Completed Scratch Build: Custom D5 Loop ~12L

CPeck93

Chassis Packer
Original poster
May 2, 2020
Hi Folks!

It's time to whip up a new PC and I want to make it a tiny, no compromise powerhouse.

When I started, I was more than happy to buy one of the several popular sandwich layout cases. Seeing as how high the demand is during normal times, I decided not to hold out for a future run and to build a case from scratch.

I wanted to thoroughly plan the component layout and build the case as custom as possible for exactly what I chose. As i went along, I thought why not add something new I haven't seen anyone do yet? So, to the best of my knowledge, this here's the first case under 13L to include a D5 pump with a dedicated reservoir. The benefit of using a D5, along with 3 total Noctua AF12x25 Fans, is hopefully near silent operation.

I plan on updating this thread as I make progress. right now all we have is a the layout, with an approximate shell around it all to gauge what our total volume is. Right now, the box measures at 12.25L, but that will fluctuate as the design comes together.

Layout

This is a good time for me to show the community and see if anyone sees any giant errors I'm missing. I'm pretty certain the height will need to increase by a few centimeters here and there based on a real life riser cable and not a cad drawing of one.

Also if anyone could point me to where I can source a low profile PSU extension cable, that'll be pretty crucial to building this as I've layed it out.

Reactions: bricemx

bricemx

Chassis Packer
Jan 9, 2018
First all thanks lot for bringing a new kind of case to this community. The same as me, really i never saw other brand or someone do this kind of layout for a case of under 12l.
I was thinking to buy the EK 120mm pump/res combo but i decided to wait for new case to come out with pump/res combo like dice case.
Sincerely if your project goes follow well his track, i will definitely buy your case.

CPeck93

Chassis Packer
Original poster
May 2, 2020
First all thanks lot for bringing a new kind of case to this community. The same as me, really i never saw other brand or someone do this kind of layout for a case of under 12l.
I was thinking to buy the EK 120mm pump/res combo but i decided to wait for new case to come out with pump/res combo like dice case.
Sincerely if your project goes follow well his track, i will definitely buy your case.
Thank you!

I never really had any plans to actually manufacture this as a product. My plan is for a laser cut acrylic/3D printed construction, so if people wind up being interested in it, maybe I’ll sell the files.

that way people can either make the parts themselves or have them made by laser cutting/3D printing services.

bricemx

Chassis Packer
Jan 9, 2018
Oh yes, that's a good idea, i am planning to buy a 3D printer also. Have you ever make a print of the case to see how it stand out?
Otherwise i am interested by the files.
Keep the good work

CPeck93

Chassis Packer
Original poster
May 2, 2020
Its update time!

Oh boy, are there updates. The biggest of which is a change of the res/pump. the killer for the EK FLT 120, for me, was the lack of ports on the pump side of the unit aka the inside of the case. Originally I made a version that routed the res tubing out of the case, but decided I wasn't a fan of the look. However, that layout allowed me to begin planning on optimal tubing run. Even though the cross flow radiator gave me good flexibility to move from one side of the case to other, having the res on one side meant some long, space hungry runs. All this to say I decided to design a distro res/pump combo to act as my front panel.

After a ton of homework and many many CAD hours, I had my final layout and it was time to build an actual case around it. I used the Casemaker platform over on grabcad to build it. The open source Casemaker platform is so robust and well thought out, most of my modifications were to the panels, leaving the bulk of the interior structure of the Model 16 mostly unchanged.

After adding the distro and a little nudging here or there for fittings clearance, the total volume of the case expanded to 14.2L. Had I stuck with a D5 pump, we would've added at least another full liter. As much as I wanted the D5, I wanted to stay under 15L much much more. That being said, I swapped to a DDS pump.

Here are some update photos

So now we're at a point where i can begin to draft prototypes and test everything. I've also put some thought into sharing this design with the community. Originally I thought about selling the files, but the final design was so reliant on an open source platform, it felt wrong to try and profit off of it. So after I complete testing and a first build in it, I'll be releasing the files open source as well. Maybe I'll try reaching out to Casemaker to add it to their library.

Best for last, I came up with a name! Im calling it The Minnow.

bricemx

Chassis Packer
Jan 9, 2018
Its update time!

Oh boy, are there updates. The biggest of which is a change of the res/pump. the killer for the EK FLT 120, for me, was the lack of ports on the pump side of the unit aka the inside of the case. Originally I made a version that routed the res tubing out of the case, but decided I wasn't a fan of the look. However, that layout allowed me to begin planning on optimal tubing run. Even though the cross flow radiator gave me good flexibility to move from one side of the case to other, having the res on one side meant some long, space hungry runs. All this to say I decided to design a distro res/pump combo to act as my front panel.

After a ton of homework and many many CAD hours, I had my final layout and it was time to build an actual case around it. I used the Casemaker platform over on grabcad to build it. The open source Casemaker platform is so robust and well thought out, most of my modifications were to the panels, leaving the bulk of the interior structure of the Model 16 mostly unchanged.

After adding the distro and a little nudging here or there for fittings clearance, the total volume of the case expanded to 14.2L. Had I stuck with a D5 pump, we would've added at least another full liter. As much as I wanted the D5, I wanted to stay under 15L much much more. That being said, I swapped to a DDS pump.

Here are some update photos

So now we're at a point where i can begin to draft prototypes and test everything. I've also put some thought into sharing this design with the community. Originally I thought about selling the files, but the final design was so reliant on an open source platform, it felt wrong to try and profit off of it. So after I complete testing and a first build in it, I'll be releasing the files open source as well. Maybe I'll try reaching out to Casemaker to add it to their library.

Best for last, I came up with a name! Im calling it The Minnow.
Really nice update for the case and im looking forward for the first build. I know we will have print parts but how about the distro? How will you sell the distro?
Otherwise very good case, looking forward. Keep the good work

Shatrod

Cable-Tie Ninja
Dec 6, 2019
Something looks odd about the distro plate. Is the L shaped channel the pump output? I think you will have better performance if it's tangent to the pumps circumference as opposed to centered axially.

CPeck93

Chassis Packer
Original poster
May 2, 2020
Something looks odd about the distro plate. Is the L shaped channel the pump output? I think you will have better performance if it's tangent to the pumps circumference as opposed to centered axially.
yes it is!

its based on the flow of this pump/res from singularity computers

its very possible that its inefficient, but i like the look of it and i think the maximization of the distro's volume is in the spirit of SFF. Then again, you can only get so close to actual tangent of the pump and still hit tolerances for the o-rings, so even there inefficiency is a little unavoidable. at least they way im planning on machining these.

this is my first distro ever so it's probably more likely that you're right, but thats why we test!

CPeck93

Chassis Packer
Original poster
May 2, 2020
Really nice update for the case and im looking forward for the first build. I know we will have print parts but how about the distro? How will you sell the distro?
Otherwise very good case, looking forward. Keep the good work
like i said in the update, im planning on giving the files for everything away once i test the efficacy of everything. Distro included. you'd have to get acrylic routed on a cnc. Currently looking into what my options are for that too.

Reactions: AP2 and bricemx

Shatrod

Cable-Tie Ninja
Dec 6, 2019
yes it is!

its based on the flow of this pump/res from singularity computers

its very possible that its inefficient, but i like the look of it and i think the maximization of the distro's volume is in the spirit of SFF. Then again, you can only get so close to actual tangent of the pump and still hit tolerances for the o-rings, so even there inefficiency is a little unavoidable. at least they way im planning on machining these.

this is my first distro ever so it's probably more likely that you're right, but thats why we test!
Yeah for sure. That singularity distro plate looks awesome but, take a closer look. They do have a tangent channel coming from the pump impeller towards the channel you are trying to replicate. They are just not in the same z plane. I think the tangent part is quite important?

If you want to be in the same z plane you need to do it like this: https://images.app.******/c7ZEubXRBnrh8hiv6

CPeck93

Chassis Packer
Original poster
May 2, 2020
Yeah for sure. That singularity distro plate looks awesome but, take a closer look. They do have a tangent channel coming from the pump impeller towards the channel you are trying to replicate. They are just not in the same z plane. I think the tangent part is quite important?

If you want to be in the same z plane you need to do it like this: https://images.app.******/c7ZEubXRBnrh8hiv6
It cuts through the impeller cavity to make contact in z. I’ll sent you a photo

Reactions: Shatrod

CPeck93

Chassis Packer
Original poster
May 2, 2020
Got all the core structural components laid out in the slicer. We're looking at a total print time of 54 hours and 43 minutes and thats just at draft resolution and quality lol.

mcmaster-carr order is in for fasteners, inserts, and standoffs.

Shatrod has been kind enough to, not only CNC the distro for me, but offer a ton of help in the distro design. I can't thank him enough.

CPeck93

Chassis Packer
Original poster
May 2, 2020
Progress moves forward! Thanks to Shatrod's help we have a better distro design that been machined! I've also printed a prototype of the structural elements of the frame out of PLA. So far, everything is fitting up as intended and looking good!

pics

Reactions: bricemx and Shatrod

CPeck93

Chassis Packer
Original poster
May 2, 2020
Very exciting day of progress today!!!

the distro has arrived!

I made and seated the o-rings, put it all together and mounted it to the final PETG frame. I filled it up, powered on the pump andddddddd click click click. Turns out I don’t have as much clearance as I wanted for the impeller. I backed off the mounting screws just a bit and boom!

It works! I’m floored. I literally can’t believe it. the I bled the air and topped it off and this is what’s been staring back at me for the last hour or so

I’ll leak test this for few hours just to be safe, but so far, it’s holding up! Fingers crossed.

HUGE thank you to Shatrod. He put a ton of time and effort into this thing for free. I cannot thank him enough.

The panels are on their way and I’m nearly done printing out the rest of the final pieces. Pretty soon, I’ll have to actually commit to real hardware for this thing. I’m finding it a little hard with all the 3080 leaks. Maybe you guys can help me decide to either hold off or pull the trigger.

bricemx

Chassis Packer
Jan 9, 2018
Wow, this looks very good, i really like the distro. Very good progress since May. Now :p can't wait for the final hardware.
Thanks lot and keep the good work

CPeck93

Chassis Packer
Original poster
May 2, 2020
Yooooooo

More progress! I've printed the final frame, the acrylic panels have showed up along with the fans and the rad. I did mistakenly order the back panel flipped, so the glossy side is exposed. Idk i kinda think its cool. what do you guys think?

At this point, the case itself is complete! Now its time to get the hardware in there.

Pics