SFF Houses

TheHig

King of Cable Management
Oct 13, 2016
The question would be, where would we start that village ? I vote New Zealand, @confusis is always going on about how much better it is than other countries.

Hell ya. NZ why not. My wife and kids are visiting family in her ancestral state of Arkansas. So now they want to homestead out in the country with livestock and the whole 9. So why not New Zealand? It looks beautiful there and the kids are young enough to even develop a Kiwi accent which is really fun to listen to.. YOLO. XD

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
3D printed hobbit holes and just cover them over afterward.

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Anyone happen to have any thoughts on Insulated Concrete Forms vs double-stud construction for noise reduction?

confusis

John Morrison. Founder and Team Leader of SFF.N
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
Best noise reduction - move away from people.

The techs you mention seem to be similar in performance, but from a cost and environmental standpoint, double stud wins. Concrete is really bad at end of life compared to wood :/

GuilleAcoustic

Chief Procrastination Officer
SFFn Staff
LOSIAS
Jun 29, 2015
guilleacoustic.wordpress.com
I was going to say that, but it was too late yesterday. It is also the first step to make an SFF village XD

The techs you mention seem to be similar in performance, but from a cost and environmental standpoint, double stud wins. Concrete is really bad at end of life compared to wood :/
Wood for life !

Reactions: NRG and confusis

Pelican

Average Stuffer
May 23, 2017
Funny you joke about that, because there is an effort to start a tiny house village somewhere up north in New Zealand at the moment. I remember reading about it. The plan is to find a large parcel of land and create micro plots which you can buy to put your tiny house on. The problem is finding enough land that is close enough to the urban centres, because there is a lot of interest from young families who want to be close to services. Also, building laws in NZ aren't especially friendly to the tiny house concept... you basically have to get around that by having it is a temporary structure on a trailer.

Reactions: confusis

BirdofPrey

Standards Guru
Sep 3, 2015
Yeah, but that's not sustainable. Your car will waste more resources than your house ever will which is why despite cities being considered dirty and rural areas being considered clean, the per-capita carbon footprint is lower in the city (though larger buildings being more efficient to insulate also helps, less surface area for a given volume).
I always get a good laugh every time I hear about a LEED certified office building being built at the end of the highway, a 45 minute drive from anybody who would work there.

and aside from that, I never got this whole wanting to live rurally of in the suburbs thing anyways. Having to drive just to pick up a gallon of milk and a dozen eggs or get a haircut or do anything really is a huge pain in the ass, and when you don't have a car for some reason (maybe it's broke, maybe you never had one at all), it might as well be house arrest, because good luck walking anywhere.

Reactions: Phuncz

jeshikat

Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015

Been there, done that. It is indeed very quiet but 0.5 Mbps (that's not a typo) DSL is no fun.

but from a cost and environmental standpoint, double stud wins. Concrete is really bad at end of life compared to wood

True, but this is tornado country and ICF is really good for wind resistance (and in particular flying debris) so that's a point in its favor.

Your car will waste more resources than your house ever will

Yes, plus long commute times suck.

K888D

SFF Guru
Lazer3D
Feb 23, 2016
www.lazer3d.com
I've often thought along similar lines when going to huge events like outdoor festivals, concerts, etc. All the lighting, huge screens, fireworks, etc, so much energy being used and what is the impact on the environment? But then when you consider how many people are at the event is 10's of thousands, and if they weren't here what would they be doing? The majority would be sat at home each watching their own TV in their own heated house, when you consider the amount of energy 10's of thousands of homes are consuming it must far out weigh even the biggest of festivals.

GuilleAcoustic

Chief Procrastination Officer
SFFn Staff
LOSIAS
Jun 29, 2015
guilleacoustic.wordpress.com
I really do buy all my electric stuff with efficiency in mind. Been refund on my electric bill this year and my subscription been lowered.

Also saw many human sized villages/town (~4000 inhabitants) with all commodities (including movie theater) when 60k cities have nothing (dormitory town around huge cities)

EdZ

Virtual Realist
May 11, 2015
I'm wondering which country will be the first to enforce all-electric vehicles in a city centre then dome off the city (likely with an inflatable structure). Centralised climate-control for the interior (increased efficiency over distributed climate control), insulation for external temperature swings (plus some sort of shuttering system to modulate insolation), and exclusion of external pollutants. My bet is China.

Reactions: Phuncz and K888D

jØrd

S̳C̳S̳I̳ ̳f̳o̳r̳ ̳l̳i̳f̳e̳
sudocide.dev
SFFn Staff
Gold Supporter
LOSIAS
Jul 19, 2015
I'm wondering which country will be the first to enforce all-electric vehicles in a city centre
What might come first is something along the line of reduced / zero tolls for electric vehicles (im thinking something like London's congestion charge)

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Original poster
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
OK next step: SketchUp !

I actually have a full tiny house designed in sketchup, I'll post screenshots when I'm home.

Also, building laws in NZ aren't especially friendly to the tiny house concept

There are few places that really make it easy for you. In Germany there's no legal lower boundary for the size of a living space, so at least we have that going for ourselves.

I'm wondering which country will be the first to enforce all-electric vehicles in a city centre then dome off the city (likely with an inflatable structure). Centralised climate-control for the interior (increased efficiency over distributed climate control), insulation for external temperature swings (plus some sort of shuttering system to modulate insolation), and exclusion of external pollutants. My bet is China.

They already did something similar with a small part of a city, IIRC, so your bet is reasonable.

jeshikat

Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
@Phuncz out of curiosity, what construction methods have you looked at? Is wood frame housing even a thing there?

zovc

King of Cable Management
Jan 5, 2017
I really do buy all my electric stuff with efficiency in mind. Been refund on my electric bill this year and my subscription been lowered.

Out of curiosity, what monitors do you use? I tried looking into energy efficient monitors like a year ago and didn't find much useful information.

BirdofPrey

Standards Guru
Sep 3, 2015
What might come first is something along the line of reduced / zero tolls for electric vehicles (im thinking something like London's congestion charge)
Something like that would be interesting for sure. I know there's already toll roads and toll bridges that waive all or most of the toll for electric and sometimes CNG or LNG vehicles.
Another thing that I have also seen that can really help uptake is free electricity. I actually recently watched a Vox video where the guy was talking about how many Teslas are on the street there, and he asked around, and apparently recharging is free in places like Oslo which is a major cost-to-own benefit when gas prices are high.
Of course the fact there are major subsidies and tax breaks for such vehicles means the cars themselves are cheaper to buy already

There are few places that really make it easy for you. In Germany there's no legal lower boundary for the size of a living space, so at least we have that going for ourselves.
The US has major zoning problems in general. the Zoning laws were basically built around enabling larger houses so not only do a lot of places have minimum building sizes, most areas are also specifically zoned for single family detached housing. not only does this shut out tiny houses, it's also resulted in something called missing middle housing where you can't build medium density structures such as duplexes, so you're stuck between looking for a house in a neighborhood or an apartment in a large complex on the main streets.

@Phuncz out of curiosity, what construction methods have you looked at? Is wood frame housing even a thing there?
One thing to note: the inside walls of houses actually take up a not-insignificant amount if internal space. Obviously if you have wire runs and piping, you need some spaces inside the walls, but in spots where the wall is empty, it's a good space saver to put other stuff into the wall (eg. only drywall one side and use the space between the studs to build a shallower bookshelf), though your contractor might not appreciate it as much.

Reactions: zovc