confusis

John Morrison. Founder and Team Leader of SFF.N
Original poster
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
Heatpipe Direct Contact - buzzwords from a bygone era when heatsink technology hadn't quite reached the peak it is at now. However, there may still be performance to be gained from this technology - especially in smaller form factors where getting the heat to the cooling fins is of utmost priority - a heatsoaking solid baseplate may not be the best option.

SilverStone has launched the Argon Series AR11 - a 47mm high heatsink with a blend of old and new technology. Let's see how it performs!

Read more here.

Solo

King of Cable Management
Nov 18, 2017
Should've cloned the Gentle Typhoon blade array. Probably would have been a sick cooler.

Nasp

Cable-Tie Ninja
Apr 17, 2017
Will admit that I skimmed the review, but did you try with a 25mm thick Noctua fan?

confusis

Original poster
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
@Nasp No I did not. Adding in a 25mm fan brings the height into the realms of much larger coolers - the NH-L9x65, and some 120mm slim fan coolers :)

confusis

Original poster
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
Hey folks, some updates from @SilverStone - points that I missed and feel should be included;

-I tested on a 54W CPU, (the highest wattage Intel chip I have to hand. Damn my i7-7700T's power friendliness!), so the results at higher wattages should be more pronounced
-The NH-L9i will struggle a bit with 95W CPUs, unlike the AR11 which is rated for that wattage bracket
-The C7 Cu is a heavier and more expensive cooler!

Also to note;
-Silverstone tested with the AR06's fan, and found the airflow insufficient at the 95W TDP level

Mortis Angelus

Airflow Optimizer
Jun 22, 2017
Thanks for the review, @confusis !

It is odd that a company well indoctrinated to the cooling scene would put an airflow fan, not a static pressure fan, onto a cooler at all. I mean, it is a pretty simple rule, never to put airflow fans onto anything with air resistance. :/

But basically, with a Noctua fan, you get 4 degrees better temps than with a regular noctua nh-l9i, but at the cost of being thicker? Right?

annasoh323

Master of Cramming
Apr 4, 2018
The dimensions, # of heatpipes, and the rated TDP seem to indicate that this is targeted straight at the C7 (Cu? Also, I'm comparing it to the C7 because I have one). It seems to stack up favorably well enough such that it's justifiable as an alternative to new shoppers, if not quite a "buy it now and replace all your C7's!" option. It seems like a nice, no-nonsense kit. Would be interested to see additional testing as well.

Reactions: el01

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
Looks like at it's trading blows with the x65 with a 15mm fan. Maybe removing the original fan and adding a A9 PWM on is the way to go for those taller cases then, as the AR11 would still be smaller than the l9x65 at 57 mm.

At 57mm, it is real close to Big Shuriken 2 and Reeven Brontes. Those would be better.