Scratch build questions

eth0lo

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Aug 17, 2016
Hi I´m just planing a scratch build, and I have a couple of questions:

1. I´m going to do custom cutouts for the intakes, so I was wondering what to use as dust filters?
2. I would like to have sound dumpering foam, Is this useful, or not?
3. I was thinking on using a gtx 1050 ti lp?, how noise are they, I´ve seen the non lp version are dead silent, with smaller fans I don´t know how it would be.
4. I have a solid pcie riser and would love to paint it black to fit the mobo, if this feasable at all? if so what should I use?
5. Finally I would love to make a proximity sensor as a power button (nice to have) but I don´t know what I need or where to start looking, any ideas?

Cheers

Ceros_X

King of Cable Management
Mar 8, 2016
1) a lot of people like Demciflex: http://www.demcifilter.com for filters.

2) I personally don't use it but I think there was an SFFN article covering one brand of it a bit ago here: https://smallformfactor.net/reviews/silverstone-sst-sf01-noise-dampening

3) Do a search, there are a few users who have used one and not been a fan of the fans, pardon the pun. One user changed out the fans in a mod.

4) plastidip should be fine, and you can peel it off if you don't like it. (I sprayed a PC board with some to insulate it and it still works fine)

5) Maybe check this out? https://smallformfactor.net/forum/threads/touch-button.1499/ Not exactly proximity, but right direction depending on the sensativity of the sensor

What kind of case were you thinking of?

eth0lo

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Aug 17, 2016
thanks for all your answers.

i was thinking on a wooden case, with a console style layout

Ceros_X

King of Cable Management
Mar 8, 2016
Sweet, make sure to post a build thread when you get started. Wood traps heat (is an insulator) but is super easy to work with.

owliwar

Master of Cramming
Lazer3D
Apr 7, 2017
thanks for all your answers.

i was thinking on a wooden case, with a console style layout

nice :D love wood casses

Also, about filters, I use cheap thin thighs socks fabric. they sell here in tubular for DIY/crafts projects... i'm not sure if it is a local thing tho

Sweet, make sure to post a build thread when you get started. Wood traps heat (is an insulator) but is super easy to work with.

just make sure there is airflow and it will be fine :3

eth0lo

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Aug 17, 2016
Thank all for your responses, and sure airflow is a great deal that i will take into consideration, one thing that that has been giving me headaches is that most of woodworking pieces that i wanted to use they don't have smaller conterparts, meaning that most of them are 1/2 or 3/4 inch, so that have make me go several times to the drawing board :(

stree

Airflow Optimizer
Dec 10, 2016
For vented panels using MDF, you can use the panels supplied for radiator cabinets, either painted or with the veneer you want. Veneering adds a lot of stiffness to MDF panels as well. I use a router or table saw to cut slots and rebates for panel work, makes it tidier and less visible fixings. There are also fixings for threaded inserts, but these are more suitable for the thicker panels.

Reactions: Ceros_X