Concept 12L open air distro case

CrabNipples

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
Mar 22, 2020
Hello!

Being inspired by the thermaltake p5, p1 and also the distrocase p350 I was wondering if there was a all distroplate case in Mini-itx form.
I believe I've found a few results but nothing came close to my likings.

I've thrown together some quick sketches in fusion 360 to give an idea of my idea. And hope to make it one day.

Pictures are take with phone from screen, sorry for that will update ASAP.

Open air 12l distrocase

CrabNipples

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
Mar 22, 2020
Update 21/03/2021

This design is not flexible at all and purely for my own personal build.
The plan is to wall-mount this PC or stand it upright on stands/legs

I really love designing this and will work in the future on something more flexible around a 12L mark and focused on watercooling

Dimentions:
L = 70mm
W = 360mm
H = 462mm
Liters = 11.65~

Design:
-Resevoir designed into the distroplate which also functions as a mounting frame for motherboard and gpu (most part under videocard)
-Redesigned and placed a few components diffrently.
-Added slots for cable routing that run underneath the acrylic. (This meanth some path for fluid had to be revamped)
-Allowed more space on edges for screw holes.
-Orinateded PSU so that cable that come in have room to be connected without having to turn around the corner.

Concerns:
-PCI-e extention cable runs directly under motherboard and thus hot cpu backside.
-No or limited airflow over static parts for example; Ram, M.2 drive, backside of cpu and gpu (this will probaly get toasty?)
-Still quite limited space for cables, hopefully with some custom made cables they will be managed propperly.
-Doubts on enclosing or surrounding with frame. (perhaps even top it off with glass panel?)

If you have any toughts, comments or questions feel free. I'd love input

Reactions: JDuval

thelaughingman

SFF Guru
Jul 14, 2018
IMO a single 240 rad is not sufficient to cool top-end CPU & GPU. maybe you can move things around to accommodate larger radiators?

look forward to further update!

Reactions: CrabNipples

CrabNipples

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
Mar 22, 2020
I'm currently planning to move my GTX 1080 ti accross, hence the reffrence model.
But looking at future compapatibility the newest GPU's and CPU's have quite a high TDP, Roughly assuming its 125W for a CPU and 350W for a gpu.
I'm not familliar with cooling preformance of a thick 240mm rad when it comes to such high numbers. so i'll take your word for it not being sufficient.

Currently trying to find a shop or someone located in the netherlands that can machine the acrylic (or polycarbonate) plates so hopefully i'll get some prototying progress soon!

Reactions: thelaughingman