Prebuilt [SFFn] ASRock's DeskMini A300 - Finally!

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
I'm thinking Renoir APU had shitty memory controller. Start from 2400 MHz and work your way up. Don't get your hopes up after 2666 MHz. :(
It doesnt - quite the opposite. Renoir on any other platform handles memory speeds well in excess of 3200 with no issues, so the issue here is either poor memory trace routing from ASRock's motherboard design team, poorly implemented BIOS/memory training, poor VRAM/SoC voltage control, or some combination of those. The Renoir IMC is fantastic, and while there might of course be duds out there, the likelihood of every A300 owner getting a Renoir with a bad IMC is essentially zero.

asrock_mini_stx

Cable Smoosher
Sep 4, 2020
That memory kit needs an XMP profile to be enabled to hit 3200, so it's highly unlikely for that to be the issue - without that it likely defaults to 2400 or 2666 at JEDEC timings, which the X300 should handle no matter what.

Does the X300 originally ship with a BIOS with Renoir support? If not, it might just be that you need a BIOS update. Peripherals don't matter in this case (unless they are somehow faulty).

I would expect it to? Either way, how would i flash a new bios (can only see one released for x300) if i can't even get into bios?

Last edited:

asrock_mini_stx

Cable Smoosher
Sep 4, 2020
Ok, must be because it's been its been a while since i applied a fan and thermal paste but tried with stock cooler as well and same behaviour - but without the fan it boots up and into bios. Am i applying it the heatsink too hard perhaps, and how long between wiping the paste down with alcohol should i wait before applying it again?

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
The only way that should be able to affect anything is if the cooler is torqued down so hard it flexes the motherboard and makes something lose contact. Which sounds unlikely to me, but I guess it's possible. How much did you tighten the L9a? The AM4 socket doesn't rely on cooler mounting pressure to ensure good CPU-socket contact (unlike LGA sockets like the ones Intel uses), so you don't need to tighten it down all that hard. If your motherboard is flexing visibly, loosen it up a bit. It shouldn't be possible to over tighten the stock coolers given that they use the stock backplate, so that sounds weird. It might be that you've got a dud motherboard, perhaps a cold solder joint in the socket or some such.

As for thermal paste: just let the alcohol evaporate before applying new paste, which should happen almost instantly.

limsandy

Average Stuffer
Jul 3, 2020
i had consistent bsod issue during windows bootup after upgrading 2200g to 4650g. i thought it was caused by bad chipset driver, see posts about it starting here. maybe it was not related to drivers at all. the only thing i know for sure that i tried everything but only a complete windows reinstall solved it. not a single problem occured ever since. even with 3000 to 3200 mhz ram oc.

Which version of Win 10 do you use? And is there any particular way to re-install Windows I should note of? Pre-install NVMe drivers? And which AMD driver did you use afterwards?

Devon

Efficiency Noob
Sep 15, 2020
Haven't posted in awhile but I wanted to share my experience again I bought this ram kit https://www.newegg.com/team-16gb-260-pin-ddr4-so-dimm/p/N82E16820331503?Item=N82E16820331503 cheapest 3200 I could find last summer and the deskmini has been working great with it, in fact the 2200g would boot with it but my games would lock up at 3200 so I had to dial it back to 2933. Ram showed to be micron chips in cpu z.

Once I bought the 4650G and set it to 3200 in bios the same games played flawless with no lockup. I also didn't have any windows problems upgrading straight from the 2200G to 4650G, when I booted it had no graphical acceleration since the older driver didn't support the new chip, installed new drivers over the old one and no issues.

I also got hibernation working so to me its just as good as sleep and only takes a sec to boot out of hybernation. I do want to mention when I built it with the 2200g I started with windows 10 version 2004 right out of the gate so maybe thats why I had a easier time going straight to the 4650g then some of the others here. Hope this helps a bit.

Reactions: rubicoin

rubicoin

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jan 12, 2020
Which version of Win 10 do you use? And is there any particular way to re-install Windows I should note of? Pre-install NVMe drivers? And which AMD driver did you use afterwards?

build 19041 (20H1) now, but don't know which one i had before. if you ask me, just reinstall os by wiping whole system drive (not just reformatting, delete and reallocate partitions as well). also i'd just recommend manually installing all drivers needed from asrock product page only (including amd vga driver), and update to adrenalin only if all ok later.

limsandy

Average Stuffer
Jul 3, 2020
Did you use this driver or another?

limsandy

Average Stuffer
Jul 3, 2020

rubicoin

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jan 12, 2020
Did you use this driver or another?

should be ok. personally i use 20.11.1 as newer versions run my dgpu at max vram speed in idle. i guess it does not matter on igpu though. also 11.2 and 12.1 only added support for new titles like shadowlands or cyberpunk which does not even matter for us (even with dpgu, i switched to geforce now for cp2077 to get good fps on high 1080p, but no rtx/dlss recommended even with nvidia servers atm, which is lame af)

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
Is there any way to install drivers only for 4650G? I dont want AMD bloatware installed in my system?
AFAIK, no. But what bloatware? Radeon Software is incredibly useful for configuring things, and uses pretty much zero system resources. Install it and stop worrying about it would be my recommendation. There are a lot of features that simply can't be used without it (enhanced sync, anti-lag, radeon chill, etc.). While open on my system it used ~240MB of system memory and no CPU to speak of. After I closed the window it's down to 5-10MB of RAM, 0% CPU.

Reactions: gustav and rubicoin

limsandy

Average Stuffer
Jul 3, 2020
I just thought by the sheer size of the file package, it must have some bloatware in it?

I'll be installing Windows 10 X64 Enterprise LTSC 2019 Version 1809 Build 17763.1577 before the weekend is over. Wish me good luck! :D

rubicoin

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jan 12, 2020
I just thought by the sheer size of the file package, it must have some bloatware in it?

I'll be installing Windows 10 X64 Enterprise LTSC 2019 Version 1809 Build 17763.1577 before the weekend is over. Wish me good luck! :D

may i ask why enterprise version? you can buy legit win10 pro retail for 10$ these days, for personal use i'd recommend doing so. ignore me if you are building an sff system for corporate use though.

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018

Well, Radeon Software is a comprehensive software suite with drivers for a decade of GPUs, game profiling, screen recording, performance monitoring, overclocking and a bunch of other tools, so a 500MB download isn't surprising to me. Of course you don't need to use any of that unless you want to, and a lot of the background tasks (such as replay recording) are explicit opt-in options at the time of installation. As I said, I wouldn't worry.

Hammerfest

Trash Compacter
Jul 15, 2019
I am still hoping they even make a stable firmware, the one on the main site based on old AGESA 1.0.0.1 is ABSOLUTE GARBAGE and people here have confirmed.

1.2.0.0 or 1.1.9.0 please FFS

Reactions: gustav

alles_alles

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Aug 11, 2020
cezanne support will come to x300 for sure, but does it mean that we can use these apus in a300 with x300 bios as well?
Since bios 3.60L is any CPU Microcode and gpu Microcode in bios included . I see that of screens of one person who analysed the bios with special bios tools