News Sapphire Develops a Fanless RX 5700 XT Card for Rack Airflow [TechPowerUp]

Sapphire released the GPRO X070 compute graphics card. This is very much a graphics card, in that it has display outputs, and is based on the AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT, but there's a twist—it's completely fanless. The card has a large triple-slot heatsink cooling the GPU, which is designed to rely on external airflow in rackmount cases, and probably won't work on its own in a tower case. Sapphire says its applications include render farms, or V-GPUs. The card features an AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT that runs at reference clock speeds—1905 MHz max boost, 14 Gbps GDDR6 memory. There's also an "Efficiency Mode" enabled through a secondary BIOS, which runs the GPU at 1750 MHz boost, possibly making the card best suited for crypto-currency mining operations.

I can see this be useful in some SFF builds that have fans right up against the GPU, like the Ncase M1, although unsure if the heatsink overhang fits.
EDIT: only for airflow front to back, my bad !

Now hopefully they'll release a RX 6700 version as well !

Last edited:
Reactions: khanate

paulesko

Master of Cramming
Jul 31, 2019
yes, but the fins on that heatsink are positioned in a way that fans facing the gpu will not move air through the fins... it´s a bit strange... also on sandwich style cases it´s the same problem. Only a front-to rear or the other way round airflow direction will work perfect with that fin orientation.

REVOCCASES

Shrink Ray Wielder
REVOCCASES
Silver Supporter
Apr 2, 2020
www.revoccases.com
Well, its designed for server racks where you usually have high front to back (or back to front) airflow. I think it would only work in normal cases where you have similar wind-tunnel like airflow. Could hook a turbo fan at the front of the card but then it's no longer passive cooled. 😅

Reactions: paulesko

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
Original poster
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
@paulesko whoops you're right, I was aware of the fact when I saw the article the first time but when I went to post it, I forgot that tiny detail :D