SFF EOL Hello Post

Just my hello,

I have built standard mATX/ATX mid-range systems and quite a few budget systems but never got around to SFF. Scared off by the cost and the PSUs in the main. Three months ago, I was diagnosed with stage 4 cancer, the sort that makes short work of you, chemotherapy has been a challenge and I want something that can both use up some PC bits and keep my brain occupied.

My plans are started with a budget Intel embedded MB which I plan to build into a budget case with a 19V external PSU, then, time willing, a nicer AMD 2400G based system in a Perspex case- although I’m obviously here to learn both are bad ideas in all likelihood.

I’m thick skinned and not playing the cancer card but it is relevant as it has meant I’m on social security benefits so dreams of even an i5 based system are not realistic. The Perspex system will be for my 9-year-old son, the embedded system will either be sold on or built into an game emulator or ‘kodi’ type box. That said the Perspex system is coming from China, so its arrival is touch and go and it will be a challenging PC case. I live in Wales, UK.

My ‘daily driver’ is a Ryzen 1600/16GB/1060 6GB/M.2/SSDs based system but it is full sized and built as general purpose with plenty of USB3 and (one) USBC sort of thing. It was built to my budget 9 months’ ago before I was diagnosed and when graphics and memory were expensive.

Reactions: el01

el01

King of Cable Management
Jun 4, 2018
Just my hello,

I have built standard mATX/ATX mid-range systems and quite a few budget systems but never got around to SFF. Scared off by the cost and the PSUs in the main. Three months ago, I was diagnosed with stage 4 cancer, the sort that makes short work of you, chemotherapy has been a challenge and I want something that can both use up some PC bits and keep my brain occupied.

My plans are started with a budget Intel embedded MB which I plan to build into a budget case with a 19V external PSU, then, time willing, a nicer AMD 2400G based system in a Perspex case- although I’m obviously here to learn both are bad ideas in all likelihood.

I’m thick skinned and not playing the cancer card but it is relevant as it has meant I’m on social security benefits so dreams of even an i5 based system are not realistic. The Perspex system will be for my 9-year-old son, the embedded system will either be sold on or built into an game emulator or ‘kodi’ type box. That said the Perspex system is coming from China, so its arrival is touch and go and it will be a challenging PC case. I live in Wales, UK.

My ‘daily driver’ is a Ryzen 1600/16GB/1060 6GB/M.2/SSDs based system but it is full sized and built as general purpose with plenty of USB3 and (one) USBC sort of thing. It was built to my budget 9 months’ ago before I was diagnosed and when graphics and memory were expensive.
Good luck in your fight!