Enclosure [SFF Network] Quick Review: Silverstone SST-SF01 Noise Dampening

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
So, with the new year brings new opportunities. In the pursuit of better content, we have decided to focus on YouTube as one of the mediums for our reviews and for this, a quality recording environment is needed. With thought put into the audio and video aspects of the ‘studio’ where the recordings will take place. In this article, I will look at one product that might just help out with the audio side – SilverStone’s SST-SF01 Noise Absorption Foam.

Read more here.

EdZ

Virtual Realist
May 11, 2015
However, the tone of the sound is much deeper, which removes the ‘whine’ of the stock Intel cooler and replaces it with a low hum.
The foam adds some heft to the side panels, adding to a perceived higher value.
I remember from the SPCR-collaborated Antec P180, one of the vaulted features was the composite side panels: a metal-plastic-metal sandwich, intended to cut down on noise by making the panels both stiffer, and damping vibrations over a pure-metla or pure-plastic panel. I wonder if this is the source of the effect the foam has: not so much 'absorption' of sound, but by changing the physical properties of the side panel.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Most noise dampening materials seem to be about adding a lot of mass. It makes me wonder if there aren't more suitable materials to manufacture a case to make it more noise dampening, like an injection-filled composite.