SFF Noobie on board

Hey guys! I realized I never actually posted an introduction, just got a little carried away with all the awesome info here.

So I currently work at a locally owned NAPA, we're supplied by and work very closely with the franchise but we're actually locally owned. So we get to stock all kinds of headaches goodies that customers may not normally find at NAPA. Before that I worked full time graveyards at a truck stop for almost 2 years. Fun fact, graveyard shift sucks.

Anyways, I've been working, building, and tinkering with computers since my older brother started showing me little things when I was quite young. Nothing fancy or complicated (I'm not Tony Stark) but by high school I had enough knowledge to do tech repairs for extra cash.
Unfortunately I get bored and move on so quickly that I have a basic understanding of a lot of things but, aside from computers, don't really have any more "experienced" knowledge. However the one thing I love more than anything is learning.

So with that in mind, I joined SFF.net with the hopes of understanding some of the more complicated parts of custom SFF builds. Its been a blast already, and I've only been here a week or so!

Ceros_X

King of Cable Management
Mar 8, 2016
Welcome - working at a NAPA store must be nice when trying to source random bits of hardware. What PC are you using currently and what is your current interest as far as SFF PCs (DC PSUs, SFF GPUs, etc)?

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Welcome to the forum ! You're in the right place if knowledge and learning about PCs is your interest.

Fireside

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Mar 25, 2017
Welcome - working at a NAPA store must be nice when trying to source random bits of hardware. What PC are you using currently and what is your current interest as far as SFF PCs (DC PSUs, SFF GPUs, etc)?
You're spot on about sourcing odd hardware. Especially when one of my in progress works is doing water cooling with auto parts. Unfortunately on that front I ended up with almost all pc parts, my case has a layout that is simply too small/dated to fit what I wanted in it; specifically a top mounted psu that ruined what I had planned for modding in a transmission oil cooler to attempt fanless radiator cooling.

As far as my goals for SFF to be entirely honest most of the purchasable cases don't interest me much. The thin itx boards fascinate me because I want to build an incredibly small (think NUC) pc that fits the back of my monitor and is relatively quiet, but doesn't sacrifice any much gaming performance. Obviously this is going to require some cooler modding and a custom built case. In fact I originally had a riser build with an NUC laid out and was testing the riser setup and placement when I accidentally fried the NUC. That smoke has a horrendous smell, it was the first component I've ever ruined in my projects too :(
Welcome to the forum ! You're in the right place if knowledge and learning about PCs is your interest.
I really believe I am! I've already learned so much here, and gotten to talk with some very interesting and talented people. I'm hoping to be able to contribute some of the knowledge I've obtained myself so I've been keeping an eye out for relevant threads.

Thanks for all the warm welcomes so far guys :)

Fireside

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Mar 25, 2017
Also, sorry for the double post, but I wanted to add that anyone who has any parts they might need help finding don't be afraid to ask me. Though a lot of times me getting and mailing wouldn't be practical I can give you a part number that will work at any NAPA, and that almost all auto parts stores can interchange to their own part number. Purchasing that part should get you the exact same thing just in a different brand.

Soul_Est

SFF Guru
SFFn Staff
Feb 12, 2016
I heard rumors last year that there was supposed to be a new season coming, but as far as I know nothing came of it :( I've also heard rumors that supposedly Code Geass is getting a reboot as well. That would be even better (for me, at least :p).
While the reboot is interesting, the original is beautiful and holds a special place in my heart.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fireside