SFF.Network SFFn at techXpo New Zealand!

New Zealand is a tiny little country at the bottom of the Pacific Ocean, so it comes as no surprise that we don't get big tech shows like CES, Computex, PAX and the like. We do get a small show called techXpo though, sponsored by local mega retailer PBTech. I wandered around taking numerous photos, and chatting with the likes of AMD, ASUS, Coolermaster, Ubiquiti and Canon.

Read more here.

VegetableStu

Shrink Ray Wielder
Aug 18, 2016

That space so big, when one drives a sword through that thing, there's a 50% chance that PC would still work ._.

VegetableStu

Shrink Ray Wielder
Aug 18, 2016
Awwh.. at least I'm fine with my X99M now :(
Damn secondhand prices for X99 CPUs still sticking close to new prices

BirdofPrey

Standards Guru
Sep 3, 2015
Honestly, I don't see the point to ITX threadripper, and mATX seems a bit dubious as well.
One of the main offerings of Threadripper is the connectivity. You can't house enough hardware to use those PCIe lanes, and it's tough for mATX as well. Ryzen is already bringing the 8 cores of goodness to the masses that would otherwise use X99

Reactions: Soul_Est and Phuncz

Elerek

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jul 17, 2017
Honestly, I don't see the point to ITX threadripper, and mATX seems a bit dubious as well.
One of the main offerings of Threadripper is the connectivity. You can't house enough hardware to use those PCIe lanes, and it's tough for mATX as well. Ryzen is already bringing the 8 cores of goodness to the masses that would otherwise use X99

Just cover the back of the board in m.2 slots. You've got 60 lanes to work with, 44 after the pcie slot, so that's 11 nvme m.2 drives ;)

Edit:
On a more serious note though, I do lots of development work and datacenter automation, so I don't want threadripper for the connectivity, I want it for the cores. More cores = more vms and docker containers I can run.

My current rig uses 2 e5-2650v2 8 core 16 thread xeons. Threadripper would let me shrink that monster way down and get much higher performance at the same time. If I really wanted more than one pcie card I can always split the one slot into 2 x8 slots anyway. Nothing I have needs the full x16.

Reactions: Soul_Est

DontPeek

Trash Compacter
Oct 17, 2016
That saucer cooler is interesting, although I can't imagine why they didn't just use a fan that completely covered the top of the heatsink Instead of a smaller fan and a duct.

3lfk1ng

King of Cable Management
SFFn Staff
Bronze Supporter
Jun 3, 2016
www.reihengaming.com

I just want an mATX board at the very least.

Number of Threadripper PCIe lanes: 64
(-) 4 to the chipset = 60 remaining
(-) 2 x (16x lanes) = 28 remaining
(-) 1 x (8x lane) = 20 remaining
(-) 4 x (4x m.2) = 4 remaining

We're all about that performance per liter ;)

confusis

John Morrison. Founder and Team Leader of SFF.N
Original poster
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
The saucer cooler was a demo item, showing off what their fab can do.

Regarding ASUS AM4 ITX, all i was told it that it's coming, I couldn't squeeze any more out of them :(

Reactions: Soul_Est and ECHO