Prototype SC3-STX: 3.5L - Internal PSU - 1080ti Mini support

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
I'm really liking this project so far. It's come longer than any of the console sized ideas I have going on in my head. Do you have 1080 Ti mini ready to try out? :D

Sean Crees

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Jan 1, 2017
I'm really liking this project so far. It's come longer than any of the console sized ideas I have going on in my head. Do you have 1080 Ti mini ready to try out? :D

I'm sending it to Josh from NFC systems to test, he has all the required hardware to test with.

I got the prototype, it has a few issues, but i figured it would, that's why we buy prototypes. I'll be sending it to Josh within the next week to look at.

Sean Crees

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Jan 1, 2017
What issues did you encounter?

Mostly tolerance issues. Some area's need more or less space. Possibly leaning towards switching from aluminum to steel to stiffen up the chassis, as i'd prefer to keep it as open as possible to make working in it easier. Right now there is a bit too much flex in the side panels for my taste. None of these issues affects functionality, just cosmetics of the product.

The main frame was bent in a former, which did a great job, but the bezel was hand bent and didn't turn out as great, so i'm looking at changing the material so everything can get done in their former for tighter tolerances.

Right now only the front and rear of the chassis frame get screwed into the side panels, which allowed the top/bottom to flex more than i would like, so i need to add an extra mounting hole on these sides to pull and hold those panels together when the side panels are on.

One of the vent locations is too large of an opening for Josh's 3d printer. I thought i had accounted for this, but apparently i was off by a few mm.

I don't like the screws used, and i don't like how it came pre-assembled. All the screws were really tight and hard to take out, i think i may have them ship it in pieces so this isn't a problem with a small bag of screws.

While the powdercoat looks great, its a little too shiny for my taste, i'd prefer a more matte look. It picks up fingerprints like crazy.

There may end up being more issues when i send it to Josh and he starts putting hardware in it, but i don't have hardware to test with so i'm not sure about that yet.

oldmonk

Caliper Novice
Dec 26, 2018
Any idea how much it'll affect the overall dimensions? Don't see it happening, but would love to see Josh cover this in a video.

I've struggled to take the plunge into any SFF build (have the Node 202 but feel that doesn't really count), but this is the first where I'd have 0 hesitations since it aligns PERFECTLY with my dream build. From STX, to a 65W CPU (totally agree, more than sufficient), mid/high-tier GPU, brickless, matte (assume you'll change this as it's your preference too?), slim rather than box-like, multiple M2 drives, etc. I'm personally ok with the power button on the back, as well as no front I/O, if that's a compromise worth making.

Truly wish you all the best in creating this. Wish I could provide constructive suggestions/ideas but too much of a noob in this field.

Sean Crees

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Jan 1, 2017
Any idea how much it'll affect the overall dimensions? Don't see it happening, but would love to see Josh cover this in a video.

I've struggled to take the plunge into any SFF build (have the Node 202 but feel that doesn't really count), but this is the first where I'd have 0 hesitations since it aligns PERFECTLY with my dream build. From STX, to a 65W CPU (totally agree, more than sufficient), mid/high-tier GPU, brickless, matte (assume you'll change this as it's your preference too?), slim rather than box-like, multiple M2 drives, etc. I'm personally ok with the power button on the back, as well as no front I/O, if that's a compromise worth making.

Truly wish you all the best in creating this. Wish I could provide constructive suggestions/ideas but too much of a noob in this field.

I don't see the overall dimensions changing at all. Like i said, most of the things that need to get changed are cosmetic. I want it to have that premium look and feel. You can literally just leave the sides and bezel off, and just use the frame, and everything is 100% functional, and the frame turned out perfect.

Reactions: oldmonk