Cooling SFF Cooling

Dawelio

Awesomeness
Original poster
SFFn Staff
Dec 17, 2017
Hello everyone,

So I’m wondering if we might have any potential NCASE M1 or similar case with the Noctua NH-U9S cooler in it?

I’m wondering if anyone has it and their experience with this specific cooler?

Specifically in regards to temps for their specific CPU, but also more so in terms of noise (even though this is highly subjective, I’m more after does it have more of a wind noise or more like a leaf blower)?

I’m also wondering if anyone has any tips on what is the best potential cooling setup for an M1 or perhaps Cooler Master NR200P (Non Max)? Use the CPU cooler as exhaust and have an exhausting fan at the back? Or have them both as intakes?

I have an 2.75 slot GPU, so putting standard fans on the bottom will be difficult. Would slim Noctua fans make any difference? Enough to justify the potential noise addition and cable management?

Thanks everyone,
Dawelio

Neathdrawls

Airflow Optimizer
Jul 28, 2021
As for the NR200, NH-C14S is one of the better options with a 140mm fan on the side bracket feeding fresh air for the CPU Cooler.

As for tower coolers, either the NH-U12A (now in sweet black chromax) or the Scythe Fuma 2 will perform well. Typically, intaking fresh air from the rear will yield a couple of degrees difference, at the cost of more dust (as the stock NR200 doesn't come with dust filters for the rear, but one can just buy dust filters and magnetic strips to diy).

Bottom GPU fans wise, the jury is still out though. Typically, in my experience, bottom fans will help the temperatures during idle or low loads. At high/max GPU loads, they don't make much (if any) difference.

And yub, Machines and More has done a lot of videos on the NR200 too.

Personally, I run a Thermalright PA120 Black with 3 Noctua NF-F12 ippcs in my NR200, running rear intake to cool a 5800X. And it does it job well, but I am not the best judge of noise, as at full tilt of 2000 rpm, the fans scream and it's tolerable as my standing fan next to me is equally loud.

Can't comment on the NCase or U9S though, as I don't own either!

Dawelio

Awesomeness
Original poster
SFFn Staff
Dec 17, 2017
If noise is your main concern, check out this review of a Chromax NH-U9S inside an M1 and NR200.

BTW, what is your GPU?
Thanks for the video tip! Was an Interesting video indeed :)

Currently it’s the ASUS ROG 1080 Ti Strix.

As for the NR200, NH-C14S is one of the better options with a 140mm fan on the side bracket feeding fresh air for the CPU Cooler.

As for tower coolers, either the NH-U12A (now in sweet black chromax) or the Scythe Fuma 2 will perform well. Typically, intaking fresh air from the rear will yield a couple of degrees difference, at the cost of more dust (as the stock NR200 doesn't come with dust filters for the rear, but one can just buy dust filters and magnetic strips to diy).

Bottom GPU fans wise, the jury is still out though. Typically, in my experience, bottom fans will help the temperatures during idle or low loads. At high/max GPU loads, they don't make much (if any) difference.

And yub, Machines and More has done a lot of videos on the NR200 too.

Personally, I run a Thermalright PA120 Black with 3 Noctua NF-F12 ippcs in my NR200, running rear intake to cool a 5800X. And it does it job well, but I am not the best judge of noise, as at full tilt of 2000 rpm, the fans scream and it's tolerable as my standing fan next to me is equally loud.

Can't comment on the NCase or U9S though, as I don't own either!
Thanks alot for that indepth post, much appreciated :)

Isn’t the C14S an down-blowing cooler though? And the U12A doesn’t fit with the TG panel unfortunately :(

Neathdrawls

Airflow Optimizer
Jul 28, 2021
Thanks alot for that indepth post, much appreciated :)

Isn’t the C14S an down-blowing cooler though? And the U12A doesn’t fit with the TG panel unfortunately :(

Ah, you want a cooler that fits the TG. Yeah, the C14S and U12A wouldn't fit then, but will offer the best performance with the vented panel.

Around around 153mm to 155mm tall cooler, Scythe's Fuma 2 or Mugen 5 would be good options with the TG, or if you can get your hands on a Proartist G5.

Vetroo V5; ID-Cooling's SE-224-XT and Hyper 212 (both 212 and 224-XT by removing the top plate of the cooler) are more budget oriented and should be able to fit the TG as well.

Thermalright's Silver Soul 135 would be a good option too, and it will fit the NCase M1 too.

Reactions: Dawelio and rfarmer

Gingerbeer

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Sep 6, 2019
I have the M1 and NR200 along with the NH-U12S, NH-U9S, FUMA 2, Black Ridge (and a couple of others I can't think of right now).

I think the NH-U9S is a fantastic choice for the M1, and the U12S works really well in the NR200 but you can't use a glass side panel, or even the filter mesh on the metal vented panel. I belive the U12A is a better fit in this regard - from what I've seen online, but still no good for the glass panel.

While the Fuma 2 is a good cooler for the NR200, I'd avoid it if your board has a large boxy heatsink enclosing the IO area, like the Asus Z390-i - it can cause problems fitting the cooler - I had to reverse it in my NR200, which wasn't ideal.