Securing streacom heat pipes

Urgannagru

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Sep 28, 2017
Hi, recently brought a second hand streacom fc8 and after much umming and ahhing I've decided on an am4 Apu build. However i'm missing the self adhesive nuts that sit underneath the motherboard to hold the Cpu in place. I've got in touch with streacom but while I'm waiting for a reply wondering if anyone with experience of the heat pipe cooling systems can give me alternatives?
I assume any nuts that fit would work and that the self adhesive properties are unneeded however I don't know what dimensions such a nut would need to be.
Cheers for any help offered

confusis

John Morrison. Founder and Team Leader of SFF.N
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
The nut would have to be correct for the thread (M3 iirc) and large enough not to be able to fit through the holes in the board. The adhesive bit is mostly to aid building :)

Reactions: SeñorDonut

Urgannagru

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Sep 28, 2017
Cheers for the information, really useful. Good call on the nylon washers hadn't even considered that as a way of preventing shorting.
On a related note any recommendations for thermal paste/liquid? I know I'll need alot but wondering if any of it is easier to apply than other types in this context.

msystems

King of Cable Management
Apr 28, 2017
Mx-4 is very good. Liquid ultra is nice but can't use it with aluminum surfaces.

Edit: For the heatpipe, mx-2 should be pretty economical