Shave CPU cooler or Remove RAM heatsink

Novanlor

Minimal Tinkerer
Original poster
New User
May 25, 2020
Hello, I'm putting together a build using Aorus X570i Pro, is-60 CPU cooler and some Ballistix RAM.

I was originally going to use Ballistix Sport LT because I know it fits using these exact components

but now I am tempted to order the newer Ballistix and make it fit.

It's about 1mm taller and about 1mm wider, I expect to run into clearance issues.

Would it be best to sand down the CPU cooler, remove the RAM heatsink completely, or remove the RAM heatsink and sand down one side of the heatsink before reattaching it?

I'm thinking it would be best to leave the RAM alone, it costs twice as much as the cooler and I'm more likely to sell it down the line. this is where I'd have to shave the cooler down.

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:

Novanlor

Minimal Tinkerer
Original poster
New User
May 25, 2020
uhh, guess i can't edit posts yet. didn't expect those links to look so terrible. :/

rcradiator

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 23, 2018
Hello, I'm putting together a build using Aorus X570i Pro, is-60 CPU cooler and some Ballistix RAM.

I was originally going to use Ballistix Sport LT because I know it fits using these exact components but now I am tempted to order the newer Ballistix and make it fit.
It's about 1mm taller and about 1mm wider, I expect to run into clearance issues.

Would it be best to sand down the CPU cooler, remove the RAM heatsink completely, or remove the RAM heatsink and sand down one side of the heatsink before reattaching it?

I'm thinking it would be best to leave the RAM alone, it costs twice as much as the cooler and I'm more likely to sell it down the line. this is where I'd have to shave the cooler down.
Thanks!
Go with modding cooler first if you have the tools for it. The cooler is cheap enough and there's no risk of damaging components as long as you stay away from the heatpipes. Removing ram heatsinks is dangerous. You could potentially rip the memory chip off the pcb as the adhesive some memory manufacturers use may be stronger than the solder between the memory chip and the pcb. Plus you'd void your warranty.

Novanlor

Minimal Tinkerer
Original poster
New User
May 25, 2020
Go with modding cooler first if you have the tools for it.

Thanks for your advice! The side of the cooler that would interfere with the RAM is a strip of metal that closes off one end of the fins, about 1mm thick. I was thinking of filing/sanding it down as thin as possible; If I go all the way through the air from inside the cooler would likely blow directly onto a RAM stick, do you think this would be an issue?

rcradiator

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 23, 2018
Thanks for your advice! The side of the cooler that would interfere with the RAM is a strip of metal that closes off one end of the fins, about 1mm thick. I was thinking of filing/sanding it down as thin as possible; If I go all the way through the air from inside the cooler would likely blow directly onto a RAM stick, do you think this would be an issue?
No, I don't think it matters.