S4T Update

AlexTSG

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Jun 17, 2018
www.youtube.com
Just saw this on the NFC YouTube channel, although it appears that Patreons probably had access to this some time ago.

Not only does this look like it will be one of the best premium options for an APU build, but Josh now has an option to connect two S4T cases together to support larger discrete GPUs in a brickless build!

akisu

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jan 15, 2019
Addtional information from the video description:
"There are many small details which are either no longer relevant or have been improved. This is a prototype from summer 2019 afterall! However this video is still valuable as it neatly conveys the key concepts. Check back for newer videos as the case is released sometime in May 2021."

There were also some more information in the last live stream:

AlexTSG

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Jun 17, 2018
www.youtube.com
I'm interested in building a mini nas and home server in it. Hoping to fit 4 2.5 drives in it.

From what I've seen in the videos linked above, this should be available in the first week of May.

Josh is also planning to release another video before then showing all the possible configurations and mounting options, so hopefully that will show how many drives it will be possible to mount.

Of course, there's always double sided tape if there aren't suitable screw holes! 😁

AlexTSG

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Jun 17, 2018
www.youtube.com
I think the timing of this launch works out fairly well, and I can't wait to build into one of these.

AMD are releasing their Zen 3 based APUs (Ryzen 5300G/5600G/5700G) into the DIY market at the beginning of August.

For those wondering what kind of performance an APU build into this case might allow, GamersNexus recently reviewed the Ryzen 5 5600G in a variety of games and applications, and they cover power consumption (which is quite low):

I'm looking forward to international availability as well as the silver colour option.

Edit: GamersNexus has also uploaded a Ryzen 7 5700G review (which includes the 5600G performance numbers), This shows the maximum gaming performance that a CPU/APU with integrated graphics can achieve at the moment:

Last edited:
Reactions: thelaughingman

fabio

Shrink Ray Wielder
Apr 6, 2016
Ready to wait for the Europe Launch! I was looking forward to this release since the first appearance!! Congrats man!

AlexTSG

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Jun 17, 2018
www.youtube.com
I am confused, I thought I had seen it somewhere, does the S4T have ssd mount points?

As far as I remember, this doesn't have mount points for 2.5" drives. Although you may be able to attach them to the multi bracket if you were using an external power brick.

I know the regular S4 Mini has a bracket that can be used for fans or 2.5" drives.

jhautz

Caliper Novice
Jan 30, 2018
Hi. Quick question I'm hoping someone can answer.

I see it stated in a few different threads that the skyslots are "vesa compatible" but I cant seem to find anywhere that explains how to use them to mount on the back of a monitor. Is there some kind of adapter that goes into the slots? Or we just need some big washers? I am working to assemble my S4T now and am not seeing a clean looking way to mount this to the vesa holes on the back of my monitor.

If there was a tutorial or even photos of how to do it published somewhere Id love a point in the right direction. Sorry, but my google research hasn't really returned any solid info.

Thanks for the help.

AlexTSG

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Jun 17, 2018
www.youtube.com
Hi. Quick question I'm hoping someone can answer.

I see it stated in a few different threads that the skyslots are "vesa compatible" but I cant seem to find anywhere that explains how to use them to mount on the back of a monitor. Is there some kind of adapter that goes into the slots? Or we just need some big washers? I am working to assemble my S4T now and am not seeing a clean looking way to mount this to the vesa holes on the back of my monitor.

If there was a tutorial or even photos of how to do it published somewhere Id love a point in the right direction. Sorry, but my google research hasn't really returned any solid info.

Thanks for the help.

Hope this helps:

Reactions: lozza_c and rfarmer

fabio

Shrink Ray Wielder
Apr 6, 2016
Ordered one! But I think I will use it for the NEXT APU iteration! Building now a Luna DNK-H with a 4750G!

thelaughingman

SFF Guru
Jul 14, 2018
Demonstration of the versatility of the platform - stacking of the cases in either or both orientation to expand volume

My take: So if you absolutely love the S4T and planning on hoarding more S4T over the years, this is it. I have also thought about the possibility of something like this and then quickly dismissed it due to various practical reasons. First, at USD 660 just for the 4x S4T involved, not including all the fabrications and custom mods, this is clearly not meant for 99.99% of SFF users, or even 99.99% of SFF enthusiasts. Second, there are too many good cases with better layout and compatibility in the 12-15L volume bracket.

Reactions: rfarmer