Prebuilt Second time Zotaz ZBOX 1060 USB problems

kankamuso

Case Bender
Original poster
Jan 17, 2018
Hi all,

This is my first post on the forum. Let it serve to introduce myself and ask about the problem I am facing. I purchased a Zotac Zbox 1060 a year ago. After a few months the back USB 3.0 ports stoped working. They were used just tu plug/unplug a RVG sensor (a kind of dental imaging device, not powered on batteries or anything different than the USB current). We made use of RMA and got a second unit. This one, after a few months is again showing the same problem. So I have to possible reasons:

- Our fault: we are doing something bad but no danger notice nor advertisement from the RVG builder about connecting or disconnecting the device. Don't know if someone is unplugging it forcing the position... can this do any harm to both USB ports?

- Zotac fault: but I have not found anything. Perhaps this is quite an strange model and it is difficult to reach people suffering issues.

I would love to hear from your experiences and get any instructions on how to look for hardware errors.

Can and incorrect unplugging break the USB controller? (remember that both USB 3.0 ports seem to be broken. Opening a second RMA seems difficult to me.

Thanks in advance,

Jose.

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
You're probably being too vigorous with insertion and removal of your USB devices and breaking the solder points on the PCB. This is a common problem with laptop PCs that have soldered down DC jacks. I would suggest going to a local electronic repair shop and just get them to check the contacts and resolder if possible. You could always do RMA if you're still under warranty, but this obviously means you'll be without your device for a while.

Probably a better suggestion would be to get a USB hub attached to one of the remaining functioning USB ports and do all of your frequent plugging and unplugging from that. If you happen to break a USB port on the hub, at worst you have to go on Amazon to buy another 15 dollar item.

Reactions: cmyk78

kankamuso

Case Bender
Original poster
Jan 17, 2018
You're probably being too vigorous with insertion and removal of your USB devices and breaking the solder points on the PCB. This is a common problem with laptop PCs that have soldered down DC jacks. I would suggest going to a local electronic repair shop and just get them to check the contacts and resolder if possible. You could always do RMA if you're still under warranty, but this obviously means you'll be without your device for a while.

Probably a better suggestion would be to get a USB hub attached to one of the remaining functioning USB ports and do all of your frequent plugging and unplugging from that. If you happen to break a USB port on the hub, at worst you have to go on Amazon to buy another 15 dollar item.

Thanks for your response, Kmpkt,

While it seems possible to break one USB port, in this case two of them are (also was with the first computer). If you see the back of the computer, both blue ones are broken:

After an external visual inspection they seem well built and solid... Do you still think this is a possible dual rupture?... If so, what should I look for once opened?, just the paths and a disconnection from them?

Thanks again!

Midiamp

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Mar 15, 2017
michaeladhi.com
They were used just tu plug/unplug a RVG sensor
Do exercise caution with USB ports, although it's made to be plugged/unplugged, it's more geared towards low frequency access (plug a device and forget about it). USB ports connection to the motherboard usually serves double duty as load bearer, meaning frequent plugging and unplugging the male USB cable might weakened the contact. Also, seems like the device is in the medical environment who focuses more on subject rather than the object. There are some tips to disconnect USB male cables, such as pulling it straight with low force and never wiggle the male USB connector or you're weakening the USB contact port. My own routine to unplug any USB device/cable head is to hold it with my thumb and index with my middle finger on the case, pushing and pulling at the same time with small enough pressure. I used to broke several USB port connector before, so I'm more careful now.

At this stage go with Kmpkt suggestion, go to local electronic store and see some disconnected contact point on the USB ports. If indeed that's the issue, the repair process will be fairly easy.

There is this guide about software troubleshooting, worth to try https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/dead-usb-port-heres-how-to-diagnose-and-fix-it/