four standoffs and a power button and I don't really care how ugly it looks. (Unfortunately I don't really have the tools to make this myself).

Is this something you would be interested in making, and if so, how cheap could you get it?

VELKASE Michael

King of Cable Management
Original poster
VELKASE
Gold Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Question: what is the absolute bottom-of-the-barrel dirt cheapest you can go on price for a case?

I have an ITX board that will run headless, boot off a usb stick, and uses a picoPSU (which I already have). I don't care about PCI slots or SSD mounts or PSU mounts or fan mounts or basically anything. All I need is literally a generic metal box with four standoffs and a power button and I don't really care how ugly it looks. (Unfortunately I don't really have the tools to make this myself).

Is this something you would be interested in making, and if so, how cheap could you get it?

About $170 if custom made and shipped to the US, +$15 for shipping to another country. That can get you a powder-coated box with the pico PSU DC jack mounting point, standoffs, and power button. Is there any reason in particular why you want this to be custom made?

sard

Cable Smoosher
Dec 14, 2018
That can get you a powder-coated box
How much less if it's just bare metal? :)

In all seriousness though, that's out of my price range (which is what I was expecting). I'm basically looking for something almost disposable that's cheaper than a new case sold retail.

Is there any reason in particular why you want this to be custom made?
I live in a small city apartment and don't have a workshop with a bunch of drills and saws and stuff. As primitive as what I'm looking for is, I don't really have the capability to make it myself and don't really know anyone else who can.

VELKASE Michael

King of Cable Management
Original poster
VELKASE
Gold Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
How much less if it's just bare metal? :)

In all seriousness though, that's out of my price range (which is what I was expecting). I'm basically looking for something almost disposable that's cheaper than a new case sold retail.

I live in a small city apartment and don't have a workshop with a bunch of drills and saws and stuff. As primitive as what I'm looking for is, I don't really have the capability to make it myself and don't really know anyone else who can.

I won't be able to make a one-off case for less than retail prices of cases produced in volume, even if it's just bare metal. Mini-Box sells enclosures compatible with their own power supplies for as low as $40.

Vaderator

Average Stuffer
Bronze Supporter
Aug 7, 2017
Any chance you could do an inverted gpu backplate for the skyreach s4?

teisysadmin put together a sketchup diagram of the part (https://smallformfactor.net/forum/threads/skyreach-4-mini-s4m.5715/page-108#post-118930).

From his and Josh's conversation, this appears to be a difficult piece to manufacture, however, I would love to see it become a reality.

The one change to the sketchup would be to raise the gpu bracket up so that the 2.5" hdds would fit underneath.

VELKASE Michael

King of Cable Management
Original poster
VELKASE
Gold Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Any chance you could do an inverted gpu backplate for the skyreach s4?

teisysadmin put together a sketchup diagram of the part (https://smallformfactor.net/forum/threads/skyreach-4-mini-s4m.5715/page-108#post-118930).

From his and Josh's conversation, this appears to be a difficult piece to manufacture, however, I would love to see it become a reality.

The one change to the sketchup would be to raise the gpu bracket up so that the 2.5" hdds would fit underneath.

At the moment, I'm not 100% sure if I will be able to make these two features. Is there any Solidworks file for this part?
https://i.imgur.com/HqvkdFo.png

VELKASE Michael

King of Cable Management
Original poster
VELKASE
Gold Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
That appears to be a loft, and is doable only through that stamping process used to make the S4 in the first place.

Some offset sizes are standard, so there is a possibility that they don't use custom tooling for it.

Vaderator

Average Stuffer
Bronze Supporter
Aug 7, 2017
Thanks for the responses - I’m beginning to get excited that this is a possibility. Also, I’d like this in aluminum...

Apologies in advance, I don’t know my way around flat metal machining. I’ll contact josh at nfc for s4m solidworks files.

I don’t believe any of the highlighted pieces are a requirement. The only requirement is the threaded holes for connecting it to the rest of the case, the motherboard stand-offs and backplate cutout, and the the gpu standoffs.

I think the piece that has the z elbow could easily be accomplished by an additional piece of flat metal overlapping and screwed to the motherboard support plate.

For the gpu pinched piece, open to other alternatives that support it sideways. An easy way to accomplish the goal would be another flat piece screw over the top of the gpu support instead of slotting it in.