SFF.Network [SFF Network] Noctua at Computex 2016

Noctua did not have a booth at CES earlier this year so the last time we had an update on what they've been working on was a year ago at the previous Computex. This year they have several products in the works that are relevant to our interests.

First up is an update on the slim 120mm fan they've been working on for some time and I have been eagerly anticipating. They originally showed it off at the 2014 Computex and back then it was scheduled to release in the second half of the following year (which obviously didn't happen).

Read more here.

PNP

Airflow Optimizer
Oct 10, 2015
Interesting. The slim 120 appears to use the same fan blade design as their next generation A-series fan (which is also behind schedule and conspicuously absent). I guess that means they have achieved the 0.5 mm gap between blade and frame. Hopefully the non-tonal GT clone won't be far behind.

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
Wonder if that 40x20mm fan may make a good fan swap for the current batch of flex ATX power supplies.

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
I wouldn't count on it. The noise characteristic may be a little more pleasant, but it won't be much quieter overall than the stock fan for the same airflow. A small fan has to spin fast to move lots of air and even Noctua can't get around that.

confusis

John Morrison. Founder and Team Leader of SFF.N
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
I think we should run an Indiegogo campaign next year to fund one of the SFFn staff to go to Computex 2017 :) We are in the awkward position of relying on other news sites to find SFF content from the event this year.

Reactions: Phuncz

IntoxicatedPuma

Customizer of Titles
SFFn Staff
Feb 26, 2016
I keep planning on hopping over to Taipei for Computex, especially now that my cousin is in school there, but all of our projects get scheduled for a summer release so I'm always busy getting stuff ready for submission :(

Maybe next year :\

Btw, if you get a chance to go, eat as much food as you can there. The food is aaaaaaaaaaamazing.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
I think we should run an Indiegogo campaign next year to fund one of the SFFn staff to go to Computex 2017 :) We are in the awkward position of relying on other news sites to find SFF content from the event this year.
Stretch goals:
3,000$: 4 star hotel full-pension
5,000$: SLR camera kit (camera, flash, circular polariser)
7,000$: 5 star hotel high-end room
10,000$: Extra person ("slave") lugging around stuff
15,000$: Complementary illegal drugs buffet
50,000$: Confusis convinces Noctua and Silverstone to sponsor SFFn for 5 years (ANY means necessary)
150,000$: Private jet rental

IntoxicatedPuma

Customizer of Titles
SFFn Staff
Feb 26, 2016
I plan to go next year - I would have gone this year but our project is launching soon and I'm going to US with my girlfriend in September, so money is a bit short. If someone else wants to go I'll team up with them to cover it!

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
There doesn’t seem to be an update to the Active Noise Cancellation project so I’m not sure if it’s still in development or if they determined it wasn’t viable.
According to Tweakers.net (Dutch, so you have to trust me :p) they didn't show the ANC project (they say Active Noise Reduction) because they were focusing on improving the fan design first. The article also says the ANR project is nearing completion. This will undoubtibly have it's own Marketinggeddon.

confusis

John Morrison. Founder and Team Leader of SFF.N
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
Unfortunately the press info I have available to me doesn't have any specs :/

Reactions: jØrd

jØrd

S̳C̳S̳I̳ ̳f̳o̳r̳ ̳l̳i̳f̳e̳
sudocide.dev
SFFn Staff
Gold Supporter
LOSIAS
Jul 19, 2015
Not specifically SFF but an interesting approach Cooler Master are taking with their Maker Made range

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Yeah they have been pretty innovative every now and then, I'm happy this Maker series is getting some momentum, with 3D printers and maker-labs around the world, it's not difficult to "fabricate" parts and most people just lack the knowledge or time to design these.