SATA connector on HDPlex 160 - what are those called?

rsjo

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Nov 13, 2016
I’m trying to see if I can find both housing and terminals for that 4 pin connector so I can make my own custom. I took one of the wires out and looked at the terminal but it didn’t look like either a Molex or a fan header terminal.
Are those available to buy and if so can they be assembled with the MDPC-C crimp tool?

royalba94

Airflow Optimizer
AVAENTUM SLEEVING
Apr 2, 2017
Avaentum.com
Looks like a JST 2.54mm XH 4 pin connector.

I found a couple kits on amazon but they're all 100+ pieces and white :/ (not really expensive - around $10)

They also had a few kits with wire pre-installed on the connector so that could be another option. (still all white though)

I might look a bit more when I get home to see if I can find any black ones but that should at least point you in the right direction :)

Oh, and you should be able to crimp them with the MDPC crimpers - just use the smallest section

Good luck!

Reactions: Phuncz

royalba94

Airflow Optimizer
AVAENTUM SLEEVING
Apr 2, 2017
Avaentum.com
I also found this set of 5 connectors and terminals on ebay and it seems you can use dye to color the connectors black if you want.

Here's an article I found about dyeing. RIT Dye seems the popular choice though which exact product you would get depends on the plastic type of the part you're trying to dye.

Reactions: rsjo

rsjo

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Nov 13, 2016
I also found this set of 5 connectors and terminals on ebay and it seems you can use dye to color the connectors black if you want.

Here's an article I found about dyeing. RIT Dye seems the popular choice though which exact product you would get depends on the plastic type of the part you're trying to dye.
That’s exactly what I was after - I’ll be reusing the housing from the HDPlex as the one I just got actually had a black housing but needed terminals.

Thanks!!

Reactions: royalba94

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Thanks for this, I was meaning to get to this one too, I need it for a custom connector. It's apparently difficult to find a black connector, the dye route seems to be not worth it for a part that's almost impossible to see due to the location.

Reactions: royalba94

royalba94

Airflow Optimizer
AVAENTUM SLEEVING
Apr 2, 2017
Avaentum.com
That’s exactly what I was after - I’ll be reusing the housing from the HDPlex as the one I just got actually had a black housing but needed terminals.

Thanks!!

Your welcome, glad I could help :)

Thanks for this, I was meaning to get to this one too, I need it for a custom connector. It's apparently difficult to find a black connector, the dye route seems to be not worth it for a part that's almost impossible to see due to the location.

Np, glad my research back when it came out wasn't in vain ;)

Yeah, I agree - just figured I'd mention it cause some people (myself included sometimes) could drive themselves crazy for not having it match lol.

Good luck with both of your projects! :)

Reactions: Phuncz